mtbr member

the V3 RFX and climbing

Alright. I’ve had theV3 RFX for a good month now and have had it on most of the trails that I like to compare bikes on. It’s been on trail rides, 3000’ shuttle runs and dirt jumps. I’ve finally got it setup just how I want it after trying 3 different forks on it. An 07 Float 36, 06 66 ETA, and now the 06 Z1 light. I’ve established that this here cycle has just the right geo for big time versatility. In terms of cornering, climbing, jumping, etc it does all well.

It’s the climbing aspect that compels me to write about it today though. I think we all know that it handles great and was made lighter to be more capable at the AM thing.

I’ve got this trail that we use to access a really challenging descent strewn with sandstone shale chunks and is really narrow and twisty. The climb is one of those where you get in your head that this is absolutely not rideable and a lot of pushing is required. It is after all a hiking trail. I start in the 22/34, maybe 1 cog down and get on the nose of the saddle and pick away at the few sections that are rideable and try to make 100 feet at a time. There are 1’ tall rock ledges and buried log water bars that are fun to air if coming down this trail. When I approach each one I want to lunge at them but am usually spent by the time I make it there and meagerly get my front wheel up and spin out. I’ve tried this goddamn miserable climb on every bike I’ve owned and had the best luck on my 1995 Y22 that was 23lbs.I was an XC nazi back then and still only cleaned 70% of this mofo and went anaerobic 10 times. Since then I’ve been on long travel trail or freeride bikes and pretty much just push 50% of it and struggle the rest. I just take my time and rest up so I don’t get too sweaty so I can enjoy the gnarly DH on the backside.

This brings me to last night’s Black Diamond Wednesday night ride. I now have the travel adjustable fork and am ready to do battle. I’m looking foreword to seeing how much I can make but have no real expectations. With my Z1 light wound down to 130mm travel (ETA is useless on this climb). I start the punishment by trying the first moral busting move which is riding up 5 rocky cement stairs to access the trail. There is a tight bridge before the stairs so there is no way to get speed. I’ve never seen anyone make it up them before. I slam them and push. Whoa! I made it! V Dub and Scott try it 3 times each after seeing me pull it off with to avail. I’m wondering if it was luck or what. I look up the trail and it is loose rock and a rain rut in the middle with ice in it. Good luck pal. I get a good spin going and begin my attack. The RFX is in the granny and my hands are sorta low and the steering is quick. With the fork at 130 I’m still centered on the bike well enough to get even pressure on the tires to keep them from slipping without having to crouch too much. I make the first ledge step- sweet- keep going! I’m on this tiny strip of dirt trying not to touch the ice. Hitting rocks that are fist sized and trying not to shoot them out from under me as I creep up. I’ve made it up to the first switchback and pull that too! The other guys lights are already way down in the distance. Man I’ve been on my bike for about 4 minutes and am at max heartrate. Another seemingly impossible ledge goes under my tires and I’ve hit a new personal record. I sputter to a stop on the next one. I’m blown! I’m thinking about the BB height, seat tube angle, fork height, pivot location and am seeing stars. Have I found the ultimate rock crawling setup?
    After catching my breath I continue with the same luck. At the top as I unwind my fork I realize I made 90% of the Impossible Climb. There’s frozen frost on my goatee. I’m looking down in the city. The guys reach the top and are aghast at my achievement. I’m so amped I feel like I can conquer anything. We drop our seats and prepare for the Red Butte Rock Drop. V Dub’s behind me and that alone gets me amped since he’s the most talented rider I know. I usually walk this move and it’s nighttime. I two wheel slide in and thread the needle. It’s like riding through the jaws of a shark. I survive and V Dub is doing his sinister laugh that means he made it through something that scared even him. We’re down 100 feet below and see Scott come to a stop above it. He hikes up and gets ready. V Dub and I are silent- we know this could get ugly. Oh crap! He is flying upside down and his HID beam is spinning like a lighthouse tower. His RFX is cartwheeling. He’s moaning. I’m hiking back up. He’s holding his wrist but gets up and rides down. Bummer.

I’m really stoked that this here new RFX is just dialed for my kind of riding. Not sure but with the higher BB combined with the travel adjustable fork this model might even out climb a 5 Spot if it is extremely rocky even though it is heavier. Thanks DT

Since my Z1 is an 06 and the 07 doesn’t have travel adjust aside from ETA I would recommend the following 2007 forks for the V3 RFX :
    Zoke 66SL
    RS Lyric U turn or 2 step
    Fox 36 Talas

Enjoy the ride, Krispy
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the busy looking acessories-hey it's winter!
    Last edited by krispy@go-ride.com; 11-16-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Weapon of Choice
    Sounds awesome, could you post some pics of the uphill and downhill sections you speak off, curious to see this. Thanks

mtbr member

Ignitor?

Krispy,
    Great review! Sounds like a killer ride.

How are you liking that rear tire...Ignotor? I think. What size is it, and how does it perform?

Thanks,
    TG

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thanx krisp! ya gots me more excited about mine than ever. is it jan yet?? how about now? how about now?......

ps: hope scotts ok.
    pps: whats yer thoughts on the am 1 sl? seems a good match for the air rear. id dig hearin yer opinion.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I gotta get into shooting photos at night,since it's 50% of my riding right now.

It's an Ignitor 2.1 UST with a Maxxis strip and some Stans. It is pretty damn good. it's 70 duro so it slips a little but i really like the tread. it gets good traction up and down and rolls well. I run 30-32 PSI. I like UST casing in the back for extra protection from sidewall tears. I'll be swiching to a 2.3 paddle tire of some sort soon as snow is setting in.
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Yer gettin one? Retirin the 02? How will we recognise ya?
    Giant STP

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. its ordered. i knew as soon as i rode it the '02 was up for sale. if i coulda, id have taken home a demo but alas i was denied, bought chigs build kit, then the med demo became avail again. too late for me. whole bike only, no frame as a stand alone and no way to afford the entire shootin match. so ill continue to wait for my bronze beauty.

the SPaaNB is on the mtbr classys but its slow goin unless i wanna part it out. tell ya what pal, ill toss some blue on it so ya dont have to struggle to find my slow ass. that is if ya dont mind waitin up top for a spell.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Amphibious Technologies
    Dude, I don't wanna hear that.

I'm happy with my 6 Pack, I'm happy with my 6 Pack, (repeat 100X)....
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    ...Itís the climbing aspect that compels me to write about it today though. ...At the top as I unwind my fork I realize I made 90% of the Impossible Climb...
    ...OK, I'm calling BS on this one...as we all can see there is NO horst link on that bike. The climb you described would be IMPOSSIBLE to climb on a single pivot bike like your Kona

mtbr member
    It's only possible on a mostly active,not too active, not too semi active in the granny V3 RFX!!!

Actually DT bight be half brilliant half lucky that the pivot is where it is.The bb, being at 14.1, and the fact that the bike shares the 5 Spot rear forced him to move the pivot more rearward to get the CS length and tire/seatstay/upper yoke clearance. This gives the bike a slightly rearward inital wheelpath that gives the bike a hint of firmness in the granny that keeps the bike digging in and moving foreward without interfearing with fluid pedaling. IT ROCKS!
    Giant STP