Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's the big difference?

Was pondering, what would be the biggest difference I'd notice switching from a 06 rfx to a 09/new dw spot? I'd move everything over from the rfx to the spot, including the talas 36. What would be the biggest difference? the weight? geometry? "pedalability"? Reason for the questions is that some of the local trails are expanding to more "mountainous" terrain where there's a lot of tech climb and a lot of gnar downs. the tech climbs hurt pretty good on the rfx. I gotta say though, it's going to take a lot impress me b/c the rfx is pretty flippin' awesome. flame on!

here's the current rig:

mtbr member
    oh yeah, the pic shows rfx rockers, I'm running 5.5 spot rockers now.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tiles
    oh yeah, the pic shows rfx rockers, I'm running 5.5 spot rockers now.
    Geometry is going to be the biggest difference. The new DW spots are pretty beef, and can take some serious abuse. I'd stick with the RFX, and hold out for the DW RFX. The spot might be a step backwards in terms of DH handling.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Elitest thrill junkie
    The main thing for me was simply how it rockets forward with each pedal stroke. Uphill is especially good, whereas my 6-pack/rfx squats a lot and it just feels like it's robbing tons of energy comparatively. It's hard to really quantify until you've done it on the DW, but yes, IMO this is a pretty big improvement. The suspension quality is better too with the light-compression damping. It kind of depends on your current settings and such, but the 5spot with the air-shock was one of the few air-shock equipped bikes I feel has decent suspension quality, rather than just being over-damped and harsh like many others. The spot is a little less agressive, but not by much, and it can take a 160 fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    do the new spots have iscg tabs? if not, that's one thing I'd miss from the rfx. I know I can use the sandwich plate but I've always liked using the tabs.

I wish there was somebody local that had a dw I could try...maybe I'll be the first so ppl that are in my boat down the road can try mine ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ISCG tabs are not standard but I believe DT will add them by request. Not for free but I cannot remember the cost.

mtbr member
    no ISCG tabs - JM nailed it - the anti squat is all it's cracked up to be...climbing is a big improvement...search for posts by 1soulrider - his experiences were a big contribution to my going from 08 RFX to 10 spot - I wrote a mini review at some point too...

Team Sanchez
    JM speaks the truth, however, suspension squat on the TNT version isn't nearly as bad as the Horst LInk version. If you will be DHing your bike on the steeps, and catching air every chance you get, I'd hold on to your current RFX, and hold out for the new one. The Spot is still really an AM bike. Here's a couple of example of what the old RFX is capable of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the big difference?-tb7.jpg  

What's the big difference?-money6.jpg  

What's the big difference?-bj14.jpg  

Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    oh yeah, I'm fully aware of the burliness the rfx possesses. I've been thrashing one off and on since the 06 version came out. I guess the point is, I saw the thread about people running the 36 on the newer dw spots with good success and the fact that they pedal so good - just put 2 + 2 together that it might be viable for me. the type of riding I do is tech singetrack with the occasional mountain run and some stuntage here and there. no drops to flat and usually I'm pretty smooth. thinking the rfx might be overkill if the new spot is everything peeps are saying it is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The main thing for me was simply how it rockets forward with each pedal stroke. Uphill is especially good, whereas my 6-pack/rfx squats a lot and it just feels like it's robbing tons of energy comparatively. It's hard to really quantify until you've done it on the DW, but yes, IMO this is a pretty big improvement. The suspension quality is better too with the light-compression damping. It kind of depends on your current settings and such, but the 5spot with the air-shock was one of the few air-shock equipped bikes I feel has decent suspension quality, rather than just being over-damped and harsh like many others. The spot is a little less agressive, but not by much, and it can take a 160 fork.
    What about steep gnarly stuff and high speed twitch with the steeper head angle compared to the rfx? Do you feel like you can plow through every thing like the rfx?

gnuH
    nevermind
    Last edited by kiwirider; 03-09-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

bump and grind
    I currently have both RFX (08) and the DW Spot. Upon getting the DW Spot I at first transferred all the RFX goodies (Van 36, Atlas cranks-bash-Stinger chain tensioner, etc.)

Verdict: The Spot was just as enjoyable as the RFX on the downs. I feel it can do what the RFX can do on the descents. Plowability? Yes, with the Van36.
    Jayem speaks the truth when it comes to pedalling. The RFX squats down while the Spot scoots forward. The thing is easier to climb whether smooth or technical. Even more so on the technical.

BUT, I have a feeling thrashing the Spot like that will eventually lead to wear, tear and breakage.

Keep the RFX for the thrash sessions and the Spot for the AM/trailriding.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Railer
    Better Question:

Why did pjlama go from owning 2 DW 5-spots to owning a Pivot and very possibly a Giant.
    Don't believe the hype

I say if you have to ask this question, you probably should have never owned the RFX to begin with. So many options with that bike!
    The DW Spot flat out rips. He probably cycled through bikes because he's new to riding and is in the mindset that changing bikes will make him better. Plus you have his ear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2
    I currently have both RFX (08) and the DW Spot. Upon getting the DW Spot I at first transferred all the RFX goodies (Van 36, Atlas cranks-bash-Stinger chain tensioner, etc.)

Verdict: The Spot was just as enjoyable as the RFX on the downs. I feel it can do what the RFX can do on the descents. Plowability? Yes, with the Van36.
    Jayem speaks the truth when it comes to pedalling. The RFX squats down while the Spot scoots forward. The thing is easier to climb whether smooth or technical. Even more so on the technical.

BUT, I have a feeling thrashing the Spot like that will eventually lead to wear, tear and breakage.

this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I have a feeling the fork (for obvious reasons) is really going to dictate the handling characteristics of the spot.

As far as thrashing, I really don't do that. There's nowhere around here for that type of riding. There are shuttle runs not too far from me but I'm not really into that. I'm into epic trails with tech gnar decents, tough climbs and the occasional small creek gap. I think the dw spot with the talas might would work just fine...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    What about steep gnarly stuff and high speed twitch with the steeper head angle compared to the rfx? Do you feel like you can plow through every thing like the rfx?
    I had my RFX that day, and the 5 spot didn't seem to give up much in that department. Another way to put is that when I demoed the dw sultan, I felt that the 5 spot was a much more agressive bike, much better angles, and so on. Sure, the sultan may not endo and carry more speed or whatever, but I felt much more comfortable railing on the 5 spot, making quick line changes, and taking downhills at speed. I think the 160mm fork will make a difference in this area, remember that it will slacken the bike out quite a bit.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Railer
    Or maybe riding in NM improved his skills such that he outgrew the new crop of Turners. I'm not holding my breath for the RFX either...
    LMAO

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2

I agree with most of this. In going from a 07 RFX to the new Spot I felt that I gave up nothing and gained quite a bit. The bike works better uphill and down. The increase in lateral rigidity was a big plus for me, you really can feel it when loading into corners hard. The headangle on the DW Spot with a 36 is about 67.5, right about the same as my old RFX. The bb is lower the frame mass feels lower, all of this makes it corner noticeably better than the RFX.
    About the new Spot not taking a thrashing, within reason it should hold up very well. Obviously not a huck bike, but it isn't fragile either.
    I generally never keep a bike for more than a season, going on 18 months with my Spot and no plans to buy a different bike any time soon.

Wicketed
    damn you all, i was quite happy with my 6pack before this thread...........
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    I spaced down a 36 RC2 to 150mm - head angle is 68 degrees (same as RFX) and I have the benefit of bigger stanchions than say a Fox 32 or RS Rev - plus the bike climbs great and doesn't feel choppered like it does when trying to climb steep stuff at 160mm. The slight reduction in a-c at 150mm does make a noticeable difference..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Also thinking about a 08RFX --> DW spot switch, probably in a few months.

I wonder what the 08 RFX would feel like with a 7.5x2.0 shock. Theoretically is should result in a ~140mm rear travel, lower BB and somewhat slacker angles. and thus climb a little better, and most importantly would be a good quick comparison on how the 20mm travel reduction in the rear will affect the technical merits of the RFX. I need to find such a shock from a friend and try it out. Or even better, it really is about time for a DW spot test ride.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

~~~~~~~~
    Mr. T, if you're running 5.5 rockers now on the rfx then it makes sense to go with the dw spot.

tald, I don't think the 7.5x2 on the 08 rfx will improve anything, i.e. intended ratio, wheelpath, etc. is better for performance than lower bb, slacker, and it definatly won't climb better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Get the DW Spot. You won't give up anything on the downs and gain a whole bunch of speed on the climbs. What's not to like?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm going from a DW Spot to an RFX. Keep yours I would say. The DW Spot has a lot of pedal kickback you won't like (I don't). Yes, the DW pedals better uphill, but on the rough flat sections while pedalling seated I notice the kickback too much.
    Last edited by zonoskar; 03-10-2010 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm going from a DW Spot to an RFX. Keep yours I would say. The DW Spot has a lot of pedal kickback you won't like (I don't). Yes, the DW pedals better uphill, but on the rough flat sections while pedalling seated I notice the kickback too much.
    "Pedal kickback" is one of those things that some feel, some feel a lot (you) or some never feel ever (me). To say to the OP that he "won't like the DW Spot's pedal feedback" doesn't really tell him anything.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    "Pedal kickback" is one of those things that some feel, some feel a lot (you) or some never feel ever (me). To say to the OP that he "won't like the DW Spot's pedal feedback" doesn't really tell him anything.
    Well, it tells him to try a DW Spot out before he sells his current RFX.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast