Knollician

What could this be?

2006 RFX, Avid Juicy 7's with 185 Galfer rotor mounted on King ISO rear hub.

The scratches are only on the inside, nothing on the bottom, top, or outside of the stay. The furthest scratches are about 1" away from the rotor. The only thing I can come up with is the rotor hitting it. But how is that possible? There is no damage to the rotor, and the rotor sits about 1/4" or more away from the stay. My hub was a little loose this weekend, but nothing to create enough movement to scratch up to 1" away. During compression, since it is TNT the wheel is fixed in it's position as related to the chain stay.

I ride in Phoenix, so there is nothing that would get caught like a stick in there without me noticing.

I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

"Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Could be the rotor hitting the inside of your chainstay when you are putting your rear wheel on (or taking it off) your bike. That's what it looks like anyway.
    MCM# 2007.1

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Could be the rotor hitting the inside of your chainstay when you are putting your rear wheel on (or taking it off) your bike. That's what it looks like anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Not sure, the scratches are pretty deep. Wierd. Thanks.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Damn chainstay biters! I bet the little sucka is still there chewing away. Unfortunately you can't see 'em if they don't want you to... and while he is chewin', he aint gonna want you lookin'.

Luckily, they are afraid of the dark so if you put your bike in the dark for a few hours, the lil' woodbury will let go. That should solve the problem.

Good luck.

Are you taking your rear wheel off a lot??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i would say its most probably caused when you take out or replace the rear tire, thus causing the rotor to hit the chain stay. i was never able to find out why similar scratches to yours appeared on my hardtail until i took out the tire and noticed the rotor keeps on hitting aganist it. But then again, the scratches on my bike are not as bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Are the galfer rotors any good, and where did you get them??
    Does Larry at MtnHigh stock them??

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    Are the galfer rotors any good, and where did you get them??
    Does Larry at MtnHigh stock them??
    The Galfer rotors are the best I have used. They are supposed to be matched with Galfer pads which I also have. They have made my Juicy's to the perfect brake. No more noise at all, and they are more powerful, yet feel like they modulate better as well.

I picked mine up form go-ride.com, but Larry should have them too.