Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,528

    What not to do to your carbon frame...OT

    So I got to work on Thursday and there's this beuatiful blue Lemond Versailles sitting in my stand...but something didn't look quite right.

    On closer inspection and a little investigation, I discovered that the meat head had attached a child carrier/seat thingy to it. Well the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

    Man the crap you see in a shop some days, who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame???

    happy trails...

    squish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride!

  2. #2
    Silence and Thunder...
    Reputation: xjbebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,211
    I was at a Trek demo thing today and was listening to one of the Trek buttmonkeys giving his sales pitch about how much 'stronger' CF is than aluminum...how much more 'abuse' it could take...
    I realize some of the attributed carbon, but what he was spewing to these poor people just about made me sick...
    ...every day sends future to past...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Man the crap you see in a shop some days, who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame???
    You're right, that triple has to go.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

  4. #4
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame?
    the same guy who uses 324's on a versailles. dont tell me.... he was in for a adjustable stem and a cruiser saddle.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  5. #5
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,063
    . . . and his excuse was " I was JRA, with my 36lb 18 month old on the back, when this happened . . ."

    "The warranty will cover that, right?"

    I bet this is the real reason for those Highline? stays breaking a few years back. Child carriers.

  6. #6
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    . . . and his excuse was " I was JRA, with my 36lb 18 month old on the back, when this happened . . ."

    "The warranty will cover that, right?"

    I bet this is the real reason for those Highline? stays breaking a few years back. Child carriers.
    I was actually surprised, there was no warranty dicussion, but he was wondering what it would cost to repair it...

    His comment when I told him it couldn't be repaired, "well how come it can't be welded or patched or something." I'd say probably not the sharpest tool in the shed!

    And I'm with Miles and CC the tripl and the pedals have got to go. I don't even run a triple on my Cross Check, but I do run a compact I'm not that big of a stud!

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  7. #7
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,035
    can't calfee fix that?

  8. #8
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,638
    Looks like someone needs to explain cross chaining to the owner too.

  9. #9
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    can't calfee fix that?
    Probably. Calfee saved my Tarmac when I did something stupid with my roof rack. Much less expensive than a new frame.

    But yeah, that is one of the dumber things I've seen on a carbon frame.

  10. #10
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,528
    Hmmm, interesting...

    What do they charge for repair work? This may be a very realistic option for this guy. He can't afford a new frame, but he loves his bike.

    Did you notice any change in the way the frame rode or felt when they were done?

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,405
    Call Calfee- he does amazing work. Send him some pics and you may be surprised that he can actually fix it and keep it as strong.

  12. #12
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Hmmm, interesting...

    What do they charge for repair work? This may be a very realistic option for this guy. He can't afford a new frame, but he loves his bike.

    Did you notice any change in the way the frame rode or felt when they were done?

    happy trails...

    squish
    Mine was a fix to the chainstays, just behind the BB.

    Here's the link to Calfee's repair page. Looks like around $300 + paint (~$50) to repair the stays.

  13. #13
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Looks like someone needs to explain cross chaining to the owner too.
    ill assume that shift pattern was for wheel removal but who knows.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  14. #14
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,528
    I'm thinking your right CC, I didn't pull the wheel but I wasn't the first one to touch it. Who knows.

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  15. #15
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,638
    I didn't like to presume after seeing the photos of the damage they'd managed to do to their frame and then asked about having it welded

  16. #16
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    point taken.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  17. #17
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    I was at a Trek demo thing today and was listening to one of the Trek buttmonkeys giving his sales pitch about how much 'stronger' CF is than aluminum...how much more 'abuse' it could take...
    I realize some of the attributed carbon, but what he was spewing to these poor people just about made me sick...

    CF does have a higher strength to weight ratio with longer fatigue life than any other material including aluminum. You can't make a sub kilogram frame from aluminum that would hold up around the block much less thousands of road miles. CF rides MUCH nicer as well. What's the problem?

    In this particular case, I guarantee if you took the a similar weight aluminum bike with ultra thin tin-can tubing and strapped the trailer to it, you would have seen a similar failure.
    Long Live Long Rides

  18. #18
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    I was actually surprised, there was no warranty dicussion, but he was wondering what it would cost to repair it...

    His comment when I told him it couldn't be repaired, "well how come it can't be welded or patched or something." I'd say probably not the sharpest tool in the shed!

    And I'm with Miles and CC the tripl and the pedals have got to go. I don't even run a triple on my Cross Check, but I do run a compact I'm not that big of a stud!

    happy trails...

    squish
    Why didn't you thougth of chewing gum? cheap, sticky, ugly, but it will hide those cracks for about 5 yards....

  19. #19
    Surfin' da mountain
    Reputation: Cucucachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I didn't like to presume after seeing the photos of the damage they'd managed to do to their frame and then asked about having it welded

    Damn! Ya beat me to it - I was gonna say "Reweld it"

  20. #20
    i can't type the letter s
    Reputation: mouse jockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    So I got to work on Thursday and there's this beuatiful blue Lemond Versailles sitting in my stand...but something didn't look quite right.

    On closer inspection and a little investigation, I discovered that the meat head had attached a child carrier/seat thingy to it. Well the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

    Man the crap you see in a shop some days, who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame???

    Not to throw my wife under the bus on this one, but it's funny, in an "aw shucks honey, you aren't thinking real straight here are you?" kinda way.

    When we travel anywhere I usually take 4 bikes, we take my RFX, we take the Yeti AS-X (a little crossover yes, but super plush on the DH shuttle days), we take my wife's squish comfort bike, and we take a beater Giant with the baby seat strapped to the back of the seatstays. She wants to know why we can't just take the comfort bike and the RFX and strap the baby seat to the RFX?? She may have a point with crossover on the ASX (although she has no idea) but I have to chuckle in horror at the notion of strapping the baby seat to the RFX.

    I just have to say, she's not stupid she's just ignorant. And don't tell her I just said that.

  21. #21
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    im gonna tell her everything unless ya ditch that ass-ah-nine baby seat for a proper trailer. gawd those are the most dangerous things ever sold in a bike shop next to spiked bmx accesories.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,661

    Yeah this was a good one....

    I was there when the bike came in. Very sad really cause the guy really does love the bike. Gotta give him credit though, he had the stones to bring it in and admit what he had done. That's more than I can say for many people. No JRA story, no " is it covered under warranty" questions. He just wanted to know if it could be fixed or what a new frame would cost if not. Unfortunately we didn't know about Calfee at the time. Hopefully we can still get hold of the guy and tell him about it.

    But even with all that he may up for the DA award (Dumb Ass) for the year. And we usually reserve that just for the guys in the shop. Lets face it we all have our DA moments, and the shop rat that has the best one for the year gets the title. But we may break with tradition this year and award it to a customer. Nah, probably not, he was embarassed enough as it was when he broght it in. But he'd be a really strong contender!

    Anyway, like squish said, the things you see working at a shop!

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    993

    Why can't you put a kid seat on an RFX?

    You can't ride real singletrack with a trailer. Get a child seat that will safely let you:



    See mtbr wee-ride Flume Trail Ride for a recent ride thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Not to throw my wife under the bus on this one, but it's funny, in an "aw shucks honey, you aren't thinking real straight here are you?" kinda way.

    When we travel anywhere I usually take 4 bikes, we take my RFX, we take the Yeti AS-X (a little crossover yes, but super plush on the DH shuttle days), we take my wife's squish comfort bike, and we take a beater Giant with the baby seat strapped to the back of the seatstays. She wants to know why we can't just take the comfort bike and the RFX and strap the baby seat to the RFX?? She may have a point with crossover on the ASX (although she has no idea) but I have to chuckle in horror at the notion of strapping the baby seat to the RFX.

    I just have to say, she's not stupid she's just ignorant. And don't tell her I just said that.

  24. #24
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,528
    Can the kids get out of those if/when you crash or are they along for the ride as the bike goes tumbling? They look cool and better thought out than the ones that mount on the back, but that's always my biggest fear with those things.

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  25. #25
    i can't type the letter s
    Reputation: mouse jockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    im gonna tell her everything unless ya ditch that ass-ah-nine baby seat for a proper trailer. gawd those are the most dangerous things ever sold in a bike shop next to spiked bmx accesories.
    I knew I'd get some flak for that. I've seen the polarizing opinion that trailers vs. seats have before.

    Nawwwwwww, not unsafe unless you're a monkey with a wrench (can't install correctly) or you crash. I have about as much a chance of crashing, with the way I ride with her on the back, as I do stepping off a curb and falling, it could happen but really, really unlikely. And I don't live my life on what could happen and I'm not training my girl to live that way either (maybe I should though and I''ll have less injuries.)

    I did have a pause though the other day when I saw this child adapter for a motorcycle this guy was hooking up his boy to. He had a real nice KTM and putting his kid in a seat harness that you place your child in and then hook the harness around your torso. The child sits behind you as you motor around the city and highway. Now, the odds are a lot higher with motos and metal flying around for a crash. Not even I could take that risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    You can't ride real singletrack with a trailer. Get a child seat that will safely let you..
    Yea, those are the seats that you can ride with, but I don't think a seatstay mount would work on a FS. But I've never tried it so maybe I'm the ignorant one now. (which is usually the case.)

    Yea, I agree with riding singletrack and trailers, but I also don't ride single track with the girl, too much movement. Also the dust-up is a lot, the little guy is covered with fine dust if you take trailers off road. I ride paved bike trails by my house or flat fireroads to our local river paths.

    So we all have our limits and some kids are blessed with smart parents and dumb parents. Some may put me on the dumb side and some may put me on the questionable side. (I'll post pics later of this weekend what we are doing on the questionable side, it's good!)
    Last edited by mouse jockey; 06-25-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •