destination unknown
    May 2008

What size 5 Spot are you Riding

I'm a hair under 5' 11" and I've parking lot ridden both the 17" and 19" 5 Spot. I like feel of the 17" with a 90mm stem. The 19" just feels too big for my ride style. Anybody out there 5' 10" - 5' 11" riding a 17" 5 spot? Can you provide any feedback? Thanks!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    I'm a hair under 5' 11" and I've parking lot ridden both the 17" and 19" 5 Spot. I like feel of the 17" with a 90mm stem. The 19" just feels too big for my ride style. Anybody out there 5' 10" - 5' 11" riding a 17" 5 spot? Can you provide any feedback? Thanks!
    Can't help you as i ride a small but have you tried a large with short (50mm) stem?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Thanks. I tried it with a 70mm and the front wheel still felt a bit hard to lift up and it didn't feel quite flickable enough for me.

Amphibious Technologies
    Thanks. I tried it with a 70mm and the front wheel still felt a bit hard to lift up and it didn't feel quite flickable enough for me.
    Ah, why not give Turner a call to see what they think?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Silence and Thunder...
    I like feel of the 17" with a 90mm stem.
    The 19" just feels too big for my ride style.
    ...that's what matters most...
    ...every day sends future to past...

over my head
    I'm 5'10" , 31" inseam - ride a 19" 5 Pack - 17" felt like I was "on" it. 19" feels like I am "in " it.
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Weapon of Choice
    I am riding a medium spot and I am 5'10 with 32 inseam. I use a 70mm stem and I like the fit.

Super Unknown

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Thanks for all of the feedback. My inseam is 35" and I am currently on a 17" Enduro SL. I want a 5 Spot BAD. Best feeling bike I've been on. The medium feels good but it shows a lot of post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sounds like you prefer the 17" frame. Go with what works for you.

I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam on a medium Spot with a 110 mm stem. Long legs, short torso - I tend to prefer the smaller bike. My previous, now backup bike is an 18" Giant Trance. The top tube lengths of both bikes are identical. What is the TT length of your current bike?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    Sounds like you prefer the 17" frame. Go with what works for you.

I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam on a medium Spot with a 110 mm stem. Long legs, short torso - I tend to prefer the smaller bike. My previous, now backup bike is an 18" Giant Trance. The top tube lengths of both bikes are identical. What is the TT length of your current bike?
    Current TT is 23.25 Effective. The Spot is 23 but they measure very close to the same because the Spot has a slightly slacker seat tube. The Spot with a 90MM stem may actually be a tad bit longer than my Enduro with an 80. The 17 Spot feels roomy enough but I have long legs so it shows a lot of post. My Enduro shows a lot too but I ride a Maverick SpeedBall so no worries there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    might be worth comparing reach vs. top tube. Tip of saddle to center line of bar at the stem. Top tubes being equal the bike with the higher seat tube angle will have a longer reach if you set up your saddle position using knee over pedal with your the crank arms perpendicular to the ground.

trail fairy
    I don't ride currently but have a Spot and an RFX, 06 vers, I'm 5'11"

I ride med in both, I could go large in either of the new models but I like my bikes a little more all round rather than XC biased, so short stems and flickable ride positons for me, so go with what suits your style.

On my Spot I run a 140mm ta fork and use anything from a 90mm thomson to a 50mm thomson stem depends on the ride I want, if endurance riding/racing I use the 90mm, general riding then 50 -70mm I use the forks uturn for climbing long fire roads anything in between I don't worry about adjustability, just ride enjoy!

So what works for you is best
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I don't ride currently but have a Spot and an RFX, 06 vers, I'm 5'11"

I ride med in both, I could go large in either of the new models but I like my bikes a little more all round rather than XC biased, so short stems and flickable ride positons for me, so go with what suits your style.

On my Spot I run a 140mm ta fork and use anything from a 90mm thomson to a 50mm thomson stem depends on the ride I want, if endurance riding/racing I use the 90mm, general riding then 50 -70mm I use the forks uturn for climbing long fire roads anything in between I don't worry about adjustability, just ride enjoy!

So what works for you is best
    The large was never an option for me but I was concerned the med may be a little small. Hearing that others about my size are riding them seals the deal for me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    5ft 10 and been riding a medium 5 spot for 5 years with a 70mm stem fits me perfect, 32 inside leg. I like my bikes to be small and chuckable and the medium fits that criteria, i tried the large when i test rode years ago and it was nice and stable at speed but just felt to long for me.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    5ft 10 and been riding a medium 5 spot for 5 years with a 70mm stem fits me perfect, 32 inside leg. I like my bikes to be small and chuckable and the medium fits that criteria, i tried the large when i test rode years ago and it was nice and stable at speed but just felt to long for me.
    Pretty much the same setup as I am running with same height/inseam. Test rode a few large size spots and the top tubes felt a bit too high. Curious Lain can you tell me the spacer height you are using under the stem? and if you are using zero degree stem rise? Thx Mike

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pretty much the same setup as I am running with same height/inseam. Test rode a few large size spots and the top tubes felt a bit too high. Curious Lain can you tell me the spacer height you are using under the stem? and if you are using zero degree stem rise? Thx Mike
    I have a DMR conrod stem with 0 deg rise and one 2.5mm spacer with easton riser bars and a coil pike, when i replace the bars i think i might go for the low rise bars just to lose half an inch in height of the front but the current set up is a good balance between comfort and efficiency, don't want to be to low on the steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

med v large spot?

Interesting, very interesting. I'm in the same dilema as you - 5'11, wondering whether to go 17 or 19, i posted this question here a few weeks ago and got a split answer from all the responses - still no better off.
    As i have no turner dealers near me in the north-east of England, test riding was out. Anyway, while holidaying up in Scotland, who should i bump into but a group of mtbers riding medium and large spots. They kindly let me ride about for a while and this is what i concluded :
    The large seemed right and i felt comfortable but, i dunno, it didn't feel right - too big?
    Along came the medium which straight away felt and rode right.
    Yeah, it would need a bit tweaking and the seatpost would be pretty high, but when the trails get rough and fast, the medium is the one i'll be going for.
    Good luck in your choice.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Bike setup certainly has A LOT to do with it. I had an opportunity to again ride a 19 and 17 Spot back to back (unfortunately parking lot only). These were setup differently from my previous demo. These both had 100mm stems with low rise bars, zero setback posts - apples to apples. The Large felt much better, the front popped off the ground the way I like and I felt more in the bike. The medium felt twitchy and I felt on it rather than in it. Granted the medium will probably handle the tight switchback better but at speed and doing big shoots and drops the large will be more stable. The large was more confidence inspiring for me. When I look at the seat post in climbing height on the 17 for me its a major turn off and screams that "I dont fit this bike if its showing that much post". I'm 90% settled on the large.

These are my measurements:
    Height: 70.75
    Sternum Notch: 58.25
    Inseam: 34.75
    Arm Length: 26.5
    Shoulder Width: 15.75

Quote Originally Posted by arfur
    Interesting, very interesting. I'm in the same dilema as you - 5'11, wondering whether to go 17 or 19, i posted this question here a few weeks ago and got a split answer from all the responses - still no better off.
    As i have no turner dealers near me in the north-east of England, test riding was out. Anyway, while holidaying up in Scotland, who should i bump into but a group of mtbers riding medium and large spots. They kindly let me ride about for a while and this is what i concluded :
    The large seemed right and i felt comfortable but, i dunno, it didn't feel right - too big?
    Along came the medium which straight away felt and rode right.
    Yeah, it would need a bit tweaking and the seatpost would be pretty high, but when the trails get rough and fast, the medium is the one i'll be going for.
    Good luck in your choice.

mtbr member
    FWIW I'm 5'10ish and ride a Lrg. I'm more of a long torso short leg person myself and the Lg fits me great. I admit it did seem a little big at first but now I don't think I could go back to a Md. For climbing and long rides the positioning just feels way more comfortable. I did trade some of that flickability (thats not really a word) that my previous bikes had by being smaller sizes but the trade off is a more comfortable long ride bike. You'll be happy with whichever bike you buy, and over time your gonna adapt and overcome any short comings you think that bike may have.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    FWIW I'm 5'10ish and ride a Lrg. I'm more of a long torso short leg person myself and the Lg fits me great. I admit it did seem a little big at first but now I don't think I could go back to a Md. For climbing and long rides the positioning just feels way more comfortable. I did trade some of that flickability (thats not really a word) that my previous bikes had by being smaller sizes but the trade off is a more comfortable long ride bike. You'll be happy with whichever bike you buy, and over time your gonna adapt and overcome any short comings you think that bike may have.
    I will be coming off of a 17" 07 Enduro SL 6" bike with a 46" wheel base but a short 23.25" cockpit, so even the large 5 Spot will be more flickable than what I'm used to (actually, I've never really gotten used to the Enduro, its an akward machine). I can't wait to get off of that thing.