mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What width bars on your 5 spot?

I just replaced my bar on my spot with some Eastons that are 26". My last bar was 24'' the extra 2" seem like alot. They seems to effect my steering a bit in a negative way or maybe I will get used to it, or I will break out the old tube cutter. What width are you running?

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain
    I just replaced my bar on my spot with some Eastons that are 26". My last bar was 24'' the extra 2" seem like alot. They seems to effect my steering a bit in a negative way or maybe I will get used to it, or I will break out the old tube cutter. What width are you running?
    I've been curious about this as well. I'm running 24.5" bars on my 5 Spot at the moment. They feel too narrow much of the time. The 27" bars on the single speed on the other hand feel darn fine after extensive saddle time. I think I'll be going with 26" bars on the 5'er soon.
    Last edited by seasick; 10-04-2005 at 05:05 PM.

oly
    mtbr member
    Im a DH'er also so my bars are pretty wide. I think about 26", DH bars are 27".

mtbr member
    Depends on what you are comfortable / familiar with.
    How wide are your shoulders and what riding do you do?
    It is dependant on your size, can't say that 26" is freeeride and 24" is Cross country,
    Go with what feels best.
    I have 25" bars on my hardtail and 26" on the 5 Spot but they both just "fit" if you know what I mean.
    You feel that the bars are too big, not a problem as you can always cut them down
    Stuffed the other way round

mtbr member
    My old XC bike had 24" bars. My HT has 24" bars. But my 9 month old 5 Spot has 26" bars. While I like the 26" bars on the 'Spot every now and then I forget to account for the extra width and catch a tree or rock outcropping. So far all incidents been low speed dismounts.

I didn't like the 26" bars at first, but now I like them. The wider spacing seems to help in balancey situations that require trackstands or slow movement (like figuring out in couple of heartbeats which hairy line your going to take). I think it also adds some stability to climbs. Just my .02.

It's a Turner!
    27", but I have broad shoulders. Wider bars should give you more leverage when steering, although it will slow steering a bit. That may help you through technical situations.

My buddy who jumps everything says that narrower bars help you pull up the front easier vs. a wide bar. I think he runs a 23" wide bar.

I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

meh....

26"

Monte

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    27" on all my bikes..

mtbr member

26"

On my spot

... I guess you won't be
    25-54/64"

and not a hair wider!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

23" Flats

23 flats with bar-ends (so 22 effective).

Honest!

Flame suit on!

... I guess you won't be
    I found a picture of your handlebar!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No, No, No

You ignoramus!

That's not my handlebar. Absolutely not.

Mine has red tape, and the elbow pads are suede!

(we're having fun now)

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    22.5" on the burner and loving it. I've always liked narrow bars but they lend themselves to the trails I ride. Lots of trees and such. Narrow single track stuff down canyons. Wide bars are DEATH in the areas I ride.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

KDK
    mtbr member
    27" but I am a big guy !!! I find them to give me that extra stability in low speed situations. The extra leverege is also handy when I am trying to control the bike in the mud and snow.

The handling is slow to be honest and in tight singletrack I suffer a bit - but I am too afraid to cut them.

PSI
    I want that one

26"

26" on my spot, up from 24" great improvment for technical riding.
    the 24" is great on my xc ht.

mtbr member
    I currently run a 620 mm wide bar but have 680 mm on order. I've found that I'd prefer to hold my hands with a copule fingers outside of the handles so I reccon a wider bar would do me nicely!

It's quite easy to move the hands in or out a few centimeters to find the position that feels more relaxed. Then meassure how wide that should be and then adjust accordingly.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Just another FOC'er
    28" I think (Easton EC70). I run the same width on all my bikes, so switching around is easy. BTW, a long time ago I used to run 23" bars with bar ends like one other poster. I get on a bike with that setup now and it seems insane! I still have those bars hanging on the wall in my garage.

-danno

Am not, had mine removed.
    Wider the better! Carbon Monkey Lite DH uncut. But I think it is a personal size issue ain't it?
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506