mtbr member
    Mar 2008

what size 5 spot?

After 15 years of mtbing, i'm finally looking to buy a (5)spot, but am stuck between choosing a medium or large size frame.
    I'm 5'11 with an inner leg of 33". Living in the north of england, i do a variety of riding - mainly 2-3 hrs round trail centres and full days up in the mountains.
    My current bike (medium 18" heckler) fits perfect, so i'm not sure which spot is more similar in feel - 17" (i like the idea of a nimble, quick frame) or 19.5" (but maybe this would be more comfortable)?
    If anyone can help, i would really appreciate any advice, otherwise i'm just going to forget it and buy some golf clubs or something else stupid instead!
    Cheers

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by arfur
    After 15 years of mtbing, i'm finally looking to buy a (5)spot, but am stuck between choosing a medium or large size frame.
    I'm 5'11 with an inner leg of 33". Living in the north of england, i do a variety of riding - mainly 2-3 hrs round trail centres and full days up in the mountains.
    My current bike (medium 18" heckler) fits perfect, so i'm not sure which spot is more similar in feel - 17" (i like the idea of a nimble, quick frame) or 19.5" (but maybe this would be more comfortable)?
    If anyone can help, i would really appreciate any advice, otherwise i'm just going to forget it and buy some golf clubs or something else stupid instead!
    Cheers
    Yeah Im the same height though shorter in the leg I think, can't use my tape measure at mo

I ride or did a med 5Spot I like a smaller frame than a bigger one once 5inches above in travel, no issues with clmbing comfort and Ive progressively gone shorter in stems!
    I use a Pike 454 Uturn which also slackens the HA sightly as well another trait I like in my bikes and it still dosen't affect me, I can use the crutch and wind down the Uturn adjustment if I want for long steep fire roads if I was riding!

I was lucky that my buddy had a large hes 6'1" they say I could fit the large as well but riding his I always felt the front end pushed too much fo me in corners, I push hard in corners anyway, just too stretched out and I was always a little uncomfy on drops small jumps Ive had my Spot over 2 years now and its not going anywhere! The new models are the same sizing, rear travel has increased .2inch over my 5.3 rocker 06 version!

I'd go med myself, but go with what you feel best, imo its never a good thing to compensate with a long stem if ya too short in the TT so as long as ya good to go there and at 5'11" you should be sweet (med) thats what I'd go for!, More XC types might go large ya border line

Good luck and post pic's/speccs when ya get your frame

Chur
    You could always contact TidyBeard he never rides so he might rent out his pack
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Even a medium (17") Spot has a longer top tube (23") than a medium Heckler (22.5"). The large Spot would feel huge to you. Unless you have too much post exposed, I'd buy based on top tube length. FWIW- the current Heckler's seat tube is spec'ed at 17" also.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I live in Surrey and I have had my spot for nearly 2 years now. It's a med frame and I am 5'8 and it is plenty big enough for me with lots of room for saddle height increase if I wanted it. Like the previous response said - the large is huge and I feel that the medium is really controllable. Depends also what you ride mostly as I was at Holmbury today and I needed to lower my seat alot of the time to get the control I needed over steep, rooty and rocky terain. Great bike!!

mtbr member
    Sorry to be the contrarian - I'm 5'10 with 33" inseam and ride a Large 5 Spot (2006 model). It is perfect for trail work at that size, definitely does not ride too 'big'. For 'big days out' I put a 50mm Hope stem on it with 2" risers which noticeably shortens it up (normal setup is 65mm stem with low risers).

Before spending loadsa money, ride each to see which fits. You can't possibly decide by reading an Internet Forum.

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the Large 5. seems perfect for trail riding for me. Your legs are even longer than mine so I'd think a large would be fine for you.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

mtbr member
    OP, how's your reach?

I'm 5'10" w/ 32" inseam and riding a medium 6pack with a 70 or 100mm stem...only have about 8" of seat post extended. The top tube on the 6pack is 23.4" versus 23.0 on the spot.

Riding both medium and large is the answer, but the 2nd best is maybe to compare every geometry stat and measurement side by side. If you've got a pretty long reach, then i intuitively lean towards the large, but you're really throwing a wrench in the works with the description of your current ride, a medium heckler (would have guessed you were on a large).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, thanks for the opinions so far, pleased to say that i'm even more confused now!
    My heckler is the previous model which is 18", combined with a 90cm stem. Compareing stats, the 17" spot is longer which should be good, although one i tested i was running the seat tube at almost max height which looked a bit odd - though i suppose i would drop it on the rough stuff.
    Unfortunately i dont know of any large frames to try out up here.
    Keep the advice coming - sure someone will suggest i go for a small or xl instead!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    6ft, 33 inseam and riding a large here. I've fairly long arms and ride with a 70mm stem. Ever since I bought it in 2005 I've had the 'did I buy the right size' quandary, since I didn't get a chance to test ride a medium.

Given my experiences with a small steel hardtail recently (16inch) My guess is that I could have ridden either. Had I got the medium, I'd probably be riding it with a 90mm stem with loads of steerer spacers (HT is and inch shorter on the med) and a bucket-load of seatpost.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

5'10" 32" inseam Medium here

I am slightly shorter than you and am very comfortable on my medium 5 spot. If you say that the Heckler fits "perfect", then definitely try and test ride one.

I am right at the edge of being too big for the Medium according to the Turner fit guide but she feels "perfect" to me. I ended up using top tube length to clinch the decision for me at the time. I never rode a 5 spot before I picked up one of last years Interbike demos, but I had spent 2 days on a Medium flux which seemed just right....

The larges are tempting at my height, but now that I have converted to the Gravity Dropper crutch, there is no way that I can ride a large and use my "crutch" due to the seat tube length.

Hope this helps a little. How much seat post was exposed when you tried the Medium?
    How did it feel? Perfect? Cramped? Was the seat post farther out than any you have seen in the setup database?

Good luck and Happy trails,
    bobo

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    You could always contact TidyBeard he never rides so he might rent out his pack
    Cheeky sod - just 'cos I like to keep my bike Factory Fresh......

Arfur, sorry I missed this - I have a Large '06 RFX (which is very well ridden contrary to popular belief) and I'm just over 6' with a 32in inside leg. It fits me really well, but if you're in the North West, Chris at Roundel (the UK importer) lives in Warrington and I'm sure he'll let you sling a leg over a few bikes to get a feel - you can get him through the website at www.roundelmtb.co.uk.

Good luck, whichever size you get you're joining a great community - we even let Kiwis in

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Cheeky sod - just 'cos I like to keep my bike Factory Fresh......

Good luck, whichever size you get you're joining a great community - we even let Kiwis in
    FF - Factory fresh, I like it! Wel I sorta thought riding around the back yard didn't count but we'll cut ya some slack and say ya put some miles in and around the sheep paddocks which is more than I do
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    5'11" here, with a 33.5 inseam, i use a large spot, was worried at first, but now can't imagine being on a medium, it fits perficto! I came from a 18" moots ybb. I am using a 100 mm stem too, which is to long, but i will replace it when i find a good deal on a shorter one. also I am using a lot of steerer spacers about 25mm. to keep the handlebars the same height as my seat, so with that it is good that i am on a large. also i called turner before i bought it and they said large was for me, right off the bat...