mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Unexpected releases of Shimano 959 much worse than 647 ?!

Hey guys,

A while back I noticed that I am getting much more unexpected releases from my Shimano 959 pedal than my wider-platform Shimano 647 pedal, for the same shoe, even when the tension is set much higher on the 959. As a result, I constantly use the wider 647 even though I feel very conmfortable on the smaller size of the 959. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Cleats wearing out?

There's a huge difference between a couple of pairs of my shoes just because one has much older cleats.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Hey guys,

A while back I noticed that I am getting much more unexpected releases from my Shimano 959 pedal than my wider-platform Shimano 647 pedal, for the same shoe, even when the tension is set much higher on the 959. As a result, I constantly use the wider 647 even though I feel very conmfortable on the smaller size of the 959. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!
    Been using them since they came out. I find it a rare occurance to have an unexpected release. I recentle a set of the DX pedals, same experience.

I agree, you most likely need to change your cleats.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Lay off the Levers
    Cleats? Tension? What's that? Some kind of geeked up alternative to flats?

Seriously though, It's been a long time since I used Shimanos (I ride Times) but I thought Shmons got harder to clip out as the cleats wore.
    Also check the pedal for rock damage. BTDT.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am talking about the same cleats on the same shoes giving me the much worse unexpected releases in the 959... even if the tension is much stronger in the 959 than the 647.

Any other ideas? Can it be the coating of the 959?

Yes, that's fonetic
    I am talking about the same cleats on the same shoes giving me the much worse unexpected releases in the 959... even if the tension is much stronger in the 959 than the 647.

You have single or multi release cleats? I accidentally got the multis once and I came out every time I tried to bunny hop even a curb.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    You have single or multi release cleats? I accidentally got the multis once and I came out every time I tried to bunny hop even a curb.
    You cannot use the multi release cleats with the 959's.

Is the 647 the same as the DX?? If so, I have no problems going between the two with the same set of shoe's/cleats.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Cleats? Tension? What's that? Some kind of geeked up alternative to flats?

but I thought Shmons got harder to clip out as the cleats wore.
    Shimano pedals do indeed get harder to get out of when the cleats wear...... I remember when the first Shim. clipless peds first came out that some guys were tearing the sole, with cleat still attached to pedal along with sole, out of their Shimano shoes.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Single release cleats. The 647 is the DX. I don't have a problem going between the two. The problem is that I get unexpected releases (say when dropping) much more frequently in the 959, even with the tension pretty strong. Does anyone here have a similar issue? Perhaps I just have a problem with my specific set of 959 pedals (algthough this happens on both sides, so its not a single bad pedal issue)

Cheers!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    sounds like a pedal/cleat/sole height issue to me. the cage on the 647 is higher reletive to the cleat, thusly makin contact and providing friction with the shoes sole. not so true with the non cage 959 so it doesnt hold onto the shoe providing way more unencombered float and subsiquent "early" release. what shoe are we talkin about here?

possible fix: shoes with a deeper cleat pocket or make sure ya dont have a shim under the cleat. thats a common mistake too.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks CC - that makes a lot of sense. The current shoe is a Specialized Trail 120, although I vaguely remember this issue on my previous shoes. No shim under the cleat, but maybe the height is all there is to it. I guess I can always try the Times if I want a smaller pedal that is technical worthy - seems to get a lot of respect here (I remember Tscheezy and BZ really liking it).

... I guess you won't be
    CC nailed it - which is why if you use those clippy-shoes, you really should consider using only one type of pedal.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Fragile
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    You cannot use the multi release cleats with the 959's.
    What do you mean by this? I have used the multi-release cleats with my 959 and my XTR pedals for the past year.

I hated them, because of unexpected release issues, but they worked as advertised. Back on the single release, and things are much better!
    "It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"

-- Judge Smails

PSI
    I want that one

what kinda shoes you ride?

from my experience clipless platform pedals hold on to the cleats harder vs. xc pedals because the platform is pressed against the sole. one way to cure it is to ride the 959 with xc shoes which have a thinner and harder sole.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    amazin insight!
    No, I'm NOT back!