mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Wheelset question...

Im on a 2006 Turner RFX with 5.5 rockers and use it as a "fat guy trailbike" (Im 6'1, 215lbs). I need a new wheelset and plan on using some of my tax returns to pay for a set. I dont have too much discretionary cash, so I was checking out a set of 729s laced to Hope II hubs for $350 from Chain Reaction. Im just looking for any feedback on this wheelset or advice on a different wheelset that might be better suited for me. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    those will be a very good heavy duty set of wheels. crc has the best prices on custom wheels and their build quality is decent too. hell, you can't even buy the parts to build your own wheels for less than their custom wheels. mavic wheels are still tops and the 729 is almost overkill. a nice alternative is halo freedom disc rims. they're the same as the syncros ds28 without the ghey bead lock. better finish on the halos over the syncros as well.

mtbr member
    I'd go 721 myself. Lighter, excellent tire profile too.
    Stuff.

Team Sanchez
    I think the 729's will be overkill for your intended purposes. I run 729's on my Highline, and I weigh 225. I beat the hell out of them. Look for a 500-550 gm hoop laced to a decent hub. If all you are using them for is trail riding with some occasional air, they should last you a long time. Qbert's recommendatin for the DS28 is solid. I"m rocking DS 25's on my 5-pack, and they are holding up great.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

thanks...

for the feedback so far. Im definately going with Hope hubs because Chain Reaction has such great deals. Now, I just need to figure out rims and 721s might be the way to go for me...