mtbr member

Updated Turn RFX = Fun

After taking the Turner on a roadtrip through Sedona and Virgin last Dec., I was really jonesin' for a change. There we a few things bugging me about the RFX that had accidentally developed into full blown bikitis. I looked long and hard at some of the clearance frames that were going around in Jan but I decided instead to make a few updates to the RFX and God damn if it isn't the most perfect bike right now. I thought I'd share what I did in case anyone out there sitting on an RFX looking to do some updates:

Stock Monarch Plus - There is no better for this bike! I've tried stock VAN, RP23 (pushed), and MX Tune DHX. The Monarch Plus blows them all away is is the second lightest of the bunch. No need to Push this shock on the RFX. I highly recommend this upgrade. MM factory tune.

-1 deg Angleset, wide bar & short stem - This also made a huge difference. I didn't like it the floppy steering at first but once I switched from a 70mm to 50mm stem and super wide DH bar it all came together in a package that makes you feel like the hulk on descents.

Shock Bushings - I used a 3mm offset bushing on the bottom mount and a needle bearing on the top mount. I would have gone double offset to get the BB a little lower but having felt the improvement of the needle bearing on the previous shock I wasn't willing to give that up.

Chain Guide - Why didn't I do this sooner? Who knows, I had a big DeWheelie guide on the the bike originally but it weighed too much and was noisy so I went a couple years without one. I discovered the Stinger for $20 and it is a huge improvement.

Brakes - Not much to be said here except the new XT is hands down the best brakes I have ever ridden in every dept. (power, modulation, power/weight, silence). The Formula RX I had before will not be missed.

Push Ind. Pivot Bushings - No noticeable difference here but I thought the frame was due for some new hardware and they didn't cost much more than the Turner brand.

And that's it folks. I picked up a set of Fat Alberts to ride the loose Sierra dirt this summer. Looks like those might be going on sooner than I thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updated Turn RFX = Fun-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    What does the 3mm offset bushing do? Sounds interesting... I'm also looking to get an air shock for my RFX, the Monarch is high on my list too.

mtbr member
    the offset bushing reduces the effective eye to eye measurement on the shock. For the RFX this will drop the BB and slacken the HA (like if you were running more sag). How much differnce 3mm makes is up to the rider but for $20 you get a higher quality bushing with less friction. Two of them would make 6mm diff but I read a post where someone was getting tire-seatpost rub on full compression.

Here's the link to buy one:
    Offset Shock Bushings Mounting Hardware Mount Kit All Frames Proshox | eBay

mtbr member
    Thanks, you learn something new everyday Not sure if I need a slacker headangle with the 160mm TALAS I'm running on my 2001 RFX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm running a 3.0mm offset lower bush in my 05 Six Pack, it has lowered the bottom bracket height by 5/8" & slackened the head angle by about 1 degree, but the 2.4" maxxis ardent will ocasionally buzz the front mech cable & seat tube at max compression & if I reduced the eye to eye distance any further the seat stay bridg would hit the seat tube. A smaller tyre & a standard frame could get away with a slightly shorter eye to eye but my frame has had the seat tube replaced by Turner & is now a larger outside diameter (34.9) rather than the standard 31.8mm.

Team Blindspot

Love the RFX!

RFX on the Front Range ysterday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updated Turn RFX = Fun-rfx-hall-3-13-medium-.jpg  

Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are you using the standard "low" or high volume canister on the monarch plus? Nice upgrade.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Updated Turn RFX = Fun

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump View Post
    -1 deg Angleset, wide bar & short stem - This also made a huge difference. I didn't like it the floppy steering at first but once I switched from a 70mm to 50mm stem and super wide DH bar it all came together in a package that makes you feel like the hulk on descents.
    You can use an Angleset on a standard head tube? I thought those were only for tapered ht or 44mm ht...might be something I want to do on my El Terremoto. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

dog's best friend
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Yes, mine has a Works headset. Cane Creek wont fit traditional 34mm tubes

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Hey TPC, any issues getting your Works headset into your RFX and keeping the cups lined up? I have had a hard time getting it to go in without turning in the press, to the point I just gave up and took it out for now until I could approach it again calmly. Any tips would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump View Post
    Yes, mine has a Works headset. Cane Creek wont fit traditional 34mm tubes
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    I installed the Works with a homemade press (theaded shaft, derlin washers, nuts). I could see where a proper press which is designed with perpendicuar alignment to the headtube would cause install problems. See if you can get ahold of the instructions which show string alignment method for installation. It worked first try for me

mtbr member
    TPC,
    Did the bike originally have a 70 mm stem and you went down to 50 or did you have a longer stem on it first?

I'm running a 100 mm stem now, trying to choose between 70 or 60 mm stem.
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    JF,
    started with a 90, then 70 now 55 stem, each iteration with the bars getting wider, and now with a slacker front end. The RFX has evolved from a do-it-all well trail bike to more of downhill oriented bike with ability to get back up the mountain (albeit not the best configuration for climbing). If you do a ton of climbing the 90 might make you happier.

Wicketed
    Glad to see this thread again. When it was originally posted it inspired me to get my old frame out the loft and finally last weekend I built up my 05 6pack, and now have a couple of great rides on it. I've forgotten how well this thing can crawl its way up technical climbs!

My only problem is I'm only running a !40mm fork (Marz 44 RC3ti), and can't afford a new fork to balance it up a bit. Hence it is a bit low at the front on fast descents.

Twopumpchump - do you reckon offset bushings and maybe an angleset might help this problem? I'm not too bothered about lowering the bb height a fair amount as it it hovering around 14inches even with the 140mm fork....
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Swan, you can lower your sag 3-6mm to simulate what the offset bushings will do to the feel of the bike. This of course will make the bike much easier to bottom out than with the bushings but at lest you can get a feel on smooth surface.

I would imagine a -1deg headset would also counteract the effect of a steeper HA and shorter wheelbase from the 140mm fork, but now we're talking close to $100 investment vs. $20-$40 for the shock bushing.