mtbr member

Visiting Phoenix and Sedona

I will be in Phoenix and Sedona at the end of January for work but I'll be looking to squeeze as much ride time as possible.

I won't be bringing my bike and will be looking to rent. Any bike shop recommendations? Obviously a DW link Spot or Sultan demo would be swell but I'll take anything reasonable.

Do any of you guys organize group rides I could tag along on? All these videos of South Mountain have made me very curious to check it out! I enjoy all sorts of riding, and while I don't get my wheels too far from the ground, I do like steep and chunky trails (for reference, Blue dot to Portal and Burro down are some of my favorite rides in Moab).

Also, if you have any recommendations on trails not to miss in Sedona, I'm all ears. I have never been there before and am looking to make the most out of the trip.

mr. wonderful
    We'll be glad to show you around. We always have something cookin' both days on all weekends. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll get you hooked up

Call Cactus Bike for the rental. They are close to SoMo and I think have a decent selection.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I know there's some semi-locals here, so I can only offer my impressions as a visitor.... but I've visited Sedona many times, it's actually near the top of my list of favorite riding destinations! I'm heading there in May this year.

Shops, I'd go with Bike&Bean. Great shop!
    There is also mountainbike heaven, but their vibe rubbed me the wrong way a few times.

Hangover currently looks like the hot trail in Sedona.

Most of the Sedona trails are pretty short, so I've had the best luck connecting 3-5 trails per ride. The guide books may not make this obvious. Here's a map that I found. Overall my favoritie riding was in the huckaby/munds/chickenhead point area.

Flagstaff is rad too, but totally different... much higher elevation so I think you'll find the best trails are under snow.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

Gotta love those well traveled PNW types ...

mtbr member
    I rented from cactus bike - it's 5 mins on the bike from there to the SoMo trail head. You'll love national trail. I was on a 5x5 which I thought was enough travel.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I will be in Phoenix and Sedona at the end of January for work but I'll be looking to squeeze as much ride time as possible.

I won't be bringing my bike and will be looking to rent. Any bike shop recommendations? Obviously a DW link Spot or Sultan demo would be swell but I'll take anything reasonable.

Do any of you guys organize group rides I could tag along on? All these videos of South Mountain have made me very curious to check it out! I enjoy all sorts of riding, and while I don't get my wheels too far from the ground, I do like steep and chunky trails (for reference, Blue dot to Portal and Burro down are some of my favorite rides in Moab).

Also, if you have any recommendations on trails not to miss in Sedona, I'm all ears. I have never been there before and am looking to make the most out of the trip.
    Pivot Cycles is in Phoenix, I'm sure you could set up a demo with them. There are a lot of great places to ride there. I'm a big fan of South Mountain. North Mountain is good too.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Knollician
    As dirtbag said, look us up, we can show you around
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member

Love Sedona

As was said many of the Sedona trails are short, but linking them together can produce at least 2 17-18 mile rides if I remember my math correctly. Bike and bean will really hook you up with there 3d diorama and cheap maps.
    One such ride starts at bike&bean and takes bell rock pathway through two short housing tacks, the last one starts on Broken arrow. Broken Arrow takes you up to Submarine rock and chicken point (or the paralell broken arrow trail if you've got some serious bike handling skills or don't mind pushing. taking the singletrack down from chicken point there is a hard to see turn off for the llama trail which is fantastic and takes you back to bell rock pathway. Then allmost strait accross the pathway is the entrance to a singletrack which winds it's way around to templeton trail going under the highway and ultimatly to Buda beach; you can take the verde valle school road back but backtracking to bell rock pathway and ultimatly the trailhead is my favorite way of doing it. That ride is somewhere around 17+ miles.
    Another starts from soldier pass and the main road at the whole foods store and comes back towards the village at of creek, acroos the bridge by thr brewery, turn left up the paved road to Huckaby, which has some tough waterbar climbs and decents with some rocky steps down to Oak creek at Bear Wallow Cyn. Stay on the trail until it dead ends and makes you cross the creek. If your're lucky there will be some planks but more often you;ll have to wade across the slimy boulders. After crossing the creek move up stream and across the canyon to a point upstream og Midgly Bridge seen high above. Climbe the moderat trail up to the bridge and turn away from the road. This trail skirts the edge of the wilderness and is a ton of fun. It can be taken back to soldier pass road or further to coffe pot rock and then take the road back to your car.
    There are more trails out there but I allways seem to choose those and then try a few other small ones if I have the energy.
    A cheaper (for the Sedona area) place to stay is the Kokapelli inn in the village at oak creek, walking distance from Bike & bean, Absolute Bikes and the trailhead. I think we've allways goten a double room for under $100 even at peak season.
    A few good places to eat are The Red Planet diner in Sedona on the main drag, The Brewery and the Sports bar (Sticks in the name) in the artists village. A fun weekend trip.