mtbr member

What fork for 5 spot

LOL - how many times has this been asked! Yes I have done a search but there is nothing like live info!

I have a 2007 5 spot coming in a couple of weeks (living in the uk). I was thinking of fitting a Pace rc 41 but everyone seems to use the RS Pike. I have had a look and there is the 409, 426, 454 coil, air and dual air - whats the difference? Apart from price - bear in mind I will pay a small fortune in the UK for anything!

Whats what and whats best?

Cheers
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had a Revelation dual air 100-130mm on the bike, and it was good. After, I got a Pike coil and it is much gooder now Just know if you go with the coil pike, you may need to get an aftermarket spring depending on your weight
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-25-2006 at 05:25 PM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Big Test Icycles
    I have an 05' Marzocchi AM/SL on my spot and love it. Just last week I rode a 426 Pike, very plush and stiff. I liked it, it would compliment the Spot very well.
    Last edited by Hangtime; 11-23-2006 at 04:35 PM.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I had a Fox Vanilla on mine and really liked it. But, I really noticed a difference in the stiffness when I compared a QR to a 20mm thru. axle. Its worth a consideration.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

pace looks a little scary

but I have no experience with it.We are about to build an 06 with pushed rockers and the pace fork seems a little too xc'ish for my taste but it looks cool ..
    If it were me I would do a fox 36 talus or a pike.If you are more xc oriented the 32 talus would do also.
    More info needed,style of riding you do and the terain
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watsy
    LOL - how many times has this been asked! Yes I have done a search but there is nothing like live info!
    There's a sticky at the top of the main Turner forum page. Inside you will find this a entry entitled Which fork for a 5 Spot?

I'll give my vote for the Pike Dual Air U-Turn. I've also got a TALAS 130RLC. Don't hate it, but it is prone to a little brake dive and its not nearly as adjustable as the Pike. TALAS is noticebly lighter.

Happy hunting.

mtbr member

XC or more FR-ish?

It depends on what you are going to do with your spot.

If you are going more xc then the new 07 Fox RLC 140mm, if you are going more aggresive FR then Pike dual air. You could also get a Nixon on Jenson or pricepoint for really cheap 145mm but they are a semi crappy fork.

ZR
    Sit and spin my ass...

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I used Fox Vanilla 130mm on my original 5.1" 5Spot, then moved to Pike 454 Air U-turn when I changed the rocker to 5.7" Push one. I am happy with both configuration, balance and plush. Indeed the Pike add some more stiffness which make a regular QR a bit noodly.

Knowing your 07 Spot will be 5.5" travel, you can choose either Fox Van 140mm or Pike 454 U-turn to add some adjustability to suit your riding terrain, and you'll benefit from 20mm Maxle stiffness.
    That's my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I weigh around 13.5 stone - 190 pounds. I ride a lot of trails like Afan Argoed, Brechfa etc in Wales. Although I also do a bit of Forestry road rides and mix a bit of man made trails - so I do a bit of everything.

I dont want to build my bike to heavy. I want the pike but not sure which one to go for?

Thanks for the info
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Go get the Pike then. You'll thank to Maxle on how it's increase front end stiffness particularly for your weight.

Amphibious Technologies
    The two good choices IMHO would be a Fox TALAS 140 or Pike 454 Air Uturn. The Fox is 1 pound lighter than the Pike U-turn air so if you want to save weight, go with the Fox.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watsy

I want the pike but not sure which one to go for?
    Since none of the Turner guys have answered your question I will try to help. The most popular is probably the 454 Air U-Turn. The 454 and 426 are the same except that the 454 is lighter, the 409 is heavier and lacks an externally adjustable floodgate.

Some feel that the Coil blows through travel too fast and either bottoms hard, or has to be set up too stiff to use all of its travel efficiently.

U-Turn gives you the ability to adjust travel.

If you can afford it your best bet is the 454 air u-turn, unless you would never adjust the travel, in which case the 454 dual air is the lightest.

Hope that helps,

Keith
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Thanks.

Finally made my mind up on a 454 air U turn. A bit heavier than the rest but also save a few quid, so the 20mm upgrade wont cost me.

Seems someone who is new and slightly unsure gets the nose in the air treatment

Once again thanks to those who replied.

what...?
    I'm using a Vanilla 140. Nice. This weekend, I rode a BlurLT with a Marz AM/SL. WOW!!!
    If this fork was black it would make it onto my ninja Spot - Oh wait - that would be the AM3!
    hmmmmm..................
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

what...?
    I'm using a Vanilla 140. Nice. This weekend, I rode a BlurLT with a Marz AM/SL. WOW!!!
    If this fork was black it would make it onto my ninja Spot - Oh wait - that would be the AM3!
    hmmmmm..................
    Without love in a dream it will never come true