mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What kinda Front Derailer

Hey can someone tell me what type of front derailer the 5 Spot uses, there is NO info on there website, and I need one

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by abomb
    Hey can someone tell me what type of front derailer the 5 Spot uses, there is NO info on there website, and I need one

So nobody knows the size and type of FD the spot uses?

mtbr member
    It'll take whatever you want. All frames are set-up differently. Different bike shops and online shops (ie, 123bikes, Wrench Science etc) sell the Turner after they've built it up or build it up according to what the buyer orders. The deal offered by 123Bikes recently had a shimano XT drive train.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    That response was a waste of bandwidth.

abomb clearly stated "size and type". The size is 34.9. The type is the top pull, top swing. This is based on my Burner and I do believe the 5 Spot is the same spec.
    Thank you, you are half right it is 34.9 top pull bottom swing

mtbr member
    I asked the same question about a month ago, here is the thread:

5-Spot Specs?

top pull, bottom swing

not an easy derailuer to find these days...

otb club member

Great. Does that mean an XT FD-M760 won't work?

I got it because it was supposedly "universal," and I guess it is as far as everything except the swing. It has adapters to fit any "standard" seat tube and is either top or bottom pull, but the box says "Top Swing." I'll have to mount it and see, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

-Chris
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your need the 2004 M961

The 2004 M961 is the proper derailleur. 34.9 diameter (the 2004 version has shims for all sizes)...and a HIGH clamp which means bottom swing. That is what is in the picture. Bottom swing means the pivot is below the clamp. Top swing means the pivot is above the clamp.

otb club member

Apparently, you have a Bottom swing...

Please verify which FD this is.

Thanks.
    Since the clamp is high and the pivot below. Must be why yours works. I'll have to exchange my FD-M760 for the FD-M761. The M961 recommended in the other post is for those who want the XTR.

Oh, well, so much for the new "universal" XT front derailleur--turns out there are TWO "universal" XT front derailleurs! Still it is a lot less complicated not also having different models for each clamp size and bottom/top pull.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks. I would've thought mine was the top swing from the way it looks, but I guess not.

Seems like a 34.9 top pull/ bottom swing is impossible to find here [ Phila. ] amazingly not one bike shop has one.. and the one that did claim to have it - gave me the wrong one, so i had to return it..[Big waste of time] it was a mechanic who gave it to me... how he did'nt know the difference is amazing.. i never seen it so it's ok that i don't know.. Well my good freind at Mountaineer cycles is getting me one asap

otb club member

Yeah, you got the right one, it looks like...

So what is the story with mine? Is it the one that is needed for these bikes? It is a 34.9.

This one came packaged with my Tomac. Same outer diameter seat tube.

It shifts fine and I'm keeping it because it works.
    I can tell by looking at your pic that if the FD were a top swing, (clamp lower than the derailler pivot, the clamp would hit the shock bracket.

Maybe there was a run on the Bottom Swings since the 5-Spots and Burners have been selling like hot cakes. I noticed Performance is back-ordered on the FD-M761. I got my FD-M760 with my "Team Performance" points in preparation to build up my 5-Spot frame. Fortunately, it's still in the box and I can exchange it, but it looks like I may have to wait a while...

Thanks to Sperky for clarifying the Top Swing/Bottom Swing and the relationship to the clamp location. Once he pointed out that fact together with your pic, it all makes sense...

-Chris
    Last edited by Chris2fur; 04-18-2004 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member

oops, sorry

Sorry guys, I had no idea that there were some types of mtb front deraileur the bike could take and some it couldn't. I thought it would be pretty standardized. Just trying to be helpful.

Duncan

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cant find one either

M761 in the bay area... I've been waiting on mine for almost 2 months. Stores just havent gotten any of these in apparently. By the look of the M760, the new XT FD is much beefier than the old version. May have to break down and get the M961. Do people like the XTR with the indepedent inner and outer plates?

Quote Originally Posted by abomb
    Seems like a 34.9 top pull/ bottom swing is impossible to find here [ Phila. ] amazingly not one bike shop has one.. and the one that did claim to have it - gave me the wrong one, so i had to return it..[Big waste of time] it was a mechanic who gave it to me... how he did'nt know the difference is amazing.. i never seen it so it's ok that i don't know.. Well my good freind at Mountaineer cycles is getting me one asap