Thread: Wheel bling

rr
    I don't do PC

Wheel bling

Checkout the new rear wheel , it's going on the Burner. Hadley 10mm bolt on/108pt freehub/UST rim/Larry build-thanks Larry! Hoping this setup will be a bit stiffer and solid than my Hope XC/QR wheel

Stupid question- I'm assuming the tab on the axle nut is to fit into the dropout but which side, does it matter? I'm thinking the non drive side.

Fuhgetaboudit
    Dec 2004

Sweeeeetttt!

Sur is Purdy!!

Larry is THE MAN for Wheel Building!!

rroeder,
    Thats a sweet rear wheel. I like the look of the bolt on axle. Were you having some trouble with a standard QR wheel, or just looking for something more stiff? Just curious as to why you went that route. (You never know what you might be missing...right?)

Cheers
    CD

Brass Nipples!
    For a rear wheel, I'd think the tab should go on the drive side. On my Pugsley, I had some axle movement in the horizontal dropout until I put a tuggnut on the drive side (only).

I've never had braking forces move the axle, so it seems that drive forces have more torque at that location (at least for horizontal dropouts).
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    rroeder,
    Thats a sweet rear wheel. I like the look of the bolt on axle. Were you having some trouble with a standard QR wheel, or just looking for something more stiff? Just curious as to why you went that route. (You never know what you might be missing...right?)

Cheers
    CD
    I could of gone the QR route with the hub but it came this way and it's easily converted so I thought I would try the bolt on. I'm hard on rear wheels and my Hope XC hub developed freehub issues after less than a year, this setup should be bullit proof and hopefully the stiffer connection is easier on the hub.

Funny thing is I've had better luck with rear hubs on my Foes, even though I ride it harder, due to the stiff one piece rear. I think the added flex on Turner's design(compared to the Foes at least) is causing hub problems, this is my 3rd rear wheel on the Burner in less than a year.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    For a rear wheel, I'd think the tab should go on the drive side. On my Pugsley, I had some axle movement in the horizontal dropout until I put a tuggnut on the drive side (only).

I've never had braking forces move the axle, so it seems that drive forces have more torque at that location (at least for horizontal dropouts).
    Thanks Bob, that makes sense, should I crank on the bolt to tighten it or just snug it down? I don't have a torgue wrench.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Thanks Bob, that makes sense, should I crank on the bolt to tighten it or just snug it down? I don't have a torgue wrench.
    A fairly good crank. Quite a bit more than just snug, but less than all out. I'd guess I'm pulling with about 50-60 pounds of force using a 6 inch 8mm allen wrench with my King funbolts.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Lay off the Levers
    Aaaah spring. The time of year when a Homer's fancy turns towards Larry...uh, I mean UGI
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know what it is but I like the hadley bolt-on system so much better than a regular QR. You are going to really like that wheel. Have a shop take some grease out so it makes a lot more noise when you coast. It's not the angry bee like a CK, it's more like the cylinder from a colt .45 in an old spaghetti western...

TC3
    mtbr member
    what kind of spokes are these?
    Nice wheel!
    I'm waiting my wheels from Larry as well

rr
    I don't do PC
    Got the wheel on, looks stealth with the bolt-on, I think I want to go with a bolt-on for the front King hub now! Test ride later today.

TC3- I think they are DT 14/15 spokes, standard fare. Yeah, Larry is in high demand, the wheel this one is replacing(also a Larry build) is going to Hope to have the freehub looked at and they said to breakdown the wheel and just send the hub but I said no way! I'm shipping the whole wheel cause it's still perfect after 10 months use and I didn't want to ruin the build.

Hisforever
    Hadleys.........................r................. .........#1.
    Jesus Saves

Baked Alaskan
    Cool stuff, the bolt on axle is interesting. I've always thought the King bolts were a good idea, busting out a wrench to pop a wheel off doesn't seem like much of a PITA.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thanks guys, did a ride yesterday, this wheel is nice!

El Chimichanga- it does sound like revolver, very cool, it's actually very quiet. The rear end of the Burner definitely felt solid, felt like less wheel deflection and the rear end seemed to track a little better. I noticed the quick engagement the most though, when you hesitate between shifts and start cranking again it's instant, no delay.