Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What year RFX is this

Found this one for sale and I'm confused as to what year it actually is. It has the 6pack rockers I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    2002 in a large size with Pack rockers
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Is it a good idea to buy such an 'old' frame (ride qualities aside)? The bushings have been replaced last year.

mtbr member
    I am sure it will perform fine but they are very heavy.........it's not as easy to lug around as an 07/08 which is more all mtn light freeridey

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I am sure it will perform fine but they are very heavy.........it's not as easy to lug around as an 07/08 which is more all mtn light freeridey
    Yeah, 1 lb totally kills you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I thought it was 1.5 lbs, but that does not concern me very much. What concerns me more is the availability of spare parts such as bushings. Also from a durability point of view. It's a sturdy bike, but it's also old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    I thought it was 1.5 lbs, but that does not concern me very much. What concerns me more is the availability of spare parts such as bushings. Also from a durability point of view. It's a sturdy bike, but it's also old.
    Bushings/pivots are the same for all Horst/TNT frames '98-'08 I think. Push even makes some super special bushings. $35/w new seals.

Team Blindspot
    Very Sturdy, bushings are readily available for Turner. You won't care what it weighs when you point it downhill.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Does look like an '02.

I've had one for the last 6 or 7 years. You won't break the front triangle. No really - you won't. The disc mount *might* give up if its one of the style where the recesses have been machined all the way through, but I suspect all of those have been replaced already - can't really tell.

They're great bikes - sort of a cross between a Spesh Enduro and an SX Trail. Mine's hefty (37lb) in XC guise, but climbs like a (fat) goat, and can embarass much bigger bikes DH. Its been to the Alps many times, Vancouver and Whistler, done the Megavalanche twice, plus a shedload of trail riding and playbiking.

Bushings and mech hangers are the same for all pre-DW (and possibly even current) bikes. TNT 5.5Spot rockers bolt straight on - lower the BB a fraction, lose 0.5" of travel, but reduce the leverage ratio. (in 6" mode it's quite hard on shocks).

Great bike, all in. I've been looking to change mine for the last 3 or 4 years, but can't find anything that's as all round good.

Outcast
    fo what it's worth, my 2002 rfx with 5.5 rockers, an x-fusion H3 air shock, real solid parts, and nothing stupid light on it, weighs 32.68 pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Where do you get 1lb from Sherlock? Plucked from your ar$e is my guess.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Jayem, the Op said he was looking to build up the bike for all-mountainish riding, in which case, one pound does make a difference. Just cause you ride a 68 pound highline with the monster T on it for xc riding doesn't mean everybody should ride that way.
    My '02 rfx has been built up as heavy as 40'ish pounds, and as light as it is now [32.68]. For what I do with it now, the lighter weight is welcome. for s h i ts and grins, I bolted my 6.5 pound 66rc2x on the bike recently for one ride, and I hated it. heavy is stupid

mtbr member
    We all know JM is easily as gnar core as 123. My point was that an 07/08 RFX is better suited to AM riding Than am 02 plus the difference between an 02 RFX with coil and a 07/08 RFX frame with RP23 is more like 3 lbs. Which in my estimation is of consequence.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Z, what's wrong with your 5 Spot? It can be setup to be a great AM rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Z, what's wrong with your 5 Spot? It can be setup to be a great AM rig.
    I like the way the 5Spot handles, but I hate the pedal kickback. Uphill, this 5Spot is unbeatable and downhill it gives a lot of confidence, but I cannot get used to the feeling you get when you ride over an obstacle and the suspension pulls on the chain when compressing and gives chain when it releases. No more DW bikes for me I guess. I'm hoping this RFX will handle the same (or maybe better?) but without the kickback. And have a little more travel. If I like this one, I might even sell the 5Spot. I'm n ot really concerned with the weight, my 5Spot weighs 30lbs, so the RFX should come in at 31.5lbs. I might even ditch the Vanilla shock to lose some weight.

I just bought the frame The seller indicated the paint is in good nick and the shock was replaced in April 2009, along with the bushes. The discmount is not the one that has been machined out, but solid. Initially I'll use the parts from the 5Spot to try it out. The Revelation I have is originally only 140mm, but I had it extended to around 145mm (my LBS rocks!) but even then it's a bit short for this frame. But I thought with the 6"rockers, which lower the BB a bit and slacken the HA, the shorter fork would compensate a bit and restore the original handling traits. Eventually, I'll buy a new, longer travel fork if I like the bike.

I just hope DT approves

Hisforever
    Thats a great rig, I still think about the classic rfx from time to time. feels much more solid than the lighter new one. not that its worth anything but i prefer the older one, the weight and all, bring it on. dont be a pu$$y and complain about 1/2 lb or 3/4lb difference, i'm tired of hearing roadiewannabe wanker weight weenie comments
    Jesus Saves

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Thats a great rig, ... dont be a pu$$y and complain about 1/2 lb or 3/4lb difference, i'm tired of hearing roadiewannabe wanker weight weenie comments
    Quoted for truth !!
    Nick.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I like the way the 5Spot handles, but I hate the pedal kickback. Uphill, this 5Spot is unbeatable and downhill it gives a lot of confidence, but I cannot get used to the feeling you get when you ride over an obstacle and the suspension pulls on the chain when compressing and gives chain when it releases. No more DW bikes for me I guess. I'm hoping this RFX will handle the same (or maybe better?) but without the kickback. And have a little more travel. If I like this one, I might even sell the 5Spot. I'm n ot really concerned with the weight, my 5Spot weighs 30lbs, so the RFX should come in at 31.5lbs. I might even ditch the Vanilla shock to lose some weight.

I just bought the frame The seller indicated the paint is in good nick and the shock was replaced in April 2009, along with the bushes. The discmount is not the one that has been machined out, but solid. Initially I'll use the parts from the 5Spot to try it out. The Revelation I have is originally only 140mm, but I had it extended to around 145mm (my LBS rocks!) but even then it's a bit short for this frame. But I thought with the 6"rockers, which lower the BB a bit and slacken the HA, the shorter fork would compensate a bit and restore the original handling traits. Eventually, I'll buy a new, longer travel fork if I like the bike.

I just hope DT approves
    Interesting. I'm not sure about the pedal kickback under shock compression you're referring to. For 5.5 bike it's butter in chunk. Good luck with the new one. My brother just bought an 06 HL 6 Pack frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry to drag up an old post but can't seem to start a new thread and can tell there's allot of knowledge of old Turners lurking around.

Bought my RFX new in mid 1999. Love it so much and it's so solid I've decided to do some upgrades. First obstacle is the rear caliper mount. Photo below is what I have now with old Hayes FX mounted. The adaptor bolts on to rear tri (not the hollowed out type mentioned earlier in this post, thats good).

I want to upgrade to 2012 XT M785 which are post mount. Have looked high and low on the 'net and see no adaptor anywhere near this type. Any ideas where I could look and for what? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What year RFX is this-rfx-brake-mount.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Meant to add, this is how the 1999 RFX sits now. Marz Mr. T and all...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What year RFX is this-1999-rfx-2011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    2xTurner, give Greg a call @ Turner, he found an adapter for me on a trade in, cost like 35 bucks, or something like that. Well worth it to run modern units.
    Robbrt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Robbrt, After more digging ran across a post from 2004 that said the same thing, so have a message in with Turner. Was hoping this was some sort of early standard that might still be available, guess not, just Turner specific.

mtbr member
    There is an adapter for the FX mounts which turns them to IS which works, but then you end up with two adapters (can post photos if you want to see what it looks like). If you can find an IS adapter it will be much prettier.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tassie, is this what you are talking about? On Amazon,A2Z AD-PMR Brake Adaptor? (sorry can't post the URL/link, pic below)

I've ordered one, will have to also get the IS to Post adaptor for the caliper on top of that. Not sure if it will sit flat on my 22mm frame mount, what rotor size is going to work with it, or how strong it will be. will just have to play around with it I guess. If anyone has any experience with this setup please let me know!

Still hoping Turner might come up with some kind of IS mount or seatstay I can use. That would be much cleaner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I took my 00' RFX last summer, on a trip to the Kootenays for 8 great days of riding.
    Rode DH to X-country rides and it weights 45 pounds.
    Still my favourite bike!
    Solid and plush.

Posted that for those that think lighter is always better.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast