Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    i want spring!
    Reputation: Dirty Bert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476

    Using Protection.

    Hi!

    Instead of addressing this somewhere else on the mtbr forums, i'm directing it to the Turner forum because all of you seem to be the most knowledgeable group.

    i'm looking for back protection. 5 weeks ago i broke 5 vertebrates in my lower back. i'm almost at the home stretch, where the brace is coming off and maybe i can return to a somewhat normal life and hopfully be riding my 5 Spot again by August.

    I see alot of brands that offer chest and back protection as a package deal but what has been a good reliable, breathable, brand that maybe some of you wear OR heard or saw people swear by.

    Thanks,
    dirty bert
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

  2. #2
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    wow, tough news bert. hope the recovery is full and soon.

    daniese shuttle jacket has a removable, articulated spine protector that might work. i think 661's does the same with their pressure suit. both are big and very plasticy so breathability may not be as much a option as not kilin yerself.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  3. #3
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,468
    My wife wears a super nice Dainese (not sure which model) she's worn the past 2 summers.

    Just this summer (after many years of flying without a net), I've been wearing the 661 Pressure suit Pro. It's similar in design and is pretty nice and comfy, but not as nice as the Dianese.......but also half the price. I've only got 7 days in the park on it so far, but it vents well and I ride with a camelback with no issues. If you were to look around, you could find one for $170'ish range.

    Cheers,
    EB

  4. #4
    i want spring!
    Reputation: Dirty Bert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    My wife wears a super nice Dainese (not sure which model) she's worn the past 2 summers.

    Just this summer (after many years of flying without a net), I've been wearing the 661 Pressure suit Pro. It's similar in design and is pretty nice and comfy, but not as nice as the Dianese.......but also half the price. I've only got 7 days in the park on it so far, but it vents well and I ride with a camelback with no issues. If you were to look around, you could find one for $170'ish range.

    Cheers,
    EB
    does the camelback make you like look a big hunchback? i'm just picturing this.

    my camelback, probably saved me from more serious spinal damage. where the camelback ended, is where i broke the bones.

    thanks.
    ~db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

  5. #5
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    does the camelback make you like look a big hunchback? i'm just picturing this.

    my camelback, probably saved me from more serious spinal damage. where the camelback ended, is where i broke the bones.

    thanks.
    ~db
    Ummmm, I wear my camelback over my armor (and jersey for that matter), so I don't think it makes me look like a hunchback.....rather it looks like I'm wearing a camelback. Both the 661 and the Dainese extend below the tailbone.....but nothing is guaranteed, eh?

    Frankly, I don't have any great shots, but here's my wife wearing her Dianese with her pack over it.


    And one of me.

  6. #6
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Dirty B - Firstly, positive vibes that you heal up 100%...

    I tried on most of the brands for armour... The Dainese was by far the most comfortable, by a large margin, the next best was the 661 Pressure suit.... I wore it for 6 days on the trot last year at Whistler, really comfortable.... I also wore it for multiple days in Andorra. Where by they will not let anyone ride with out a spine protector.....

    But back to the Dainese kit, the spine protector has CC mentions can be unzipped to run it on its own....

    They are far more expensive, but well worth it if you can afford it.

    Best of luck
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jon Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    439
    I did a fair amount of soft tissue damage to my back after a crash some years ago - now sorted thankfully. I very soon after bought a Dainese Safety Jacket, which has since seen some bloody hard use, and I suspect has saved a fair old bit of hospital time.

    Some thoughts.
    The full size jackets aren't something you want to climb very far in. Not comfort issues - just too hot. (DH, I completely forget I'm wearring it until I bounce off a tree)

    Try before you buy!!! Like helmets, sizing is everything.

    At the time the Dainese back board was MUCH longer than the equivalent 661 version, and could only be flexed one way. The new 661 Pro Shuttle suit seems to have this covered.

    Although you can unzip the back board (and kidney belt) you can't use it on its own (no shoulder straps. If you want a stand alone back protector, then try the snowboard or motorbike models.

    I recall someone did a hydration pack with built in spine armour. Could be worth a google. Can't remember who made it, but it was yellow and black?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    129

    take a look at motorcyle gear

    Congratulations on your recovery and continued healing. A former coworker who rides a motorcycle would slip a kind of lightweight back brace under her leather before riding off. Seemed like it was much smaller than the DH jackets and specifically focused on back protection. As such, you won't get any other protection, but you won't be loaded down either with padding you don't want. Take a look at motorcycle protective gear, in short.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    Hi!

    Instead of addressing this somewhere else on the mtbr forums, i'm directing it to the Turner forum because all of you seem to be the most knowledgeable group.

    i'm looking for back protection. 5 weeks ago i broke 5 vertebrates in my lower back. i'm almost at the home stretch, where the brace is coming off and maybe i can return to a somewhat normal life and hopfully be riding my 5 Spot again by August.

    I see alot of brands that offer chest and back protection as a package deal but what has been a good reliable, breathable, brand that maybe some of you wear OR heard or saw people swear by.

    Thanks,
    dirty bert

  9. #9
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,202
    Not a body suit, but a hydration pack that offers some decent protection.

    http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...tion&tert=race
    beaver hunt

  10. #10
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Not a body suit, but a hydration pack that offers some decent protection.

    http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...tion&tert=race


    yeah.. I think the deuter is the one that Jon Edwards was mentioning above...







    I hope your recover fast, Dirty Bert!

  11. #11
    i want spring!
    Reputation: Dirty Bert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476

    Thanks!

    Thanks everyone!

    my injury wasn't due to dh, it was because i lost traction climbing a hill and fell backwards on a fallen tree. sounds real stupid and embarassing but, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. wrong place at the wrong time.

    I'm going to look into the Deuter pack and try to find a local dealer and i will look into motorcycle protection. i just need something for peace of mind because i'm just paranoid.

    no offense to the hunchback comment. that bear in the pic looked 2 close.

    ~db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

  12. #12
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    i was beginnin to wonder if i was the onlt 1 who saw that. he looks big. and hungry.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,153
    Dirty Bert - heal fast (after 5 weeks sounds like you are - I was off for 6 months when I did my back)

    Something like the Dainese will help to an extent but will not make you invincible. I was wearing my safety jacket when I came down straight on my head which in turn compressed and fractured a bunch of stuff.


    And Eric, you look really furry in that picture. Pretty rude of you to turn your back to the camera as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    And one of me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •