Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

what could it be?

its build time in old town tonight! stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

clues...
    No, I'm NOT back!

Large member
    Is it a new garden shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Is it a new garden shed?
    why, yes it is!
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    I guess a Stinger. Old Skool!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

"Its All Good"
    That warning sticker is great..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    clues...
    DANG !! HAPPY ?
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

trail fairy
    You finally got the flux straightened out
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

more than a little pal. it showed up today and blew my mind! saw it at the front door as i passed by the window on the way to work so i brought it in and took it down into the shop, of course i had to open up the box and take a peek before i left. then i just had to put it in the stand. after that ther was no choice but to gaze i bit as i went through the envelope and tube. i was a few min late gettin to the station.

after i got off about 10, i picked up candycorn for a late dinner without a glance, met squish at applebees, grabed the h/set press, crown race setter and steerer cutting guide in his messenger bag, had some pesto shrimp pasta and 2 brutus's and made a beeline back home to build it up. took longer than planned but as ya know ya gotta treat every piece of new h/ware with a lube of some sort, theres a few mods to make and some new cable routing to play with till i was happy. all the pics i took were time killers too.

by the way, instead of cuttin up a reducer, a old school jagwire stepped plastic ferruel works sweet! pics of that and the routing around the s/t are below. thoughts?

thanx buddy. this is a 11 year dream come true!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    more than a little pal. it showed up today and blew my mind! saw it at the front door as i passed by the window on the way to work so i brought it in and took it down into the shop, of course i had to open up the box and take a peek before i left. then i just had to put it in the stand. after that ther was no choice but to gaze i bit as i went through the envelope and tube. i was a few min late gettin to the station.

after i got off about 10, i picked up candycorn for a late dinner without a glance, met squish at applebees, grabed the h/set press, crown race setter and steerer cutting guide in his messenger bag, had some pesto shrimp pasta and 2 brutus's and made a beeline back home to build it up. took longer than planned but as ya know ya gotta treat every piece of new h/ware with a lube of some sort, theres a few mods to make and some new cable routing to play with till i was happy. all the pics i took were time killers too.

by the way, instead of cuttin up a reducer, a old school jagwire stepped plastic ferruel works sweet! pics of that and the routing around the s/t are below. thoughts?

thanx buddy. this is a 11 year dream come true!
    Looks perfect

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I guess a Stinger. Old Skool!
    we have a winner and early too! 1:54... thats impressive phillip!

its better than old school. a genuine NIB, never built, original tags still on it, plastic coverin the rainbow headbadge, setup card and fox manual included, '00 stinger. as far as im concirned, the find of a lifetime!
    No, I'm NOT back!

parts leftover
    we have a winner and early too! 1:54... thats impressive phillip!

its better than old school. a genuine NIB, never built, original tags still on it, plastic coverin the rainbow headbadge, setup card and fox manual included, '00 stinger. as far as im concirned, the find of a lifetime!
    NIB... incredible. Congrats and massive coolness points bestowed upon you!! Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

woops! now how in the world did THAT happen? lemme see if i have the real build pic in here somewhere........ (shuffle, clank, shift, crash, cuss) ................... here it is! not the best. ill get it outside tomorrow if the rain gives me a break. the xtr levers are temporary till the NIB black ops units hit the mailbox, maybe tomorrow.

heres the build:

’00 Turner Stinger frame 18”
    Fox Air Vanilla R rear shock w/ SRP ti hardware?
    ’00 Marzocchi X-Fly fork 80mm
    Chris King No Threadset
    Avid Saago Black Ops stem 120mm x 0 deg rise w/ SRP ti hardware
    Bontrager Select flat handlebar 7 deg sweep
    DBR Dual Compound grips
    LP Components Braids Jr. carbon bar ends w/ SRP ti hardware
    Avid Ultimate Black Ops brake levers
    Avid Ultimate Black Ops brakes
    Avid Rim Wrangler II ceramic brake pads
    XTR 952 8 spd shift pods
    XTR 951 Rapid Rise rear derailleur
    XTR 901 bottom swing front derailleur w/ SRP ti hardware
    XTR 952 cranks 175mm
    XTR 952 4 bolt spider
    XT 760 chainrings 44/32/22
    XT 760 alloy chainring bolts
    XTR 952 bottom bracket 73 x 113 mm
    Crank Brothers Eggbeater Twin Ti pedals
    XTR 900 ti cassette 12/32
    Sram PC68 chain
    Bontrager Valiant ceramic 32h/Chris King/DT Revolution radial non-drive side/DB14 3 cross drive side/alloy nipples = rear wheel
    Bontrager Valiant ceramic 28h/Chris King/Wheelsmith XL14, radial/alloy nipples = front wheel
    Velox rim tape
    Salsa SS skewers
    Bontrager p/v tubes
    Pannaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8” kevlar bead tires
    DBR seatpost clamp
    Thomson Elite seatpost 27.2 x 400mm
    Serfas ARC ti Kevlar saddle
    Bontrager road tube chainstay guard
    Profile plastic bottle cage
    SRP alloy bottle cage bolts

current weight of this xc rocket: 24.75 lbs. more changes to be made as time/money allow. goal is sub 23 lbs.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 05-11-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    When do we get to see the Proflex ?

thanx schlim. yeah, way incredible. ive been workin with rick at rtr bikes for almost 2 years now gettin this deal put together. hes been sorta patient as you might guess. whats funny is, if i remember it right, i 1st saw the proto 11 years ago yesterday, the day it showed up at my door. now how cool is that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

wait.... this isnt the proflex? you said it was the same thing.... restickered!!! ive been cheated.
    No, I'm NOT back!

i take it ya crossed yer cables too? i didnt see a better way so i did it like a old can-o--ale. seems to work dandy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Beautiful CC, I had a we lump in my throat, even got an origonal bomber!

Stunning addition to the family, I hate letting friends go, nice to see an old freind return Pal..

Well done CC yakept that one pretty quite mang

Churrrrrrrr Candy...................

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Neg reppers r my biatches
    very kewl....old skewl stuff is VERY fun to have as an option

TLL
    mtbr member
    Wow, I am impressed. is it too late to nominate this for TOTM?

If not, then next month for sure, because we have a definite winner here.

Good work, CC!
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Old Skool indeed

So...rear travel is 3"? Is that 3" of travel like the Nitrous is 3" of travel? Obviously, if DT made a bike with this style of rear suspension his was the penultimate transcendent iteration. Do I see a horst link somewhere?

I bet PUSH would buy you a six pack of something just to have the honor of mapping the suspension curve on one of their fancy shmancy machines.

On your parts list I see you listed XTR 952 shifter pods and Avid black brake levers but your picture seems to indicate separate XTR shifter pods and XTR brake levers. Hey, I've got two of those 8 speed XTR shift/brake combos on my Turners and I love them. And rapid rise, of course.

What's the entire word that is only shown as "...tion" in one of your pics?

And...how does it ride?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Now that is pretty cool CC. Are you bringing that out to Rapid City in a couple of weeks?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    . Do I see a horst link somewhere?

What's the entire word that is only shown as "...tion" in one of your pics?

Full Time FuncTION

Neg reppers r my biatches
    current weight of this xc rocket: 24.75 lbs.
    impressive...almost as light as your RFX

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    impressive...almost as light as your RFX
    Def some overlap there

Nice CC!, your so retro, what beer did you drink for the occasion?

Mr.Secret
    Couple of questions: CC, you did get the Stinger set up card didn't you? Didn't see a pic of it. Did you send in your warranty card ? If you didn't don't send it to Eagle Colorado 'cause Turner ain't there anymore. AND, did you get any sleep last night ?

mtbr member
    That frame looks beautiful!! Congrats!

Ball burnish finishing is the best, that'll be a head turner once it gets up and on the trail for sure

Get out a pot of Mother's Billet and she'll shine like a mirror

Large member
    I apologise, I was looking at the wrong part of the picture

That thing is just as cool as hell, you are a lucky fella. Did you have all the build parts lying around?

thanx xc. 2.8" actually but yer close enough. kinda close to the nitrous in idea but ill bet the nitrous is a more modern ride with the platform and rocker, maybe alot stiffer in the rear too. its all horst in back but a very shallow angle.

the black ops levers didnt show up till today and i was too jazzed to give it a 4am street test not to use the xtr levers. the avids are now mounted and look oh so nice with the matchin brakes and stem. took some time to mod though. the left cable carrier was a bit tight so i got out my trusty rat tail file and now its smooth. i dig the xtr pods. half thinkin i may go to my '05 x-9 drivetrain but i wont know that till i ride this thing and by the looks of our rain, that may not be this weekend so that sux.

full time function! that was davids way of tellin the world his bikes were totaly active. that was the shiz before the day of the platform shock.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    Are you bringing that out to Rapid City in a couple of weeks?
    count on it. the idea was to have it ready for buzzards roost. wanna take a lap on it?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Couple of questions: CC, you did get the Stinger set up card didn't you? Didn't see a pic of it. Did you send in your warranty card ? If you didn't don't send it to Eagle Colorado 'cause Turner ain't there anymore. AND, did you get any sleep last night ?
    yeppers! got the card but ive yet to weigh in and set it up. spaced the pic, my bad. mail the card? hell no! i hand delivered it and thats why i only got 6 hours of sleep. what a beaut, huh? this thing is gonna be fun. i might even like climbing for a change. ya wants for me to be sendin ya 1 of them thar those jag stepped ferruels for yers?
    No, I'm NOT back!

yer both total *****, ya know that? theres no crossover. this has a flat bar! geez!!

we went out before the build began to a place i thought had fat tire... i was wrong. 2 massive domestics was all i had. i reached for another when i got home but decided not to. the mellow buzz i had was enough to get me through standin on what very well may be a busted left foot. the dogs knocked the rfx over yesterday and with my back to it, the bar/lever landed square on my slipper. not fun but im gettin by ok with a slight limp.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    CC, that is awesome!!! I've kinda been kinda keepin my eye out for one for a while.

Are you going to keep it old school or bling it out with some fancy new bits?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    you are a lucky fella. Did you have all the build parts lying around?
    way lucky. what are the chances of findin somethin like this? fo's mom might get a job that requires a ss # and clothes 1st. yep, pretty much all spares i have in my home shop made this build. thanx for the kind words pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    yeppers! got the card but ive yet to weigh in and set it up. spaced the pic, my bad. mail the card? hell no! i hand delivered it and thats why i only got 6 hours of sleep. what a beaut, huh? this thing is gonna be fun. i might even like climbing for a change. ya wants for me to be sendin ya 1 of them thar those jag stepped ferruels for yers?
    Sure, that ferrule booted up nicely. I might have some in a parts bucket somewhere but if you want to send one that'd be cool. Keep me from have'n to do an "archiological" dig. Bike looks great BTW !

ill send 1 unless ya need more. think i have a small hand full. my guess is the envelope is still on the biz mgr's desk anyway. damn slackers! it looks good thanx to you man.

ohm: thanx. this was a total score. i wish ya the same luck i had. got any more rick? for now itll stay kinda period like it is. local trails may insist on 9spd and all i have spare is the x-9 hangin off my burner that lays in pieces at the moment. may build that up old school and slightly modernize this. i do know im far from my target weight and since i wanna ride it, thats also a big deal to me. the swap to the sram also means some spare bits on road trips like im doin in 2 weeks.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret

ohm: thanx. this was a total score. i wish ya the same luck i had. got any more rick?
    The only one left here's mine. Depending on what size OMH would need I do have a customer that's a hardcore roadie who's got a 19.5" Stinger that I built for him back in that era. Last time I saw it it looked like it just rolled out my door, as in brand new. He has expressed an interest in selling it 'cause it just sits and gathers dust as he's ALWAYS on his Ti Ibis road machine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It's good you went 8 speed

To sort of tie things together, Old Skool Style. I prefer my 8 speed's cog sizes, even with all the climbing we do here in Colorado. 32-28-24 etc has always felt better to me than 34-30-26 etc. Anytime I have 9 speed set up on one of my bikes I always put on a 32 top cog in back to keep that 32-28 etc.

Besides, surely you don't need a 34 while you're just pedaling up and down the street in front of your house anyway, right?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Besides, surely you don't need a 34 while you're just pedaling up and down the street in front of your house anyway, right?
    good point. but as ya may have heard, i climb like chuck norris acts... badly. i need every advantage i can find.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

And furthermore

For my style of riding I've always said all I need is a 3" bike. Just something to take the hits off my butt and back. One of my bikes is a 2003 Sugar 2+ which used to be my main ride. I can set the travel to 4.1 or 2.8 in back. Right now it's my townie and it's at 2.8 with a Skareb Super 80mm in front. And XTR vees. Every now and then I'll take it to any number of gnarly front range trails and it's always a pleasure.

I think you are going to be blown away at how much fun that Stinger is gonna be.

i think yer right man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Nice CC - ya gonna take it off some sweet jumps?

trail fairy
    t i dig the xtr pods. half thinkin i may go to my '05 x-9 drivetrain but i wont know that till i ride this thing
    Blasphemy XTR for X9
    You are geting very nostalgic there old fella, those pods were good in there day, but X9 is GOD and don't forget it

and by the looks of our rain, that may not be this weekend so that sux.
    You ***** get out in the rain and ride old man

If ya ever get down under and ride with me you'll be getting wet in the land of the long white cloud, I have a spare set of mud tires so ya better get training, mind you I wouldn't want to get that pretty thing dirte, looks like it should be hanging above the big screen LCD in the living room

Chur CC

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    The only one left here's mine. Depending on what size OMH would need I do have a customer that's a hardcore roadie who's got a 19.5" Stinger that I built for him back in that era. Last time I saw it it looked like it just rolled out my door, as in brand new. He has expressed an interest in selling it 'cause it just sits and gathers dust as he's ALWAYS on his Ti Ibis road machine.
    RTR
    Too big for me. Thanks though.

With all this retro stuff I thought I'd dig out my first fs ride. Not even close to a Turner and it's in pretty ruff shape now but it was a lot of fun. If I remember right it dates back to 94/95and weighed in over 30 pounds and something like 2.75" in the rear and a little less travel in the front.

Sorry to highjack the thread CC.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

i remember those. werent they a rst rip off of the manitou? cool stuff ya got there ohm. not the best of the time but cool to see just the same. gonna restore it some?
    No, I'm NOT back!

its not about a lack of will there chur breath, its more like not literally destroyin the trails. our local soil does not play well with wet and use. doesnt help that they are state parks that the rangers close for up to a week after dependin on the rainfall. yeah, kinda different but i have seen why its done.
    No, I'm NOT back!

you betcha! theres a new dj park bein built in the black hills by 2 guys includin jeff lewinsky as we speak. thank gawd its done in time.

by the way, her name is lana, as in lana turner. this is why.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    its not about a lack of will there chur breath, its more like not literally destroyin the trails. our local soil does not play well with wet and use. doesnt help that they are state parks that the rangers close for up to a week after dependin on the rainfall. yeah, kinda different but i have seen why its done.
    Ya been reading too many of my posts or ya been hanging out wit some kiwi's I almost didn't get that first bit

Fair call on the trails gotta look after them, trail karma goes along way and the TBs appreciate the love

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Lookin good CC. Keep the faith and you may be able to get her out Sunday late or monday morning.

mtbr member
    count on it. the idea was to have it ready for buzzards roost. wanna take a lap on it?
    Your too much man. You score something like that and you offer to let me ride it? You do know that I can wreck an anvil with a rubber hammer don't you?

I would love to ride it. Thanks a ton! I haven't decided what bike I am bringing over this year, but you are welcome to use it so we can take that lap together.

Looking forward to linking up with you guys.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast