mtbr member

Vivid R2C tune for round tube DHR

I'm looking into changing the POS Fox dhx 5 on my 08 DHR and I currently have the possibility of getting a Vivid R2C for a good price.
    What would be the proper tune for it? The R2Cs now have high, low and medium tunes for each rebound and compression

aka DJ Papi
    This is an interesting thread as I too just acquired an 08 DHR with the old DHX5.0 which is really bashed up. I was thinking of changing this to the new RS Vivid R2C but got confused with the various tunes available. Then this thread came along...

Maybe DT can shed some suggestions here... cheers and Happy Easter everyone!!!

mtbr member
    Anybody???

Committed
    A MM tune should work just fine for the round tube.

~~~~~~~~
    medium/mid tune for the leverage ratio, I'd imagine you could dig up some info on Ride Monkey or contact Turner. I will say that on my 08 the difference between the vivid and dhx is very noticeable, the vivid is much firmer and heavier with that massive spring it needs. You can also switch out the vivid tune if you want to experiment. I would suggest picking up a vivid used cheap and sending it to PUSH for team rebuild, or send your dhx in. My dhx has a race PUSH tune and the vivid is stock, I don't like how firm the vivid is with the same spring weight as my dhx so I don't use it and haven't tried to source out a lighter spring or change the tune either. The overall weight of the vivid is a turn off too. I have a PUSH team tune vivid on my highline and it's been great.

mtbr member
    Thing is, it would cost me more to get the DHX modded/tuned than to get the Vivid right now. Money is tight so I need to go the more economical route.

The firmness you felt with the Vivivd, is it because you're using the wrong tune perhaps?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_jong_il View Post
    Thing is, it would cost me more to get the DHX modded/tuned than to get the Vivid right now. Money is tight so I need to go the more economical route.

The firmness you felt with the Vivivd, is it because you're using the wrong tune perhaps?
    It's a medium tune. The vivid is so heavy that I've never been motivated to work with it, a lighter spring would be my first try but no hurry. For reference though, stock dhx needed a 400lb spring versus stock vivid needed 350 on my highline. The stock vivid on the HL didn't last long before it was spewing oil when the eyelet end unthreaded off the shaft.

Not finding much discussion on the vivid, this had a little info Shock suggestion for DHR (are you ocelot?) I guess mine is an older 5.1
    so much personal preference comes into play also.

Heres another one with an A tune, my old/new DHR and a setup question
    Last edited by airwreck; 04-11-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Yay! Bikes !
    That's my black DHR in airwreck's 2nd link.

I had that old DHX rebuilt by PUSH and have almost a year on the shock now. The shock works incredibly well, I can't say enough for the results. What they did is not reversible as they did some machining to increase air chamber volume, and now its such a good match for that frame. I guess its what one of their guys did to his DHX as part of the tune when he was riding the same frame, and they did it for mine.

I have a Vivid RC2 which I did like but it doesn't equal the PUSH tuned shock. I believe it is a Low compression tune. After riding both I'd say save a few more bucks and go the tuned route, you won't regret it.

I'd love to try the new Vivid Air shock but I'm not sure it fits on this frame.
    Nick.