Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bite Me.

Wait for the Reba 29er 120 or Go With the WB Fluid 135?

I'm losing patience - now it sounds like the new Reba 29er might not be here until September. My Sultan is lusting for longer legs - Universal Cycles has the WB Fluid 135 on sale for $661 - sweet deal.

Pros of the WB - 135mm vs 120mm, less money, available now, coil feel

Cons - heavier than the Reba, no Maxle, no U-turn, not as tuneable, IS brake mounts instead of post

The AC height on the WB looks like it's only 5mm higher than the Reba 120 so, I'm tempted by the added travel without adding a lot of height. I do love travel adjust though, and the Maxle is a sweet system - how much of a pain is it to undo the thru-axle on the WB? I'm frequently putting the bike on a fork mount roof rack, so that is an issue for me. Any thoughts - I know folks really like the WB, but I wonder if I should just wait out the RS 2009 models. Thanks
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Living the Dream

Wait for the Reba

Unless you're without a bike to ride right now. I think that you will be able to get the Reba for less than $661. Also, the Motion Control is really nice and it looks like Reba will be pretty stiff with the power bulge. I'm waiting to buildup my Sultan also. In the meantime, my Highline is my only ride.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    how much of a pain is it to undo the thru-axle on the WB?
    Threaded end cap on the axle and two 5mm bolts on the leg.

One thing to think about, seems there are a lot of folks waiting the the new Reba. Unless you get lucky and get in on the first batch (or RockShox has enough foresight to make a bunch) you might not get one in Sept. Get the WB and when the Reba finally comes out and then sell the WB.

ride
    If you like the action of the Fox that's on there but just want longer legs, what about a Fox 120?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

No, that's not phonetic
    Just get the WB and if it doesn't measure up sell it in the fall and switch to the Reba. I bet you stick with it though. It's really a nice performing fork and brings out the best characteristics of the Sultan.

Re: the thru axle: you do have to turn 3 different 5mm allen screws to get the axle out, but it is one of the best executions of a bolt 20mm system I have used. Not as handy as the Maxle, but good for a bolt system.

Do you not have a fork now? Don't you currently have a Fox? If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    Get a Highline
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

29 some of the time...
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the REBA. It may show, it may be a turd. The WB is tried and true. Don't get me wrong, the maxle is a great thing but unless they really work over the damping the REBA is more of an XC fork. Also, talk to Chad at Redbarn he did me better than that universal price on my fork even with a booster spring upcharge
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

not so super...
    I picked up a booster spring equiped 08 F135 off fleabay for under $500.
    Nothing to see here.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    that's an exceptionally good score

Chur !
    Life....the original terminal illness

not so super...
    it only had 3 bids. Guess everyone is waiting on the Reba.

According to the orange and purple Santa's sight it should be here tomorrow...frame is about 3 weeks out due to custom PC.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

Was that you???

Was that you? I was going to buy that thing for a customer until the bid went above his budget. Was that the one that had "some" minor wear showing? Ended just a week or two ago?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    frame is about 3 weeks out due to custom PC.
    Smurf Blue?

not so super...
    it was me! I don't recall it having any "wear" but we'll see tomorrow.

I really considered a smurf blue but didn't want to have matching bikes with the wife.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

???

it was me! I don't recall it having any "wear" but we'll see tomorrow.

I really considered a smurf blue but didn't want to have matching bikes with the wife.
    This one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW:IT&ih=014

Might not even be you...

not so super...
    that was me!
    Nothing to see here.

Bite Me.
    OK - good comments from everyone, but stuff that I was already running through the grinder. I am currently running the Fox F29 with an RWS Thru-bolt- a very nice fork, but I find on the steeper descents with drop-offs I feel like I'm right on the border of going over the bars, even with my butt right over the rear tire. I think it's a combination of the steeper HT angle on the Sultan and the shorter AC length of the fork and the fact that there's only 100mm of room to move on the front end. In all other respects, particularly climbing, the Fox works great, but I got spoiled by the 140mm 68-69 degree front end on the Spot. I now feel like I have hold back a bit on terrain that I used to rip through pretty quickly. So, the initial comments folks made were correct - the Sultan will ride better with more on the front end.

As for the Reba potentially being a "turd" - I have no concerns there. After riding my old Reba on the Burner for 4 years w/o a problem and the Revelation, I have no doubt the system has all its bugs worked out. The dual air set up is awesome for fine tuning the ride, MOCO damper works great, and the 2009 improvements can only help the fork perform better - 20mm thru-axle with Maxle, U-turn, "power-bulges" - what's not to like about that? I guess the biggest factor for me is the travel adjust - I was always tweaking the travel on the Spot and Burner to dial in the type of front end handling I needed - steeper for Slick Rock longer for Porc Rim. I'm not dying on the Fox, just getting anxious for setting the Sultan up with the perfect ride - I think I'll wait RS out a little longer and make due with what I have now. Things will just feel that much sweeter when it finally arrives. (It just needs to get here before THC).
    Last edited by cutthroat; 07-31-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

rr
    I don't do PC
    cutty I hear ya, I'm tired of dealing with the Manipoo TA with my fork mount rack, plus I know I want the adj travel for the climb/descend type trails.

I'm on Larry's list too(not sure where ) but I can't wait for the Reba to show. BTW, I have seen one in person here on a RS emp's bike, looks sooo nice. I asked him when and he said soon with a smile.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Given your choices I'd do the WB 135. The fork is way plusher than the Fox, fairly adjustable, and stiff as h*ell. The end caps on the TA are NBD. If I were to do another Sultan I'd do it up with another 135, no question.

mtbr member

same boat...

Cut, I'm in the same boat with my own personal new raw Sultan, going to go with the WB. Don't really give two shiats about travel adjust because every bike I've ever had with it I tend never to use, I like the idea of a smooth spring, and the Sultan will be plenty light not to worry about the extra poundage of the WB. I could care less about the maxle as I don't take front wheels off for travel anymore.

I also think that 135 is the way to go, geo-wise on the Sultan.

Not discounting the RS fork at all, I just want to ride this new one asap and the WB fork seems to be the ticket.

I gotta get off my a$$ and log into QBP...

mtbr member
    The only thing I would miss with the WB fork is the lockout feature. In spite of the sheer crappiness of the 'Poo, I will wait out the Reba.

Expert Crasher
    I'm on Larry's list too, must be a long and distinguished list, maybe just long.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I heard that some of the 2009 RS forks were due in Sept but that the 120 Reba was still slated for mid August.
    Can you hear me now?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    The only thing I would miss with the WB fork is the lockout feature. In spite of the sheer crappiness of the 'Poo, I will wait out the Reba.
    Personally I think lockout is overrated. I got away without it just fine, and hardly evar used it on my F29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Personally I think lockout is overrated. I got away without it just fine, and hardly evar used it on my F29.
    Clearly we're different riders

trail fairy
    Lockout is overkill on a Highline..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast