No, that's not phonetic

Western States road trip pics 6. Got bandwidth?

The Yeti 575 I demoed for a day in St. George. A very sweet bike.

The Spider I demoed for a day in Moab. Rode it on Sovereign singletrack. This would be a killer race/smoother terrain xc trailbike.

Our home-away-from-home for 8 weeks. This thing was SHWANK and PLUSH compared to camping. Highly recommended! Hot and cold running water, shower, toilet, propane fridge and freezer, complete kitchen with gas range, lots of seating, reasonable stereo, but handled like a sheet of plywood in a hurricane. Can't have it all I guess.

Barny traverses Bartlett Wash

Crash and Barny head down Tusher Canyon, "left side"

Two-Headed rock, Tusher

Barny climbing to the top of Little Canyon Rim, Arth's Pasture, Moab

Tusher Canyon "right" loop.

Barny negotiates a section of Sovereign Singletrack under the otherworldly Morrison formation bluffs.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

a book for the coffee table

wow great shots, you should put together a book. it sounds like you guys had a dream trip. i've been wanting to post and thank you for awhile now. just before you left for your trip you posted a response to my questions on whether i should buy a 5 spot (you said i should look at shock ratios because of my size). i took into consideration all the things i'd investigated, as well as the advise i recieved here and your post sealed the deal i ordered a X5 from mtnhighcyclery soon after. i absolutley love the bike and its transformed my riding experience. thanks for the help!!!! despite owning a ventana i like spending time here with you turner folks. if you want to check out my ride i posted a pic a few weeks ago in the ventana forum. Best regards Jim S.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey BKD,

Yeah, I saw your bike and that thing looks way skookum. Glad it worked out. Larry certainly knows his Ventanas. If I weren't such a Turner whore, I'd be on one too (maybe some day...). The only other two bikes I really wanted to throw a leg over were the 5.5 and the X-5, but I couldn't scare any up. Guess we'll have to do another road trip soon

Stop by anytime. I think Turner owners have a special bond with Ventana owners, and vice versa.

tscheezy

mtbr member
    tscheezy,

Let's see a David Letterman's Top Ten, or atleast a High Fidelity Top Five, for the trails that you rode.

Crash

Lay off the Levers
    Dude, I don't think I'll be riding with my camera anymore...Having seen this, what's the point?
    I'm gonna have to put this series in my screen saver!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Now I'm just scraping some panoramas together...

Mack's Ridge, Kokopelli's Trail, Fruita:

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Now I'm just scraping some panoramas together...

Mack's Ridge, Kokopelli's Trail, Fruita:
    Curious, is that a manual composite?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Curious, is that a manual composite?
    Yup. I have to admit I did not spend much time on it. Kinda a rough slap-together.

tscheezy

rr
    I don't do PC

New question here.

Yup. I have to admit I did not spend much time on it. Kinda a rough slap-together.

tscheezy
    Great pics man!, I have a question for ya- do you have the details on the Sovereign trail? We will be there in a few weeks and I wanted to check it out, where is the trailhead and how long to ride it? I was thinking the Sov. trail in the morning and then Slickrock or Bartletts in the afternoon since we only have 3 days there. Thanks

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't have the map in front of me (we shipped a lot of guide books and maps home book-rate). Check Utahmountainbiking for a very rough map and description.

The blue line is the singletrack. That is the fun bit. The map does not show more singletrack to the northwest which is on a low mesa top. That other stuff is not as fun. You can just make a loop using some of the brown colored trails and ride all the blue trails. Make no mistake, the trail is fairly long and strenuous. That is where I demoed the Spider, and I spent over 4 hours zipping around at a good clip riding most of the trails.

Once in Moab, stop by Chili Pepper or about any other bike shop and buy the little stand-alone map for about $4. It is much better.

tscheezy

rr
    I don't do PC

Smile

I don't have the map in front of me (we shipped a lot of guide books and maps home book-rate). Check Utahmountainbiking for a very rough map and description.

The blue line is the singletrack. That is the fun bit. The map does not show more singletrack to the northwest which is on a low mesa top. That other stuff is not as fun. You can just make a loop using some of the brown colored trails and ride all the blue trails. Make no mistake, the trail is fairly long and strenuous. That is where I demoed the Spider, and I spent over 4 hours zipping around at a good clip riding most of the trails.

Once in Moab, stop by Chili Pepper or about any other bike shop and buy the little stand-alone map for about $4. It is much better.

tscheezy
    Cool, thanks for the map & info. So what your saying is its not a good idea to try Sovereign as a combo with another trail. Would you recommend the trail considering our 3 day limit? We will have some Moab newbies on this trip so I fiqured we have to do some type of slickrock ride and of course Porc. Rim, but I wanted to check out something new also- decisions decisions

No, that's not phonetic
    I think you would have to be in pretty good shape to do Sovereign and another trail in a day, especially if it is warm out. We're no pudding-butts, but it was hot enough and the trail tiring enough that Barny bailed after the 3 hours of knocking out the main loops while I spent another hour checking out the mesa. We fooled around on slickrock and checked out some spurs, so our riding was not as direct and to the point as it could have been, but unless you know the area, you will likely do the same.

People "in-the-know" who ride Moab often may deride some of the classics like Slickrock and Porcupine as nothing more than tourist-choked cattle chutes, but they became popular for a reason: they are fun, challenging, and perhaps the best examples of their type of trail in the area. The one exception is Poison spider. That is a tourist-choked cattle chute. If you only have 2 days, go hit Slickrock and Porcupine and add something else one afternoon if you are still feeling fresh. I'd suggest a jaunt up Amasa Back. It is pretty short and the scenery is stunning.

Most important: get an early start and be organized.

Slickrock near the Sorcerer's Apprentice

Porcupine above the launch rock

tscheezy

Tonight we ride.
    Awesome photos tscheezy. The scenery out there is really amazing. I wish I could swing a road trip lasting 2.5 months. I only hit the popular trails when I was last in Moab.

You might consider a post on Passion with links to these threads, since many people don't check this board.

mtbr member
    Porcupine above the launch rock
    Where is this on Porcupine? Is it where we fixed Jimmy's pedal?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thanks again tscheezy, I think we will check out Sovereign one day. Amasa Back is awesome, but I've only done it going down after Jacob's Ladder and the Hurrah Pass loop.

Trail rider and racer
    Tscheezy,

I thoroughly enjoyed all 6 sets of pictures and small commentary provided. The photo's have inspired me. I have been edging to hit the states for a riding road trip and this is the icing on the cake in a sense.
    Trev!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    The photo's have inspired me. I have been edging to hit the states for a riding road trip...
    If you want a suggested itinerary and some recommendations for resources, let me know. I put together a fat package of maps and guidebooks. Doing the RV thing really made the trip relative to camping. Glad you liked the pics. It was a crazy-fun trip.

tscheezy

Trail rider and racer
    If you want a suggested itinerary and some recommendations for resources, let me know. I put together a fat package of maps and guidebooks. Doing the RV thing really made the trip relative to camping. Glad you liked the pics. It was a crazy-fun trip.

tscheezy
    At your leisure if you can post a few links or any good sources to information it would be much appreciated, your trip honestly looks like the best of fun for sure, and I do have it in the books to make it over to do something similar in the near future.

Again great stuff indeed, and thanks for sharing.
    Trev!