mtbr member

Which Vanilla Spring for me and my 5-Spot?

I am the proud new owner of 2004 5-Spot (got a good deal on a like-new frame on eBay, anodized black, Romic with titanium spring). Damn I love this bike! Anyways, I am getting a 130mm Vanilla fork and I'm guessing I need a new spring for it. I am a clyde at 210 w/o gear. Is it better to err on the clyde side and get the yellow spring (rated for 205-240 lb rider) or the green (180-210).... I like plushness.... I ride mostly XC, occasional trips to Downieville, etc but no serious drops (on purpose that is).
    Thanks, all.

I'm more of a dog person
    get the heavy spring, you'll have too much fork dive with the lighter spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just to keep the voting split, I'd go with the lighter spring. When I ran Vanilla forks, they always seemed a bit too harsh with the spring recommended by Fox.

Tune out excessive fork dive with a little low speed compression damping.

I wish I could get a Vanilla for my 29er!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

I'm more of a dog person
    nah, on the fox 32 130 series the lsc doesn't do jack sh!t for fork dive, much lees anything else. i say get the heavy spring and run the preload all the way out.

mtbr member

Re:

That sounds even better since this fork is a Vanilla RL, not the RLC.