Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    517

    What's your favorite rear wheel setup?

    My Crossmax is on its fourth freehub body and the cassette is beyond wobbly making the rear shifting problematic.

    I thinking about a 32 spoke DT Swiss 240 hub, with a 819 mavic rim and 14/15 butted spokes, brass nipples on the drive side and alloy nipples on the other side. I'm riding a Burner with Paul's rockers and I weigh a 180,

    I'm also considering a Hadley rear hub, but I don't like the noise. The noise of the King would insufferable. Nothing worse than a noisy poacher!

    Thanks,

    Kane

  2. #2
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    love my 340 on the rfx. nice and quiet, same hub as the 240 w/ a steel axle and freehub body for the drops. im a big fan of the bontrager mustang disc hoops on my burner or a dt 4.1 with dt comps and alloy nips all around. at 180, brass may be overkill. im 15 lbs lighter w/o gear, ride basically the same bike in the az tech and never had a issue.

    i know, its the ft wheel but it was a much better shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

  3. #3
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,421
    I like DT 4.1's for a lighter trail rim. If you want a 500g rim similar to the 819, I generally choose DT 5.1's.

    Even as a "freerider" type, I've never had issues with alloy nipples.

  4. #4
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,578
    Hub...take your pick....quick engagement or "noisy."

    The DTs engagment is too slow for my taste but it's a reliable hub.

    I prefer the I-9/King/Hadley variety and groove to the buzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Life....the original terminal illness

  5. #5
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Hub...take your pick....quick engagement or "noisy."

    The DTs engagment is too slow for my taste but it's a reliable hub.

    I prefer the I-9/King/Hadley variety and groove to the buzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Second the Hadley's. Had my rear hub apart and it is a very simple and well build mechanism.

    I have 340's on my spot, and I agree, the engagement is not as quiuck, but they have been bullitproof and easy to service.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  6. #6
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    910

    Just went from DT340 to King..........

    I just went from the DT340 to Chris King. This was the best upgrade I have ever made.

    No wasted energy, every movement forward on the cranks is adding speed. Hard to explain in words, but the instant engagement is an incredible improvement in the cycling experience and one that I never really knew I was missing.

    I think that the I9s, Hadleys and maybe the Hopes have instant engagement also, but I only know about the Kings. Get out your wallet though...

    bobo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    348
    Anyone know how many points of engagement the 240s has?

  8. #8
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE
    Anyone know how many points of engagement the 240s has?
    Same as 340's. They have the same internals. I think it's 36.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  9. #9
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Same as 340's. They have the same internals. I think it's 36.
    Actually it's only 18pt. Hope is 24, Hadley & King are 72, I9 is 120.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    348
    Thanks Larry, That would be a deal breaker for my next build.

    I've seen a hub form True Percision called the Stealth. It reviews out well but I rarely see it mentioned in these forums. Do any of you have any experience with these hubs. They look like exactly what I would want in a hub; instant engagement and quiet.

    http://www.trueprecision.net/c_products_mountain.html

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE
    Thanks Larry, That would be a deal breaker for my next build.

    I've seen a hub form True Percision called the Stealth. It reviews out well but I rarely see it mentioned in these forums. Do any of you have any experience with these hubs. They look like exactly what I would want in a hub; instant engagement and quiet.

    http://www.trueprecision.net/c_products_mountain.html
    I thought they discontinued those hubs years ago. They were quiet and technically had instant engagement. When they engage they actually flex a bit, but don’t slip, so they feel a bit mushy. They were pretty cool for trials, but they had a lot of drag and some back pedaling issues leading to chain suck. It looks like they have intentions of building a new version sometime in the future.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,205
    Seeing as you donít like the noise of the King or Hadley hubs, our next favorite at Go-ride.com is the Hope Pro2 hubs. They are surprising light, durable, and well priced. Plus they come in a lot of colors if thatís your thing.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

  13. #13
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Actually it's only 18pt. Hope is 24, Hadley & King are 72, I9 is 120.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    I guess that's why I'm an eye doctor!


    Edit: upon further review Larry, you need two of these little 18pt thing-a-ma-gigs (see pic). And that adds up to 36. Scoreboard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 05-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  14. #14
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,435
    Noisy hubs have an advantage; the noise alerts bears that you are in the area, chances are you won't surprise them, which might provoke them to attack you. Hopefully, your neighbor, who's land you are poaching, is hard of hearing as well.
    I like my hadleys; this is one of the 108 point hubs that's no longer available. Larry, does this wheel look familiar to you?

    ****

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    The gf runs one 240 on an 819 and a 340 on an 819. Good stuff. Engagement points is more of a perk than necessary, obviously. Some will lead you to believe you need 1,440 engagement points.

    In any event, they work and work extremely reliably at that.

  16. #16
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The gf runs one 240 on an 819 and a 340 on an 819. Good stuff. Engagement points is more of a perk than necessary, obviously.
    In the same way that disc brakes are a perk over rim brakes and well tuned suspension is a perk over stock suspension and good tires are a perk over crappy tires and a Turner frame is a perk over a Huffy.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  17. #17
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,424
    What is it with "noisy" hubs? What's the big deal? It's not like you need earplugs or something.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    348
    I can take some noise from a hub but perfer a quieter one. I do want better engagement than the LaserDisc Lite hubs I have now. This rear hub failed on me 3 times last year and only has 12 engagement points. I don't turst it anymore. Right now I'm only looking at replacing the rear wheel and leaning towards a new XT hub laced to a 4.2d. Can be had for $140 form Colorado Cyclist and they do a good build. Any of you ridden the new XT yet. 36 points will feel much better that what I have. Only quesiton is durability.
    Last edited by WV_XCE; 05-15-2008 at 01:16 PM.

  19. #19
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Noisy hubs have an advantage; the noise alerts bears that you are in the area, chances are you won't surprise them, which might provoke them to attack you. Hopefully, your neighbor, who's land you are poaching, is hard of hearing as well.
    I like my hadleys; this is one of the 108 point hubs that's no longer available. Larry, does this wheel look familiar to you?


    Rene, do you have some sort of "fear" of cable guides? Don't like DT's placement of said cable guides? Or do you prefer to adorn your bike with cable ties??
    Astigmatic Visionary

  20. #20
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,435
    John, with the SRAM rear derailleur, the braze-on cable housing stop is not lined up at all. That braze-on works great for "shimano I need a big housing loop for lots of friction and contamination potential". Look at the pic again, the poor alignment is obvious.
    At the time DT had this frame made, the braze on was in the right place. I'm merely adapting to the times.
    ****

  21. #21
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Actually it's only 18pt. Hope is 24, Hadley & King are 72, I9 is 120.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    whoa nelly! let's be a little more clear about this. king is the only hub on the planet with 72 pt engagement, all others are 3. points of engagement is completely different than degrees of rotation between points of engagement. kings use a ring drive which gives 72 points of engagement every 5 degrees of rotation. hadley uses 3 pawls (like every other hub) giving 3 points of engagement every 5 degrees.

    I ride only kings, not only for quick engagement but also for the 72 point engagement, great machining, and complete user servicability.

  22. #22
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    whoa nelly! let's be a little more clear about this. king is the only hub on the planet with 72 pt engagement, all others are 3. points of engagement is completely different than degrees of rotation between points of engagement. kings use a ring drive which gives 72 points of engagement every 5 degrees of rotation. hadley uses 3 pawls (like every other hub) giving 3 points of engagement every 5 degrees.

    I ride only kings, not only for quick engagement but also for the 72 point engagement, great machining, and complete user servicability.
    I hear ya DB. My Hadley actually has four pawls. I've seen a pic of the three pawl version. I think Larry is referring to the number of postions the pawls can engage at. They don't engage all simultaniously. Are you saying the King hubs engage all at the same time?

    But the DT swiss hub has 18 points of engagement as those two surfaces in my pic are in apposition with eachother.
    Astigmatic Visionary

  23. #23
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    John, with the SRAM rear derailleur, the braze-on cable housing stop is not lined up at all. That braze-on works great for "shimano I need a big housing loop for lots of friction and contamination potential". Look at the pic again, the poor alignment is obvious.
    At the time DT had this frame made, the braze on was in the right place. I'm merely adapting to the times.
    I don't know what your are talking about. I've got no awkward bends
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

  24. #24
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

    I prefer the I-9/King/Hadley variety and groove to the buzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Noisy hubs are happy hubs. Love my Hopes (not as nice as King or Hadley) and looking forward to my Hadleys (hint hint Larry )
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  25. #25
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,264
    26"..
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •