Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    613

    Want a used Burner, but have some ?s....

    Hey, like my 5 spot so much, I thought I'd get a used Burner for some faster XC, but first some questions:
    What's the i2i on the rear shock?
    Can / should I replace the Manitou 3 way with another, like a RP3? or is the Manitou ok? I like the idea of switching platform or even locking out for this bike.....
    They're OK for a 215 lb rider?
    We've been riding less technical trails lately, and I thought this would be fun. Can't really find another bike w/ a 70* or slightly less head angle at this suspension size, and I just love the 5 spot, so why not? Hardtails pound me just too much.....
    I was thinking of a adjustable 5'' fork up front, dialed down to 90-100mm, except for the occasional very hairy technicals descents. Make sense?
    Any other frame suggestions?
    Thanks for your input!
    SB.
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    132

    burner

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Hey, like my 5 spot so much, I thought I'd get a used Burner for some faster XC, but first some questions:
    What's the i2i on the rear shock?
    Can / should I replace the Manitou 3 way with another, like a RP3? or is the Manitou ok? I like the idea of switching platform or even locking out for this bike.....
    They're OK for a 215 lb rider?
    We've been riding less technical trails lately, and I thought this would be fun. Can't really find another bike w/ a 70* or slightly less head angle at this suspension size, and I just love the 5 spot, so why not? Hardtails pound me just too much.....
    I was thinking of a adjustable 5'' fork up front, dialed down to 90-100mm, except for the occasional very hairy technicals descents. Make sense?
    Any other frame suggestions?
    Thanks for your input!
    SB.
    the i2i is 6.5 inches
    i would replace the 3 way, i don't like mine. i am saving up for an rp3, or maybe just a float. i think the frame should handle your weight no problem for the kind of riding you are doing. i have an adjustable fork on mine (minute one-- i am going to change it to something else though --sometimes it is hard to preload before pulling up on the handle bars, which i don't like) a lot of times i run it at 130 and it handles pretty well and bombs downhill. at 100 mm it handles great! faster than the 5 spot. great cornering, great acceleration.

    for the kind of riding you are describing i think you will love the burner. it rides nothing like a hard tail. if i was getting another turner though, i would look long and hard at the flux. of course $ may be an issue. have fun..........

  3. #3
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971

    answers:

    hi spongebob
    shoot!
    6.5"
    yes!
    it blows.
    us too.
    so i hear.
    it will be.
    no good reason pal.
    me too. sellin off my last one.
    good idea. thats what i do on my flux.
    sure does.
    yep!
    yer welcome.


    oh yeah, my suggestion. lose the burner idea and get a flux.

    ps: now go away or i will taunt you a second time!
    gawd i can be a smart ass cant i? hehehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    322

    Shameless plug

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Hey, like my 5 spot so much, I thought I'd get a used Burner for some faster XC, but first some questions:
    What's the i2i on the rear shock?
    SB.
    Shameless plug:
    Now that I got my 5-spot I'm considering selling my Burner. It's a 19.5" black, polished rear end, with a Pushed Float rear shock. XT, Fox fork with a Stratos ID cartridge. I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it, but drop me a line if you're curious.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    613

    Will do......

    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr
    Shameless plug:
    Now that I got my 5-spot I'm considering selling my Burner. It's a 19.5" black, polished rear end, with a Pushed Float rear shock. XT, Fox fork with a Stratos ID cartridge. I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it, but drop me a line if you're curious.
    Would just be looking for the frame. Will PM you.
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    613

    good info.......but what's so different about the Flux?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    the i2i is 6.5 inches
    i would replace the 3 way, i don't like mine. i am saving up for an rp3, or maybe just a float. i think the frame should handle your weight no problem for the kind of riding you are doing. i have an adjustable fork on mine (minute one-- i am going to change it to something else though --sometimes it is hard to preload before pulling up on the handle bars, which i don't like) a lot of times i run it at 130 and it handles pretty well and bombs downhill. at 100 mm it handles great! faster than the 5 spot. great cornering, great acceleration.

    for the kind of riding you are describing i think you will love the burner. it rides nothing like a hard tail. if i was getting another turner though, i would look long and hard at the flux. of course $ may be an issue. have fun..........

    Yes, the $ is an issue for a 2nd part time bike. And I want to stay closer to a a minimalist suspension. What is so much better with the Flux?

    Thanks
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    132

    flux

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Yes, the $ is an issue for a 2nd part time bike. And I want to stay closer to a a minimalist suspension. What is so much better with the Flux?

    Thanks
    i don't know if it is so much better, and i certainly have much more time on the burner, because i only rode the flux around the parking lot and a small bit of trail (so take what is say for what it is worth), but i like the lighter weight frame, slightly longer top tube and balance. maybe if felt more like my 5 spot and maybe i liked the suspension set up better (like i said before i don't really like the manitoo spv stuff i have on there) the flux had fox rp3 and a talas fork. maybe the rocker angle makes a differenence. to me the flux is just a bit better. Doubling the price of a burner frame might not be worth it. But if money were not an issue for me, the scale would tip slightly in favor of the flux.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    369

    Good choice, but..

    .....I agree w/bdog, get rid of the Swinger. Too harsh. (I didn't like it, but may have been my reluctance to take the time to really dial it in) and that frame took all I could give it and I'm 240lbs. It's a good choice IMO.

  9. #9
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,215

    Go for it!

    My burner is the nicest of all the geared MTBs I've ever owned. It blows away most of the FS bikes I've ridden. I like a stiff bike as I'm about 255# and I have no complaints about the 3 way shock so far. I ride xc on the bike and it has been equally fine for techy climbs and descents and railing fast sections at speed. I rarely get more than 12" of air under the tires but, it handles that fine.

    The Burner climbs very well for me, especially when I lock the ETA on my MX Pro 105mm fork down, it lowers the front just enough to help keep it on the ground on steep stuff.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •