mtbr member

Updated Pics & a Few Thoughts........

..........coming up to the three month mark on my 5S purchase. The season has actually been quite accomodating & I have seen quite a bit of decent riding (on a side note, I am getting on into SS'ing as of late & that has put a lil' damper on my 'fully trips....but..) So far I am without many complaints. I bought the Spot to be the do-all-end-all (save DH/ FR of course) & it has really lived up to the task. As I remarked initially, a fine climber indeed. I have also found it to corner exceptionally well in off camber-twitchy situations, as well as your typical high-speed/ low-traction zones. Overall a great handling bike. The large fits me just right & although the steep seat post still has me guessing some days with too much weight over the front (or so it seems to me as I like to 'rear-wheel' into most nasty stuff) I have mostly adjusted to it. Stickers have held up just fine & other than an initial concern, so has the finish.

I would also add that the Hope Mono Mini's have been a great setup on the 5S. They have worked great since the initial break-in, with scarcely a peep from them. They are very similar in feel to my Shimano XT's (which I like) & only exceed them in areas of finish & detail. I would definitely recommend the Hopes!!!

OK......just a couple pics (as I am dial-up at home & haven't the patience at the moment.) Perhaps I'll add more from work later in the week (with better light levels-cloudy here today)

My SS'r.......

Last edited by jncarpenter; 04-02-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Motion activated
    Very nice looking bikes . I've never seen black look so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Very nice looking bikes . I've never seen black look so good.
    ......thanks man! I do kinda have this thing for black bikes . I stripped down the hardrock & polished it, then clear-coated it. It did turn out nicely. Now it's silver & black, which I guess is OK (only because I am an Oak. Raiders fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

mtbr member

Asset/geometry problem

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ..........coming up to the three month mark on my 5S purchase. The large fits me just right & although the steep seat post still has me guessing some days with too much weight over the front (or so it seems to me as I like to 'rear-wheel' into most nasty stuff) I have mostly adjusted to it.
    I am having a similar prolem. The bike (medium) fits me fine but I am putting too much weight on the front. I can feel it in my hands at the end of a ride ... it is a major no-no-no because I am a pianist.

What have you done to "fix" it? I switched to a 100x15 stem, rised the handlebar bar, lowered and brought back the seat a bit, decreased a bit preload to try to stay more "seated" on the bike. Any other suggestions other than getting an even shorter stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I am having a similar prolem. The bike (medium) fits me fine but I am putting too much weight on the front. I can feel it in my hands at the end of a ride ... it is a major no-no-no because I am a pianist.

What have you done to "fix" it? I switched to a 100x15 stem, rised the handlebar bar, lowered and brought back the seat a bit, decreased a bit preload to try to stay more "seated" on the bike. Any other suggestions other than getting an even shorter stem?
    ..........well, I don't "feel" the weight (IE sore hands etc), but my front end feels harder to raise (less intuitive than I am accustomed). If I anticipate it, it's no real biggie, but if I need to get back in a hurry, it can be less than glorious;P I would suggest you try a setback post if not already. That coupled with the shorter stem would help. I just prefer to run the seat a little lower than usual, unless I am doing alot of climbing that day ( in which case I may need more weight forward).........

mtbr member
    ..........well, I don't "feel" the weight (IE sore hands etc), but my front end feels harder to raise (less intuitive than I am accustomed). If I anticipate it, it's no real biggie, but if I need to get back in a hurry, it can be less than glorious;P I would suggest you try a setback post if not already. That coupled with the shorter stem would help. I just prefer to run the seat a little lower than usual, unless I am doing alot of climbing that day ( in which case I may need more weight forward).........
    Strange, I do not have that problem, the bike comes up nicely. For my poor hands (I have a concert coming in a few weeks I need to solve this!!!) indeed I can still go to a 90cm stem, bring back the seat and if it does not work ... get a setback post ... how fun I wished I had more steerer tube left, probably rising the stem further would also help ...)

Lay off the Levers
    Hey JC, Y'kno those are some sweeet rides! I'm digging how you spec'd the Spot, looks mighty wicked.
    Every time I see a SS I think, these guys are just thumbing their noses at us: "Naaah you can't really ride, you need gears!"

What size rotor do you have up front on the 5er? BTW, by the looks of the trails you're on the EC? Mid-Atlantic?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hey JC, Y'kno those are some sweeet rides! I'm digging how you spec'd the Spot, looks mighty wicked.
    Every time I see a SS I think, these guys are just thumbing their noses at us: "Naaah you can't really ride, you need gears!"

What size rotor do you have up front on the 5er? BTW, by the looks of the trails you're on the EC? Mid-Atlantic?
    ........thanks for the kind words You should give the SS a go, it's all in the mentality of your approach. Obviously (from the build) I am not out there just hammering, but take a good deal of pleasure in "hurting" the trails right back

Rotor size = 180 mm

Currently reside in Lynchburg, VA (shot was out behind the house), bred, born & raised in VT!

dressed to play

That's the 2nd nicest black spot i've seen ;)

...... I do kinda have this thing for black bikes
    Bikes looking great, small detail i know but some black hope levers would look the nuts on there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Minis?

Mono Minis?
    Pah!

Mono M4 for the real man

Messing around, very nice bikes. I luuuurve that singlespeed. Absolutely gorgeous. And if you ever need black rotors Hope will anodise it any colour you want if you ask apparently. Apart from Gold, that is the preserve of surpemo downhilling British genius Mr. Steve Peat.