mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What trailer hitch rack for a Sultan?

Esteemed Sultanites - please help.

I've just moved to the US from England - which is tough enough. We need a trailer hitch bike rack and I have a Sultan. I know the 'tray' mounts should work, but are there any of the hanging ones that work for the Sultan frame as well? Finances are a little tight and I'd like to try and scour Criaigslist and fleaBay for second hand. Thanks for your shared wisdom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If budget is a concern, grab a cheap "hanging" rack like you mentioned. I've had my Sultan on at least two (but can't for the life of me recall the brand).

In a pinch you can buy a couple of those $25 clip-on bars that go from stem to seatpost, which will allow darn near any frame shape to be transported.

If budget concerns go away, the tray rack that I think blows all others away is the 1UP USA. Astounding.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Budget option: Used Thule T2. These seem to come up for sale more often than most because of Thule's larger market share. And the fact they rust, and become unsightly on the back of the shiny new SUV someone just bought. Can usually be bargained for used for $200.

I consider the hanging racks more expensive than a platform style since, you're buying twice. Once for the hanger rack. And again for a platform rack when you realize how bad they are for your bike, your wife/friend's bike, and your car's paint finish.

Cost no object option: I second the 1UP USA, or Kuat NV.

psycho cyclo addict

Hanging hitch rack should be fine if low budget is primary objective

I purchased a cheap trunk mounted 3-bike carrier ~4 years ago. The reason I mention it is that both TNT and DW Sultans fit on it reasonably well (in Sultan sammich style) with no major scratch issues. Over time, the "T" on my '09 wore off from the securing strap so I eventually ended up with an 'unrner

I subsequently purchased a 1.25" Kuat NV hitch rack for another vehicle that's been stellar for my local and 3-4 hour trips to check out trails in other states. 1UP was a close second though I liked the additional features of the NV (trail dock, security lock, tilt back setting, less utilitarian look, etc.).

What trailer hitch rack for a Sultan?-sultansammich.jpg

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    Bought this several months ago: Highland 1375500 SportWing Hitch Mounted 4 Bike Carrier : Amazon.com : Automotive

Inexpensive and works well. Haven't lost any of the velcro straps, so I'm not sure what some of the reviewers are doing with them. Most of the time I only use 1 section for 2 bikes.

The only disadvantage is that I can't open up the back with a bike on the inside spot, and I deflate the tires behind the exhaust because it does heat up if you're in stop/go traffic.

This is on a Volvo XC90.

mtbr member
    I moved to the US from blighty 17 years ago - where are you? As for racks get a tray rack if you can. The performance bike dot com sport ones are effective and cheap - particularly with one of their frequent 20% coupons. Otherwibloook for a used Thule t2 or Yakima hold up. I have a kuat nv. Great rack also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I moved to the US from blighty 17 years ago - where are you? As for racks get a tray rack if you can. The performance bike dot com sport ones are effective and cheap - particularly with one of their frequent 20% coupons. Otherwibloook for a used Thule t2 or Yakima hold up. I have a kuat nv. Great rack also.
    Thanks. I'm in Richmond VA - mostly getting used to sweating a bit more than I used to right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1UP rack all the way.....nothing comes close to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    1UP rack all the way.....nothing comes close to it.
    Finances are a little tight

But I sure do love mine!