Thread: what the fork!

mtbr member
    May 2007

what the fork!

I need some advice on fork choice, I have a 2006 5 spot and I am putt new rockers on in the next few weeks as well as CCDB. I have run rock shox revs for over 2 years and they have been good but I am looking for something stiffer and with more travel that will match the set up of the bike. I am a heavy rider at 210 and I ride pretty aggressively and I want to do some shore style and more downhilling. My lbs recommended the pike or lyric or the 36 rc.

Any recommendations??

mtbr member
    Pike is nice but if you are going to do some really hardcore stuff, get the Lyric or 36. I'm torn between thoe two but would probably go with the 36 if I had to choose today. Theh again, if I were to do more hardcore stuff, I'd change up to the RFX.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the rfx is nice but I can't bear to part with my spot.

Any thoughts on the marz 66 ata or do you think the travel would be ott?

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    +1 for Pike.

'05 Spot here and I weight about the same as you. Dropped new 5.5 rockers w/ Pike at the same time and it handles anything I throw at it.

However, if going big is your primary style of riding, those other forks might be better for the job, although as mentioned you might be in RFX territory at that point.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    how did you find the new rockers - did you notice alot of difference? Turner have said that the CCDB with the 5.5 rockers is pretty sweet - can't wait to get them.

Going big is not the main aim but I want to be confident when I do in what's up front

mtbr member
    May 2007
    on another note would you go air or spring on the forks??

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by in-pact
    on another note would you go air or spring on the forks??
    Coil... definately coil.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks - I have only ever ridden air - what are the main differences in the coil and can you lock it out for a long climb?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Thanks - I have only ever ridden air - what are the main differences in the coil and can you lock it out for a long climb?
    At about 200lbs, I used to ride an air on my RFX (Zoke Z1 FR) but recently made the switch to a coil fork (RS Domain U-Turn). I liked the zoke - it was super plush but a real pain to set up to my liking. The Domain coil is more set and forget which I prefer. I don't have a lock out and prolly wouldn't use it if I did. I can adjust it down for the climbs which has proven to be very useful.

The coil has a more linear feel, not as progressive at ramp-up like to air forks usually feel. Some like that, some don't.
    MCM# 2007.1

trail fairy
    He did say Spot right

Just checking Carry on
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    how did you find the new rockers - did you notice alot of difference? Turner have said that the CCDB with the 5.5 rockers is pretty sweet - can't wait to get them.

Going big is not the main aim but I want to be confident when I do in what's up front
    The 5.5 rockers along with the Pike really changed the character of my '05 Spot. I was running a Talas 32 and the bike handled fairly decent, but I had a harder time chewing up the rough chunk. On the buffed singletrack it was a demon.

Adding the extra travel in the rear, albeit .2 inches, really seemed to change the whole dynamic. I did have to add a bit of pressure to my Pushed RP3, but it is ultra-plush in rear. So much that I often forget and run the RP3 in the normal position and don't notice on descents.

The Pike really changed the entire dynamic up front. It's stiff and makes really easy to charge through rock gardens without fearing deflection. It hasn't changed the climbing ability much, the U-Turn on the Pike feature is IMHO a bit easier to use at speed than the TALAS. So dialing the fork up or down is a snap. I may get it Pushed at some point, but currently I don't see a need.

-
    I went with the PUSH rockers on my 04.

The rockers feel like they’ve steepened the front end quite a bit with the previous Fox 130RLC on the front.

The Lyrik slackened it quite a bit, and the bottom bracket sits much higher -- I almost never bash the pedals anymore.

I like the Lyrik on my Spot -- I'll be racing her on the Downieville DH this year.

I also went with a DHX coil over shock -- seems to climb more efficiently with the ProPedal.

-ROXY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6roxy
    I went with the PUSH rockers on my 04.

The rockers feel like they’ve steepened the front end quite a bit with the previous Fox 130RLC on the front.

The Lyrik slackened it quite a bit, and the bottom bracket sits much higher -- I almost never bash the pedals anymore.

I like the Lyrik on my Spot -- I'll be racing her on the Downieville DH this year.

I also went with a DHX coil over shock -- seems to climb more efficiently with the ProPedal.

Push rockers were designed to increase travel and work with 140mm forks like the Pike as well as keeping the 69 degree head angle. Any fork shorter than a Pike would steepen the head angle and defeat the purpose of the Push rockers.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    Push rockers were designed to increase travel and work with 140mm forks like the Pike as well as keeping the 69 degree head angle. Any fork shorter than a Pike would steepen the head angle and defeat the purpose of the Push rockers.
    Yup, and that is why I the Lyrik stayed on the Spot.

I had the 130 prior to the rocker change from the OEM 5.1"
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is a sweet rig. I have ordered the rockers and the lyric's and I have maybe gone OTT but rather that getting a second bike I ordered a Cane Creek Double Barrel as well - once i fit the new kit i will post how it rides

trail fairy
    What can't ya do with a Turner, that should be a marketing slogan!

Wicked looking Spot, only DT would let ya get away with that

Churrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ta
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs