PSI
    I want that one

New question here. OT: What hardtail should i get????

My old fuji piece of junk ht is giving up.... and my porked out 32 lbs Spot is too heavy for xc training.

Budget is limited, so weight isnt a big deal. i would like, however, to have basic hydro disc and a 4-5 fork so it could do some rough xc as well.

Any recomendations?

p.s. i know that this way OT, but i only trust homers
    Last edited by PSI; 10-03-2005 at 03:29 AM.

Solum Volamus

Cove Handjob?

Take a look at the Cove Handjob. Nice quality steel, great geometry, disk only, and can take 2.4s no problem. I like mine with the MX Pro (ETA) because it climbs and descends equally well. Also, you might want to checkout the '04 Komodo frames Jenson has on sale for $109.

Good luck....whatever you decide
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Try a Stiffee..

I've been riding a Cove Stiffee for the last 2 years, I love it - just took it to Morzine too - nothing better then flying past some dude with 8 inches of travel! If you want a hardtail that can manage that type of thing aswell as all day xc hacks i'd really recommend trying one out. (it also gets some amazing write ups)

Living the Dream

Check out Ebay & Classifieds

I just picked up A Titus Ti HCR for $750 that I paln on building into a Single Speed. Look for something Steel, because Aluminum is pretty harsh for a Hardtail. The Handjob, Surly Instigator, or this Soma Groove

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/129...tain-Frame.htm

or this Zion @ Jensonusa.com

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...853+Frame.aspx

Good Luck

Anytime. Anywhere.

Hard Tail

I had a stiffee and liked it but the geometry has too slack of a seat angle IMO. Look at On-On http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php The new 456, and sliding dropout Inbred have the same geometry (re email fm Brant@on-One) and I think would be a great compliment to the 5 Spot.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Bit mass produced Taiwanese rubbish tho, the inbred IMO. You homers don't seem to like Taiwan...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Now for the real bikes.
    http://www.chromagbikes.com/
    http://www.dekerf.com/
    http://www.peytocycles.com/

I have a dekerf implant and love it.... the chromag samurai looks seriously sweet though. droooool.....

if your on a budget, that komodo is hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How about a nice light wheelset (CrossMax SL?) & pedals to place on the 5spot for XC training? Wouldn't that cost you the same as a HT?!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ot...

Nice avatar and I see from your profile you're at the Kun. Test question; Juvat? Or Tampon ahhh errr Panton? I spent a year and half at the Kun in 91-92. And are you a g-suit insert?

Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED
    Take a look at the Cove Handjob. Nice quality steel, great geometry, disk only, and can take 2.4s no problem. I like mine with the MX Pro (ETA) because it climbs and descends equally well. Also, you might want to checkout the '04 Komodo frames Jenson has on sale for $109.

PSI
    I want that one

I was looking at that exact frame & fork combo

Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED

Nice bike. Looks like a nice steel frame and it has to be a marzocchi. noticed the geo is ralaxed, what kind of head angle to you have with the fork? (im assuming its the 105 mm version)

PSI
    I want that one

Thanks for the input

ive been looking at steel frames and at the coves.

the onone456 and cromag samurai look great too.

price-wise though, the jenson zion frame is a winner - anyone have first hand experience on it?

Solum Volamus

sixty-niner

Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    Nice bike. Looks like a nice steel frame and it has to be a marzocchi. noticed the geo is ralaxed, what kind of head angle to you have with the fork? (im assuming its the 105 mm version)
    It is supposed to be about 69 deg with a 100mm fork (that is the 105mm Marz). The Zion you mentioned is nearly identical to my Jamis Dragon dimensionally and is definitely more XC oriented. So keep that in mind.

clarkgriswald - JUVATS......What is good? I do wear a g-suit from time to time. Soon we will get to start wearing the poopy suit too! Fun, fun, fun!!! What shop do you work at? Luke was a great place to be stationed for mtn biking, not as many trails around here.

Tumbleweed
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 10-04-2005 at 06:56 AM.