mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What is this turner worth?

I had a guy contact me in response to a local ad I posted for a trailer. He asked if I would consider trading for a Turner XCE full suspension mountain bike. When I asked what year it was he said he built it in '03. I actually have been wanting to get into mountain biking but at this point I don't know enough to make a decision.

I have the trailer listed for $1,500 which I should have no trouble getting. My question is... Is this bike worth that? Do I even want a bike that is 10 years old?

These are the parts he has installed:
    Fox shocks, sram x/o shifters, &rr drlr, hope mini disc brakes and hubs, hand built wheels, race face cranks, thompson seat post, easton monkey lite carbon bars. He said when he built the bike in 2003 it was over $4,000 but who knows if that's true.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It might make a great starter bike for you to see if you like the sport, but it most certainly is not worth what you want out of the trailer.

The frame itself has some value in that you can use it in the Turner 4 Turner program and trade it in for a current frame, but all the other components are rather dated. You could easily find a used bike at half it's age for less than half the price. Does it even fit you?

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    It might make a great starter bike for you to see if you like the sport, but it most certainly is not worth what you want out of the trailer.

The frame itself has some value in that you can use it in the Turner 4 Turner program and trade it in for a current frame, but all the other components are rather dated. You could easily find a used bike at half it's age for less than half the price. Does it even fit you?
    I would agree. Great bike for it's era. I would not pay more than a grand for it. parts look tired.