what...?

What spring for DHXc ?

Another disenchanted owner of a DHXair here. Damn thing has oil all over the o-ring after every ride and I must re-adjust the air pressures before each ride, like from yesterday to today it was lower by 10-20 lbs. main chamber and BV.

So I will be calling DT on Tuesday to see if there are any DHX coils left. What spring do I get? I'm 225 ride weight. I like to ride slow techy stuff. There isn't much downhilling here on Long Island, its all XC. BZ's been to our newest trail, Glacier Ridge, maybe he can help out here. I'm after a 'couch' ride I don;t want to feel the roots and stuff under me, that's my riding style. NOT a stiff, racey ride, so please don't anyone tell me I'll be happy with a 700lb spring.
    I run my DHXa at 230lbs main, about 150lbs BV, the BO is almost all the way out. SOFT but it don't bob at all, I'm sure its due to the great suspension (!)
    VanillaR 140 up front
    Oh....it's a '06 Spot

Thanks all!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If it's 225 buck nekkid, you're probably at 700 or 750 lbs. DT will, of course, know which way to go. The springs are really cheap. I'd get both and screw around. On my RFX, before I joined the Church of the Cane Creek Double Barrel, I liked a lighter spring with a bit more preload for the hdxc kind of rides, but a heavier spring with less preload for the more FR stuff.

Just saw that you rode a Spot. I thought it was an RFX, so I'd say more like 600 or 650. One really crappy thing about Fox springs is that they have enough slop in their ratings that a 600 and 650 could be darn near equal!
    Last edited by kosmo; 12-31-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Thought it was an RFX -- oopsf!
    Whining is not a strategy.

banned
    Multiply your riding weight by three, then take a bit off. That's how Gregg set me up and it's perfect.

Coils are cheap, so you can also go with a couple on either side for more options. The coil is a 2.35, I believe. So if you use the F=kX formula, you can see how much variance in preload you can get out of the spring. Just make sure you don't use the full .35" as the X, or you'll be sorry.

Forgot...you're on a Spot, so the leverage ratio is a bit lower at about 2.65. So your riding weight times the leverage and go up or down.

Big Test Icycles
    I just bought a DHXc from Turner. I weigh in at about 230 and Jarret recomended a 650lb spring. They were out of 650s so I went with a 600, it rides great. I'm still messing with the settings to find the sweet spot but it is way better than the DHX Air. Great deal for $250.

Lay off the Levers
    FWIW I 'm running a 650# spring when I use the DHX-C on my Spot, I'm ~230# You could easily go with a 600# spring out on LI esp if you're a bit lighter than I.

G'Luck!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

rr
    I don't do PC
    EDIT: was giving advise for wrong bike, duh!
    Last edited by rr; 01-03-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    Good point RR.... I forgot how squaty my Spot was when I ran my RP3 under pressure. It felt normal but climbed like crap. I don't think going down 50# on a spring would be that extreme unless you are already starting too soft.

Jkm, how much do you weigh?

what...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    FWIW I 'm running a 650# spring when I use the DHX-C on my Spot, I'm ~230# You could easily go with a 600# spring out on LI esp if you're a bit lighter than I.

G'Luck!
    Lighter than you??? HAhaha! maybe....definately fatter for sure! I go 235 ride ready with Mule loaded up.
    I think i"d opt for the 600# as I really like to ride it 'soft'. I went the spot route cause I wanted a bike to take the bumps out, completely!

Jeff

what...?
    Well, they only have 500#'s and 700#'s left so I ordered the 700#. Better safe than sorry.

So where do I get springs, if a softer one is needed?

I'll give it a try this weekend and then, hopefully, off to PUSH!!!

thanks guys!
    jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think both Cane Creek and Romic springs fit that shock. I had it all figured out and written down, then lost that special piece of paper.

There is at least one switching combo that doesn't quite work. Maybe Turner knows?

One thing for sure; that 500 won't cut it, unless you leave one of your legs in the garage when you go for a ride!

what...?
    Have to answer that one by saying it would be my middle leg...........

Lay off the Levers
    The Romic springs won't fit on the DHX. I have had both. The ID and OD's are different.

Jmt, 700 may be too stiff for your liking esp if you plan on going down to a 600. Heck, El Ching was running a 700 on his RFX!

If you get pressed for a spring, I can loan you my 650 for a while. Larry usually is a good source for springs if you haven't tried MHC yet.

The other option is to eat and drink more... I know that's a sacrifice, but consider it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe DT would knock $20 off the shock w/o spring, and you could source the spring elsewhere?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr

So where do I get springs, if a softer one is needed?
    I've got a 600 you can try, or if you just want to buy it that's fine too, PM me and we can work it out. -Rick

EDIT: DUH! I just saw your on a Spot, I was thinking an RFX, sorry, guess the 600 makes sense then.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about swapping out my old Romic on my Large 5-Spot for a DHX Coil from Turner (only #400 springs left). Do I want the same spring-rate on the DHX as the Romic?

Edit: Butter fingers...
    Last edited by theTnT; 03-08-2007 at 03:30 AM.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by theTnT
    I'm thinking about swapping out my old Romic on my Large 5-Spot for a DHX Coil from Turner (only #400 springs left). Do I want the same spring-rate on the DHX as the Romic?

Edit: Butter fingers...
    Yup, spring rate should be the same.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

trail fairy
    CCDB yeahhhaaa gonna try mine on my SPot this weekend it rocks on my RFX its worth it IMO

DHXc is nice on the Spot though my buddies rides real nice

Enjoy
    Ps I hate my DHXa as well its poo
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

what...?
    Hi
    I went with the 600lb spring and it's just perfect!!
    Nasty rooty, rocky stuff this am and the bike worked great. Gone is the wallow of the air. Nice and linear, what I am after. Bike just crawled up and over stuff, great rebound control.

Using 120lbs BV
    1.5 lines showing on BO
    rebound - 2 clicks from fullfast
    propedal - ha!
    extra 1/2 lb of weight - PFFFTTT!!!

Thanks all for your suggestions....really glad I went coil

Members who have read this thread: 0