Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wait for Joplin or just buy an AMP

Simple as I can make it. Wait it out or buy ? Joplin looks like a nice design and I emailed AMP company w/o any response at all. (Which is a bad sign I'd think)
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Joplin is too wide for Turners (doesn't come in a 27.2mm diameter). Also have a look at GravityDropper.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes but I hear joplin is coming 27.2 end of summer ?

And on the AMP which drop should I look @ ? I'm 5'4" on an RFX. Trail, DH everything on the one bike. I just did a killer ride and played w/ seatpost for climbing... you can conserve sooo much energy w/ it up. But, I want to drop w/o stopping for stunts...
    All about the ride

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Simple as I can make it. Wait it out or buy ? Joplin looks like a nice design and I emailed AMP company w/o any response at all. (Which is a bad sign I'd think)
    The gravity dropper is by far the best option IMHO.

Joplin: 3" drop is not enough for steeps, drops and jumps. Too wide for Turners. Reports of post "slipping" due to air design.

AMP: unproven customer service. I also was interested in buying one of their products, 2 phonecalls and 4 emails, I recieved one random email reply which answered none of my questions.

I've owned my gravity dropper for almost 3 years and have never had an issue with it. I bought it used and they offerred to transfer the original warranty to me! Everytime I've called, Wayne has either answered the phone or returned my call within 5 minutes. Last year I sent it in while my bike was down for other reasons- a full overhaul including some new parts was only $15 and took 4 days door-to-door.

I can't believe people get hung up on the aesthetics of the boot, when the product and customer service are so good. It's a no brainer IMHO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, e-mail to AMP as a CS test got a no reply (after a few days). GD turbo is being ordered this week.
    Sure, the boot is silly looking. But, the simplicity, USA made, and fully backed w/ quality CS thing has got me again (damn, that sounds familiar)
    All about the ride

Surfin' da mountain
    I've seen the Crank Brothers and the Cobra i900 seatposts. They both have manual/local control. Does anyone make a dropper that fits a SPOT that doesn't have a remote control?

Team Sanchez
    I own both the GD(4 inch version) and an AMP (5 inch version). There are pros and cons to both. I prefer the AMP on my Highline just because of the 5 inch drop. I don't know about the CS with AMP, as I have not had to contact them yet, but as others have stated, GD is top notch.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Bodhisattva
    I have an AMP & GD.

My AMP had issues out of the box. They replaced it promptly and I'm satisfied.

I've had decent luck calling them - not as good with email.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Outcast
    FWIW, AMP has not committed to a release date yet for the 5 inch model to the general public [ El C excluded 'cause he's so potent], and GD is working on a 5 inch model, to be released in the next 12 months.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    GD is working on a 5 inch model, to be released in the next 12 months.
    Is it too late to request a 6 inch dropper?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The guy @ GD hit me back w/ email in <1 day. That is ridiculous CS. Even if I never need it I respect the effort they give (especially since I haven't bought anything yet)
    All about the ride

Lay off the Levers
    How long have we been waiting on a 5" model like 2 years?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    How long have we been waiting on a 5" model like 2 years?
    We'd have the 5" AMP by now if people would stop constantly emailing & calling Dan.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Yep. It's the Descender Post. It's basically the GD Turbo with a knob rather than a cable coming out.

I run one on my Sultan and it's great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I've had really good response from Dan at AMP when I've had an issue. I once emailed him at like 11 p.m. or something like that, and got an email back 10 minutes later...dude keeps some strange hours!

Been pretty satisfied with my 1"/4" post, had a few minor problems with creaking, but a rebuild by AMP seems to have taken care of it. Dan recommends using Finish Line Wet Lube (the crap that foams up) on the internals, but I haven't had good luck with that, starts to stick after about 3 rides, so I've gone back to using Slick Honey, works great.

I like the design on the Joplin/Maverick post, but it's got two things going on that I wasn't super crazy about. 1. You can pull the seat back up when it's in the down position, kind of weird to me. 2. The last one I saw was leaking oil, just what I need something more to leak! Otherwise I think the release lever is genious, totally cool to be able to move the lever in any direction to release your seat, and the action of the post is butter, not to mention you can drop it any where between full up and full down.

I like the GD a lot too, if I didn't have the AMP I'd probably have one of these, just wish the lever wasn't quite so coby!

My thoughts at any rate.

happy trails...

squish
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Never enough time to ride
    Crapola did it again, on the old man's computer again.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Dan at AMP told me that he has a day job; AMP manufacturing is something he does on the side, although he admitted this is about to change.

Might explain why he's not so easy to get a hold of during the day.

Larry tells me that I can expect my 1"/4" AMP post sometime after July 12th (I placed my order with Mountain High). Believable given that Dan told me he was having these made by an outside contractor so that they could get a bigger batch made more cost effectively.

I "nutted" myself getting behind the seat at the weekend, so I have to admit I'm more than ready to get my new crutch in the mail.
    Forward progress by Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    FWIW, AMP has not committed to a release date yet for the 5 inch model to the general public [ El C excluded 'cause he's so potent], and GD is working on a 5 inch model, to be released in the next 12 months.
    I was told by Wayne, a while back, that the 5in GD won't be available in 27.2mm. I hope that has changed, but don't know either way.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've been running my 4+1" gravity dropper with a QR seat collar recently. The 4" drop is perfect for %90 of the AM riding we do, there is one trail where I use the QR to drop it an extra inch, and that trail is double-black diamond steep. Adding a QR seemed redundant, but now that I have it I'm not too interested in a 5" drop post.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I've been running my 4+1" gravity dropper with a QR seat collar recently.
    That indeed is a great setup.
    Like you said, 4in is good most of the time, but the extra drop is nice on the more extreme terrain.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Cobra i900???

Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    I've seen the Crank Brothers and the Cobra i900 seatposts. They both have manual/local control. Does anyone make a dropper that fits a SPOT that doesn't have a remote control?

Where can I find good info on the Cobra post? The Pure website doesn't offer much!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Where can I find good info on the Cobra post? The Pure website doesn't offer much!
    They have ads on Decline mag. Not available until after Interbike. Only comes in 31.6 and 30.6 for now, so won't fit on Turners.

mtbr member
    I too was hoping for the joplin in a 27.2 for my sultan, I think I will get the 4" gravity dropper for the RFX

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    joplins come in a 30.9.... right? might be cool if more frame makers used a standard. sure would make life easyer for just about anyone with a vested interest in the bike industry. guess ya never know what these yahoos have up their sleeves for '09.

anyway, not that id want 1, just curious. i agree with squish/squash on his points. i tend to use my inner thighs to lift up on the seat and ya cant do that with this post. kinda a deal breaker for me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

bump and grind
    What about this...
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=275%20SETSD7

It vaguely resembles a joplin/speedball but is 1/10th the price! Most importantly, it comes in 27.2mm.

Any homers tried?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast