Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

wanted: '01 stinger disc rear stays

theres 2 folks that are lookin for some '01 stinger disc compatable stays, im 1 of em. the other guy has the very last stinger ft tri ever made and would like to update the '00 rear to match correctly.

it need not come with the disc adaptor itself but it wont hurt if it does. if ya have a adaptor or 3, let me know about those too please. i know of 3 guys lookin for those.

also not important are the chainstays, the upper mac-ilack strut shock stay is all thats needed but a full rear is dandy if thats what ya have. also, we dont much care if its used, painted, scratched or covered in old stickers cuz the plan is to re polish anyway. please, no killed, wallowed out, dented, broken or bent bits.

if ya dont know what yer lookin for, see the pics below. this is the '00 and previous non disc version. note the single non threaded, stepped hole in the dropout itself, no threaded hole atop the stay. the newer stay has this threaded hole for the adaptor to bolt into.

pm or email me if ya can help. thanx!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    I've got 1 of the Turner/Hayes adaptors left and I think it could work if you bolted it to the dropout then used it for a jig to drill the top of the compression strut for a riv-nut.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

a little birdie says thats a no go. the tube wont support the extra forces. it was beefed up in '01, hence the slightly heavyer frame.

is that adaptor available for sale or just as a loaner jig?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    It's available

trail fairy
    Alright already you win TOM may you have the most threads dedicated to the old girl

Try using nitorus seat stays to adjust the ha bb angle/heights u may need ebay help
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

last version

The last generation of Stinger stays have a dropout that looks Way bigger than the one shown. It is more of a small version of the XCE dropout with the integrated upper adapter mount machined into the plate. I would really like one of those as well.

DT

Team Blindspot
    Sheesh CC, why don't you build a bike that you can at least get parts for

Oh wait. I forgot who I'm talking to. Nevermind

P.S. Cool bike
    Astigmatic Visionary

cats outta the bag. theres the other guy im shoppin for.

rtr: i dont know a ton about the adaptors for these old bikes yet. was there a is version as well or would we need to use a 22mm hayes to is adaptor on top of this one? ive got the 2nd adaptor so its cool if thats the plan.

sworks: glad ya dig it. im slated to break its cherry in the am!

ta: could be worse. lots worse. at least its not another gt thread, gawd love him.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Is the goal to run disc brakes?, or is the goal to run disc brakes ONLY w/ the original stays?

I ran the Brake Therapy setup on a ti hardtail for a few years back in 2000, worked perfectly and is period correct.

good question rrrrrrrrroeder! ive got a woodman disco system i ran on the burner 4 years ago. works great but its a brick and engagement of the r hub is lackluster. better than a xt but not as good as a xtr i suppose. dt tells me the bt's had a history of snappin the boss's off his frames and reccomended the woodman. id rather keep it light and clean if i ever do make the change.

dt wants 1 to finish off a '01 front tri that currently has a non disc '00 rear for his wall of fame.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    don't run disc's its looking great, youre not gonna actually ride that peasce of art are you..

Keep it true/retro CC, shes looks "almost" perfect, get my drift

.002c
    chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

ride it? noooooooooooo................
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Really?, I talked to the them about that cause I had heard that as well, he said they had not had any issues with boss's breaking, mine never had an issue. You could run stock hubs with the BT unit.

I kinda agree with TA tho, the V's are fine for that rig.

banned
    Disc front, vee rear. No biggie. I thought I remember somewhere in the past hearing DT recommend one type of aftermarket adapter over another.

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    cats outta the bag. theres the other guy im shoppin for.

rtr: i dont know a ton about the adaptors for these old bikes yet. was there a is version as well or would we need to use a 22mm hayes to is adaptor on top of this one? ive got the 2nd adaptor so its cool if thats the plan.

sworks: glad ya dig it. im slated to break its cherry in the am!

ta: could be worse. lots worse. at least its not another gt thread, gawd love him.
    CC, DT did produce the I.S. adaptor for those dropouts and other than a few still in service on mostly XCE's they're gone.The Hayes 22mm adaptor is the only one I've got left. BUT, WHAT THE HECK, leave the V's on there, even most of the pros were still running V's in that era. psst,don't tell anybody but I still run V's on my Flux, ceramic rims/pads, it's got plenty of whoa power. My Stinger, WTB Bon Tempe, Bow Ti all have V's. Nice ride write up too BTW !

man i hate that combo. feels like yer ridin 2 diff bikes but i know a few guys who are cool with it like you are. good on ya!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Really?, I talked to the them about that cause I had heard that as well, he said they had not had any issues with boss's breaking, mine never had an issue. You could run stock hubs with the BT unit.

I kinda agree with TA tho, the V's are fine for that rig.
    not sure rick. just know what i heard from him in '03 and didnt wanna risk it even though the woodman is sorta a pain in the ass qr wise and needs a dedicated hub regardless of what they say. the xt mod did not clear even with the proper spacing.

and yer right boys, the veeeeeeeeeeeee's work dandy. but theres gonna come a day when that may not be a easy route to take with discs becommin the norm down to a $500 bike. with the way these turners last, i may need to swap at some point if the shock seals hold that long. ive got fork spares and spare forks so im cool up front.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    man i hate that combo. feels like yer ridin 2 diff bikes but i know a few guys who are cool with it like you are. good on ya!
    Well if ya do bud can I make a suggestion eek I think Vs will always be around, pads etc!

Still in case, why not hook up a set of Avid cables dis calipers, so ya can keep those XTR levers up front and keep her as origonal as poss, its sorta part of its charm!

Just a thought?

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

ive got 2 sets of bb-7's ready to go.

look again, those are NIB ultimate levers i picked up for this build however i do have a set of xtr vee levers in a box but those are slated for the burner retro rebuild if i cant find all the original canti parts. there were 3 diff versions of my burner from late '95 to early '05 when i went to discs, so 4 total.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Ahh ya got me I don't see any picc in this thread of the levers though, still ya set told ya you would catch up and pass me now where's the downhill part again

Oh those weren't there before, I must be going blind as well..

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

i built it with the xtr's fri night/sat mornin when i posted the 1st pics. the avids showed up later that mornin and went on that day. much better feel overall and a touch lighter too. most of all they look bad ass with the black ops brake/stem package.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Run Magura HS33s! I did back in 1998 and 99.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

trail fairy
    i built it with the xtr's fri night/sat mornin when i posted the 1st pics. the avids showed up later that mornin and went on that day. much better feel overall and a touch lighter too. most of all they look bad ass with the black ops brake/stem package.
    I thought you were messing with me

They do look bad ass, ya know ya started a new Homer trend, everyone is gonna be scouring flee bay, classyfieds, etc looking for these things as next months UGI projects

Jayem those Maggies were the bomb no doubt about it a little hard on rims though, I twisted a couple with those things, awesome brakes, rim hydralulics ahead of there time!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

same here. these pics from '99 show em only on the rear but i did run em on my judy as far back as '98. good brake but the feel was poop for xc stuff. and hea-vy! never liked the levers either. they didnt match a shifter pod profile for shyt and the lever was longer than my list of excuses for not havin my wallet at check time.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I thought you were messing with me

They do look bad ass, ya know ya started a new Homer trend, everyone is gonna be scouring flee bay, classyfieds, etc looking for these things as next months UGI projects

Jayem those Maggies were the bomb no doubt about it a little hard on rims though, I twisted a couple with those things, awesome brakes, rim hydralulics ahead of there time!
    That and the seatstay flex.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast