Pedaler of dirt

Upgrade time, but what?

Help!

So I'm thinking of upgrading and replacing parts on the ol' sixpack and in order of preference I have...

I9 enduro or dt swiss 1750 replacing DT Swiss Onyx
    '08 55 ATA replacing '06 66
    hayes stroker replacing el camino
    '08 xtr cranks replacing '06

Does anyone see a problem with these selections or have better alternatives?

With the forks I'll change out the headset too, suggestions?

Am I getting to the point where I may be better off trading in the sixpack for a new rfx?

laters,

Marz

gravity curmudgeon
    Get XT cranks instead of XTR (it's a sixpack!)
    Use savings to Get Forumla brakes and I9 wheels ... drool!

No useful opinion on the fork...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    On the wheels I'll tell you that the 1750s are not all that exciting because they use the 340 hubs and those are not all that tough, definitely not 440 tough. You may be better served calling up Larry and have him lace you up a set of 440s laced up to 5.1ds with DT Aerolite spokes. You'll have a much better set of 1750s.

You may also consider getting a CK hub for the rear wheel, with fun bolts.

And you would be well served looking outside of the Hayes brand for your braking needs.

_MK

Pedaler of dirt
    Yea, I gotta admit the El Camino's sucked, but I've heard good things about the stroker and they're cheap (maybe that's a clue)

Also looking at Avid Code and The One.

Laters,

Marz

Code Burr
    Second custom wheels, DT rims, hadleys, kings, hopes.. Not sure I9's are 6pack tough. I'd avoid new marzocchi, they seem to have issues with ATA, PAR, all that. Maybe look into the new Magura line.

Did someone just get their tax refund?

mtbr member
    I just went with CK hubs/819s for my Spot and the fun bolts are great. The 440 hub is just about the same price as the King. I would look into the CK option

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    I just went with CK hubs/819s for my Spot and the fun bolts are great. The 440 hub is just about the same price as the King. I would look into the CK option
    Yeah, both are my favorites. CK wins in the engagement department. Both are highly and easily serviceable, the DT is quieter and spins smoother with less drag. The RWS skewers are also top notch.

I far prefer the 440 on the front to the CK.

_MK

mr. wonderful
    since you asked. . .
    CKs with fun bolts laced to Stan's Flows (by Dave Thomas at Speed Dream Wheels). Talk it over with Dave about the build. I did this build on my HL and they are working out great. He did a trick little one cross on my non-disc side of my front that both lightened and stiffened it, for example. I have 819s on CKs on my 6 Pack that will go to Dave for Flows once they completely die (which is soon).

Keep the 06 66 or pick up an 07 66SL for cheap because everybody is convinced that they suck. The early ones had a travel wind down problem that Rene solved. Mine has been stellar since the fix. I have a 66rc2x on my HL and I think the performance on 07 66SL is nearly as good (but with the added benefit of travel adjustment. Another option is to check fleabay for a guy who is dumping 06 150mm 66rc2xs for a very good price. If you don't care about adjusting your travel, I can't think of a better fork for the RFX. I would stay away from 08 Zocchi stuff.

Save some money and get yourselve some Formula K18s, or spend your money and get Formula Ones.

07 or 08 XT cranks are a great match for the RFX.

Rides Uphill Slow
    I just finished putting the final touches on my RFX. My vote would be for some Hadleys laced up to some Mavic 729. Burly but sweet. Ok well I do still have my CK laced up in the rear but I tell you what I'm lusting over a Hadley rear.

Oh if you are going to replace your cranks you might as well replace your cassette and chain too. Nothing like have a "new" drivetrain. Post pics once you decide and purchase.
    I'm here for the downhill

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    Yea, I gotta admit the El Camino's sucked, but I've heard good things about the stroker and they're cheap (maybe that's a clue)

Also looking at Avid Code and The One.
    Formule The ONES and cheap don't belong in the same sentence.

Replacing cranks is a waste of cash
    Life....the original terminal illness

trail fairy
    Like ya upgrade ideas!

Maybe stay away from the 55 at Mo (Im a Marz fan but am put off with there QC/CS at mo and I want coil in 160mm) 66Rc2X in 160mm travel around 5.3lbs I'd be into it..

Van 36 / Lyrik Uturn would be my choices at mo!
    Cranks like CD said go XT save $ spend elsewhere XT cranks look sweet the new 08s.
    Another option on brakes is the 08 Magura Louise they are a huge improvement over 07s have no fit issues on the bars like 07s did or earlier models!
    I like the Ones as CD suggested but seem over kill to me on the RFX and cost is outrageous, serious bling there's some good brake sets around now without going stupid $$ imo! esspecially for AM bikes!
    Im not a big fan of Hayes!

Even the new XT brakes would be a nice option and Im normally anti shimano, but they have responded well to the market in 08 and proves we can make a diff to companies if we take our $$ elsewhere! so ** to them for the comeback!

Def put those savings into the wheels! Are I9s really worth it! Im still not convinced I know theyre nice etc, couldn't justify it I'd rather build up another bike if I could ride.

Second Stans Flow Rims/DT spokes brass nipps! if light then ya could go lighter alloy nipps defeats the whole concept of AM bike to me though over a few grams.

Hubs
    Kings
    Hadleys'
    Hopes pro 2s
    I9's if u must

Ive had a great run with my Hadleys and they are my choice everytime now 10mm ta 20mm front ta plus the multi tool has a 10mm on it, plus cassette boys is Ti, they free wheel beautifully, 72pt eg whats not to like more cost effective than King and I9.

King fun bolts are 12mm so u will need another key for that, unless your MT is a biggie! but you also need to key from both sides to remove the wheel a pain on the trail, Hadleys 10mm very slick easy peasy.

If ya go King, get em fully serviced within 6months run em in with the factory grease they will drag some thats normal, they can go like that for years, but trust me do it early they will then run free after frist full service ya need Kings special tool for this, so go to a good LBS, then your whels will be sweet as, I miss my Kings they were great Hubs, but as said my Hadleys are awesome DH with XC weight bullet proof..

Cranks do fatique over time, depending on use type of riding so I don't think it too bad of an idea to update them, just go XT u won't be diapointed, XTR should stay on an XC bike only if ya a weight weanie, again so many good options why waste $$ and still looks great, I think theyre one of the better looking cranks around at the mo, and I love my RF Atlas/Deus so big call for me.

Show us pix when done, I eventually prob in 09 give my RFX the same treatment..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 05-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    I'd forget about the cranks and upgrade your brakes. Formula K-24's or MEGAs, or Louises, like TA sez.

But the new XTs are only fair. Wish I had my Louises back. No matter, I have some MEGAs on order.

And tires . . . get some new rubbah.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Replacing cranks is a waste of cash
    I would definitely get new cranks

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I would definitely get new cranks
    cranks are a crutch
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The Brakes: 'Da Ones'

[QUOTE=The Squeaky Wheel]Formule The ONES and cheap don't belong in the same sentence.

Squeaky are you French? "Formule"

They're not for-mule. They are FORMULA.

Marzjennings,

Specifically, The Ones are unreal. The modulation is better than any brake set that I have tried. (I've tried many of the usual suspects). The stopping power is quite prolific to the unth degree.

The weight is within a couple of grams of the K24's that they replaced. The K24's were the previous P.F. (personal favorite) brakes. I recommend F180/R160 for most people.

mtbr member
    Keep the 66, it should be just right for the pack. Sort of depends on the type ofriding you do, but the Avid Codes would likely be too much brake. I have them on my Highline and they are super touchy and will stop you on a dime, which is nice, but overkill for my pack and so I sport Hope m4's on it and am really happy except for a little squeal when wet.

I agree that it is a waste of money to go xtr cranks. Do you really need them anyway, your 06's should be fine?

I wish I had that kind of cash laying around.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Another option on brakes is the 08 Magura Louise they are a huge improvement over 07s have no fit issues on the bars like 07s did or earlier models!
    besides the improvements you mentioned, is the performance better?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    besides the improvements you mentioned, is the performance better?
    I haven't actually had any ride time on them, but Whafe bought his Nicolai buy few months back so I got to have a good look at them the fit and ergos were my big gripes for 07, never had any worries performance wise, feel mod etc, Ive had allot of brake sets and they would still be among my favs, 08s should only get better, and have reconfirmned me as a Magura man, the calipers have been improved as well as have the hoses fitting etc all to improve flow consistency feel and power, pad removal is same as Formula in 08 a major weakness in 07 as the dam allen key screw which retains the pads is so small and mine were so tight I had to drill mine out after butchering two allen keys which broke off trying to replace my pads last year doh!!

So they should add up, but even if they were the same I'd still upgrade mine for them, I was gonna look the K24s next time for something different and Ones for the DH but those plans are all history now, and 09 before I look at any bike stuff again other than my existing stuff and Ive sold a bit of stuff off, parts lying around forks wheels brakes DH bikes gone, my Codes which I loved I had these on my RFX for FR/mini DH but I still think the best brakes Ive had on the RFX for all types of riding I threw at her were the Maggis Louise, my Spot/RFX are bolted to the floor through the stands and staying put! I do change my my like the wind but, will stay the course, other bikes may come and go but unless I upgrade these with same, they will be there long time..

Dudes I think the gist of MJs upgrades are not nessecarily for performance or need its only my impress but I get the feeling he wants to refresh the RFX, sometimes better than getting a new bike, a make over can really bring back the love for a frame, esspecially if the geo is already sweet!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i dig my 340's but im not too big a guy nor do i drop off the top of the world all that often. squish is doin fne with his dt's and hes 220 lbs. although the engagement isnt up to speed with the king, it aint bad. if ya find a deal i say go for it. larry, chad, dave and the rest are top end builders.

not many good stories about the new zoch stuff out there. fox's are butter smooth.

ditch the hayes idea. poopy compared to almost anything in performance but they are dependable as hell. codes are a b52 strike in a schoolyard fight. louise are solid but if i was buyin, id go formula... one's if i was stinking rich. 18's or 24's are more my budget.

another vote for xt cranks. once ya burn through the stock rings and replace em with race face or blackspires, theyre flawless. nuthin sets up as easy and they dont cost 5 bills. as hookler said, be sure to do the chain and cassette too, maybe check yer pulleys. new and old drive bits are not pals.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mr. wonderful
    [QUOTE=trailadvent]
    King fun bolts are 12mm so u will need another key for that, unless your MT is a biggie! but you also need to key from both sides to remove the wheel a pain on the trail.[QUOTE]

Fun bolts use 8mm hex keys. Crank Bros. MT has an 8mm, don't know about others. And it's easy to pull the fun bolts with one key. First side's a no brainer. For the second side, I grab a fist full of spokes and the chainstay to compress the hub against the drop out. That way the hub doesn't turn with the hex key. Works easily both on and off.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Second custom wheels, DT rims, hadleys, kings, hopes.. Not sure I9's are 6pack tough. I'd avoid new marzocchi, they seem to have issues with ATA, PAR, all that. Maybe look into the new Magura line.

Did someone just get their tax refund?
    I wish, it's just everything is starting to look and feel a bit tired and I want that plush feeling again, like when the bike was new, but I really like how the frame rides and so don't want a whole new bike.

Laters,

Marz

trail fairy
    [quote=dirtbag][quote=trailadvent]
    King fun bolts are 12mm so u will need another key for that, unless your MT is a biggie! but you also need to key from both sides to remove the wheel a pain on the trail.

Fun bolts use 8mm hex keys. Crank Bros. MT has an 8mm, don't know about others. And it's easy to pull the fun bolts with one key. First side's a no brainer. For the second side, I grab a fist full of spokes and the chainstay to compress the hub against the drop out. That way the hub doesn't turn with the hex key. Works easily both on and off.
    Ahh shitz what drugs am I on apologies my bad, its been ahile since I had my kings Im thinking DH still, must be the knock to the head

U are correct, Hadleys are 6mm, King FB 8mm, I know its always a pain as Spotz is useless trail buddy with tools so I normally carry a special allen key size just for his Fun fricking bolts cause none of our multi tools fit!

Course I haven't ridden with him for ages now so Im off the hook, though he still has me working for him, Im trying to hook him up on some decent tires, atleast he has a Turner (Stealth black Spot)

Cheers for pulling me in DB

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs