over researcher

washing your turner

My Flux is in need of a washing. This is my first FS bike, and I'm a bit nervous of having running water coming in contact with the pivots. Should I use a squirt bottle to soften the mud chunks and wipe them off, or will that scratch the ano? How do you do it? Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic
    A soapy water bucket and a brush with long, soft bristles. Spray the bike to get it damp, go over it with the brush, rinse.

I just was my bike with a hose. I don't worry at all about getting the pivots wet because the hose won't introduce any more water than my rides do . When you go to regrease the pivots via the zerks, it pushes any water out. There is nothing in the pivots which can rust in any way. They are totally impervious to corrosion.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't wash my bike. I let the mud and dirt dry then brush it all off with a soft hand broom. I clean my drive train with a drive train brush after every ride and lube the chain with Rock N Roll lube and the derailleur with Tri-Flow when needed. For me it's quicker and I don't have to worry about drying it off. As much as I ride in the mud hear in Western Washington I would spend more time washing than riding if I used water.

mtbr platinum member
    I don't wash my bike too often. I don't live in a muddy climate, and I find that more things squeak after I spray it down. When I do finally clean up my bike, I use a garden hose with my thumb over the end, which doesn't produce enough of a stream to blast dirt into any of the bikes' bearings. I then grab a bucket of soapy water and a wool wash mit and wipe down the frame and wheels.

When I'm done, I dry everything with a towel, relube the chain, and wipe down my brake rotors with alcohol.

Like I said, I only get this thorough if I'm planning a trip to Moab or something.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I wash mine. Mainly because 4 months a year here it's kind of gloopy at best and the sight of all that dried mud on the bike is too much to bare! Low power hose, brush, toothbrush for all the cnc'd stuff, hose again and lube.

That's really anal. My other bikes just get banged against the wall to shed the dried on mud. But the 5-spot cost *alot* more than those

banned
    Don't wash my bike, either. Once in a while when I'm ready to work on it. Even though the sealed bushings are reslient to water, pressurized water isn't good for anything. Just let the water flow over the surface and wash off.

That pink FinishLine/Muc-Off stuff works well

Baked Alaskan
    After the muck builds up or a muddy ride I hose it off without a nozzle or a lot of pressure. Then I just squirt a little of the blue dawn dishwashing liquid into some hot water and scrub it with a soft brush to get the dirt off. I scrub the driveline real good to get the gunk off, let it dry, relube... rinse, lather, repeat. Dawn really does take grease out of your way and its already in the house. Way cheaper than any fancy-schmancy designer degreaser crap too. Every so often I squirt some grease into the zerks just to purge the old out and keep the gunk out of the pivots. Never had any issues with squeaks, stiction or anything. Just pulled my Spot rear off for the first time -- mine is one of the original '03's -- and the pivot bushings look like new. All is good.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

over researcher
    Normally I wouldn't bother either, but after today's ride, I had about a 1/2" to 5/8" layer of mud built up on the underside of the downtube. Of course, I just knocked that all off, but I would like to clean up the bike a little bit. Thanks for the tips. It sounds like I should just wash it like I did my hardtail. I think I'll drive down and pick up a grease kit on Monday first though.

banned
    I would advise getting the grease kit from Turner because they include the long needle, which is already bent for you. If you were to buy the Dualco gun, grease, and the long needle, you're looking at close to $40, as opposed to $25 from Turner + shipping, so buy a whole bunch of other crap, like derailleur hangers while you're at it. Trust me. You may or may not ever need to use one, but if you do, then you'll be happy you listend when I told ya to buy keep an extra in your pack.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I would advise getting the grease kit from Turner because they include the long needle, which is already bent for you. If you were to buy the Dualco gun, grease, and the long needle, you're looking at close to $40, as opposed to $25 from Turner + shipping, so buy a whole bunch of other crap, like derailleur hangers while you're at it. Trust me. You may or may not ever need to use one, but if you do, then you'll be happy you listend when I told ya to buy keep an extra in your pack.
    How often should you grease the pivots? I'm out in the Arizona desert so not too much water, snow or mud lately.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

banned
    the interval would be based on your riding. Basically, try and gently top off the pivots and if they don't take any grease, they are full. There was a time when I was running twice a month. At this point, I haven't been able to purge them in two. Maybe back to summer and that'll change.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Yeah, I'll be driving down to Turner's on Monday to buy the grease kit. They're just down the road about 20 to 30 miles. Besides, I'd like to meet the people I bugged on an almost daily basis trying to figure out which frame to buy. I already bought a derailleur hanger, and have it safely stowed in the bottom of my pack.