Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Understanding the kind of rider you are....and building your bike

I am a cross country rider. I find obstacles, ladders, and the like boring. I want to get out and ride long rides with climbs and careful descents. I enjoy the fitness and scenery aspects of mountain biking more than speed and subsequent rush associated with it. Maybe it is age? But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks. Too big a hammer for my nail. Nonetheless, I like upgrades but sometimes an upgrade is a downgrade when you don't understand what you like and what you need for your riding style.

Signed,

No interest in the drops at Whistler or Maob or my local trails.

banned
    Jaybo comes to Jesus? whodathunkit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's all good! But if I could only have one kind of mountain biking, it would be exactly what you described (but still fast on the downs).

Luckily, we can have it all, so I just go ahead and take a helping of everything!
    Whining is not a strategy.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I am a cross country rider. I find obstacles, ladders, and the like boring. I want to get out and ride long rides with climbs and careful descents. I enjoy the fitness and scenery aspects of mountain biking more than speed and subsequent rush associated with it. Maybe it is age? But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks. Too big a hammer for my nail. Nonetheless, I like upgrades but sometimes an upgrade is a downgrade when you don't understand what you like and what you need for your riding style.

Signed,

No interest in the drops at Whistler or Maob or my local trails.
    No problem as long as your cycling wardrobe is in sync with your riding style.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks.
    Didn't you just trade your Revelation in for a Pike?

Are you saying you didn't like it?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Bite Me.
    The older I get, the faster I go. Sometimes your bike can open up new types of riding you didn't know you had in you. Call it evolution or devolution, but I've moved away from the pure XC hardtail super lightweight type of rider to one who has discovered the joys of a ragged on the edge descents over some obstacles I never would have dreamed of trying just a few short years ago. There's no right or wrong here, but I found an "upgrade" to a more capable bike made riding all the more fun. Kind of like abandoning the Alpine skis and reverting to free-heel tele gear. It's all good.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I like to go real fast down hills, and jump off of, onto, over, under and any other prepositional arrangement you can think of involving some kind of rock, jump, drop, log, or ladder. I also don't like heavy bikes.... Where does that leave me?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    No problem as long as your cycling wardrobe is in sync with your riding style.
    I agree Andy. This is how I role. Scoping the new line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    I like to go real fast down hills, and jump off of, onto, over, under and any other prepositional arrangement you can think of involving some kind of rock, jump, drop, log, or ladder. I also don't like heavy bikes.... Where does that leave me?
    Probably in the ER, but more devastatingly on Gonzo's scorn list.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I agree Andy. This is how I role. Scoping the new line.
    That's hot!
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Ouch! But more importantly, can someone recommend what pair of pants would be best for a Highline?

Bodhisattva
    I'm an All-Mountain rider.
    I just didn't know it until the new forum was created. Thank goodness for MTBR
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I hear ya, Squeak. thank god MTBR.com can give me purpose and an identity!

banned
    sir miles, I have no such "list".

but you give me a good idea, thanks!

gravity curmudgeon
    Match the gear to the need.
    I agree completely.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The older I get, the faster I go. Sometimes your bike can open up new types of riding you didn't know you had in you. Call it evolution or devolution, but I've moved away from the pure XC hardtail super lightweight type of rider to one who has discovered the joys of a ragged on the edge descents over some obstacles I never would have dreamed of trying just a few short years ago. There's no right or wrong here, but I found an "upgrade" to a more capable bike made riding all the more fun. Kind of like abandoning the Alpine skis and reverting to free-heel tele gear. It's all good.
    Cutty, you had me in agreement until you mentioned that absurd proposition of flailing down a hill known as "soul skiing" or "hippie stupidity" or "Boulder Poseur Style".

Teleweenies like to say "free the heel, free the mind."

to them I reply,

"fix the heel, fix the problem."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Ouch! But more importantly, can someone recommend what pair of pants would be best for a Highline?
    they're in the picture above. you know, the Euro-Beach Banana Hammock. see El Chingon's posted picture.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Too big a hammer for my nail.
    hhhhmmmmm . . . Might I suggest that discussion of one's "nail" and the correspondingly appropriate sized "hammer" be left off of the mtbr boards.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    they're in the picture above. you know, the Euro-Beach Banana Hammock. see El Chingon's posted picture.

cool... those should look good as i ride my highline built up with a rockshox sid, triple rings, crossmax sl, 1.75" tires, and 6000mm seat post/gravity dropper!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im using my Flux for freeriding. Just to piss all you off who helped my pick it out. And Im doing so in spandex, with my Gerolsteiner roadie jersey (Postie stuff is sooooo out of style) and none of that armor ********.

DT..watch out...one Flux frame broken in half coming your way. I better get a new one and right-quick...or Im going "Dusty Bottoms" on you.

OK...Im kidding...I swear. Really. Just ask Zilla.....I was too much of a puss to handle a simple log ride last weekend.

Bite Me.
    Cutty, you had me in agreement until you mentioned that absurd proposition of flailing down a hill known as "soul skiing" or "hippie stupidity" or "Boulder Poseur Style".
    Once a poseur snob, always a poseur snob - it's cross training in poseursnobdomism
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Once a poseur snob, always a poseur snob - it's cross training in poseursnobdomism
    the real snob can descend without any attachment between boot and ski... while standing on the skis and making turns.

or so the freeheelers tell me.

mtbr member

Wow...

I'm just the opposite. The older I get, the less I want 3-4 hour rides, unless I'm getting my ass dragged up the mountain by a gondola or similar motorized transport. I respect your desire to grind out the miles, but the more I bike, the more I want to do on a bike, more drops, more jumps, more rocks, more trees, more speed....someone stop me......more travel, more weight, more beer, more adrenaline,....help....more...money....

I just can't help myself, but I got bit by the free-ride/DH bug a few years back, and have seen my XC riding slowly fall off the map. Oh, I'll still ride around a standard loop I have, but I'm looking around for rocks to huck off, or areas that I could make more difficult.

Its all good though, to each his own...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Ditto me Jaybo. I use up my Spot's travel with technical stuff on the trail more so than with drops.
    That said I'm going on a company trip to Whistler in July. I don't really have much choice but to ride now do I? What's my other option, take up golf?

LMAO - Those speedo shots just aren't going to die, are they?
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

gravity curmudgeon
    I looked out the window the other day and noticed that there are nearby big mountains in every direction from here (360). At that moment I finally understood what all-mountain meant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

banned
    Most people that think they're "AM" or "light FR" are really just XC guys that might go over rocks and roots. I never can understand this culture of people that pick a category bigger than their actual riding, then they drop it down to fit them. What's wrong with saying what you do, then building it up? Like I do heavy duty XC, thus my love for the 6.2 pound Burner.

The moment an obstacle comes an XCer's way, such as a root or a rock, the riders around here all of a sudden become "freeriders".
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 05-24-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Most people that think they're "AM" or "light FR" are really just XC guys that might go over rocks and roots. I never can understand this culture of people that pick a category bigger than their actual riding, then they drop it down to fit them. What's wrong with saying what you do, then building it up? Like I do heavy duty XC, thus my love for the 6.2 pound Burner.

The moment an obstacle comes an XCer's way, such as a root or a rock, the riders around here all of a sudden because "freeriders".
    thus revealing the deep insecurity of the XC riding crowd, who feel left out of the "Freeride Movement."

I would urge all those insecure dipschitts to spend a few years ignoring their HRM and leg shave demons, and crashing hard on nasty terrain. they will cease their posing pretty quickly.

banned
    well said.....

and if my penis was smaller I would buy a Turner

banned
    HRMs are for posers anyway, unless they have GPS as well, but not the bar mounted kind, those are weak

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockquaholic
    well said.....

Even though the standover is great for those with big wangs. You know how standover isn't important and all.

Work Shed...
    What exactly is the difference between "all mountain" and xc? If while on a 35mile XC ride, a 3 foot waterbar comes along that you launch at speed on a hardtail: Are you XC on the way up the mountain, XC coming down the mountain, and "all mountain" for the half second you are in the air? I don't get it..
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

banned
    HRMs are for posers anyway, unless they have GPS as well, but not the bar mounted kind, those are weak
    I ride with a Blackberry continually connected, it's got GPS, cell phone service, e-mail capacity and video screen remote mounted on the handlebar so I can watch motivational videos and pictures while trying to shave my legs and monitor my heart rate while hauling no arse along a rail-to-trail. but man, my bike is BLING!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootberry
    What exactly is the difference between "all mountain" and xc? If while on a 35mile XC ride, a 3 foot waterbar comes along that you launch at speed on a hardtail: Are you XC on the way up the mountain, XC coming down the mountain, and "all mountain" for the half second you are in the air? I don't get it..
    quick and dirty:

"All Mountain" means you ride XC but are jealous of those folks who never ride uphill, so you get an underbuilt longer-travel bike to ride on smooth trails while wearing body armor and talking about your latest huck... which was a curb drop, but you don't tell your All Mountain friends that bit of PinkBike reality.

banned
    Even better, what's the difference between a "trail bike" and an AM rig? Is it possible an AM rig is a trailbike that's been around forever?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowDawg
    I looked out the window the other day and noticed that there are nearby big mountains in every direction from here (360). At that moment I finally understood what all-mountain meant.
    you are ready for the outside world, grasshopper. you have learned well.

(synonym: "freeskiing" gomers who ride the blue groomers all day on 100+ mm waisted skis)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Even better, what's the difference between a "trail bike" and an AM rig? Is it possible an AM rig is a trailbike that's been around forever?
    the only real All Mountain bike is one that Richard Cunningham has labelled as such in a print edition of Mountain Bike Action.

banned
    well said.....

and wear the Banana Hammock model of Homer Nation-approved "freeride pants"

banned
    here's a priceless insight from a new-born "freerider" who recently posted a review on his Fox Vanilla 130 RLC...

well.. it was a great fork for about 10 months and i bought it thinking all mountain and light freeride was as extreme as i was gonna get, but i got bored of that and started freeriding. Bad decision with a fork like this, it's good for occasional drops here and there and will do good for dirt jumping, but freeriding,,,NO. i got this fork cause when i was looking for forks i was a weight weenie and that decision has come back and slapped me in the face, i could have got a 150mm or 170mm travel but i was worried about that extra pound or 2 and thought i would need that much but now my fork stanchion is loose inside the crown and creaks and wiggles around, very nerve racking and right now it's not to bad i can still ride with it but if i keep riding like this for 1 more month it will bust, so i'm gonna send it in, I would give it a 4 but i know i should have not expected so much from a light weight fork.. that was my bad soo yeah, DON"T FREERIDE WITH IT and when i go to whistler with it fixed i'm really gonna hope it doesn't break again.
    you can smell and see the sheer insecurity. note the "I used to be a weight weenie" comment and the bragging on going to Whistler.

the maroon doesn't realize that Brian Lopes can ride ubergnar on a 100mm travel Float with QR axle, so it's clearly not the fork.

banned
    I ride with a Blackberry continually connected, it's got GPS, cell phone service, e-mail capacity and video screen remote mounted on the handlebar so I can watch motivational videos and pictures while trying to shave my legs and monitor my heart rate while hauling no arse along a rail-to-trail. but man, my bike is BLING!
    that is definitely the bomb! on a serious, but lame note, some of our local parks/riding areas are now advertising wireless internet capability throughout the park......

banned
    here's a priceless insight from a new-born "freerider" who recently posted a review on his Fox Vanilla 130 RLC...

you can smell and see the sheer insecurity. note the "I used to be a weight weenie" comment and the bragging on going to Whistler.

the maroon doesn't realize that Brian Lopes can ride ubergnar on a 100mm travel Float with QR axle, so it's clearly not the fork.
    Don't worry about him. Natural Selection is at work and will make things better for the rest of us.

"Light Freerider" is a wonderful term. As I've seen so far, anyone describing themselves as a "LFr" rides an XC rig and might go through a rockgarden. Really, you don't know how much air riding over a babyhead can get you.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    ok gonz - don't be gentle - what do you think of this review?

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gearshots21_04_06.php

Just roll it......
    Good for you, Jaybo....

I think it's real easy to get caught up in the arms race and feel like you have to upgrade your bike with the latest/greatest components every year. That's even multiplied if you hang out with the serious UGI crowd here on the forums. Truth is, the vast majority of the people on this forum don't ride with you, don't know your taste in trails, riding style, preference in bike setup and your skill level, so do what you think is right for your bike and your riding style. No need to apologize or ponder the why's and what fors....

The folks on this particular forum offer the best technical product info. and the characters are second to none.....(hence my lurking), but I'd say I ride different terrain than a lot of folks. As a result, I take all of the great advice/info. and apply it to myself. For instance, I put zero gucc stuff like carbon parts or xtr on my bikes (just broke another LX rear der. last week), but love reading about the latest frankenshock setups or the rampant 66SL purchases amongst this crew. My 4" travel xc bike likely weighs what a lot of 6 packs in here are built at (33.5 lbs.) and I ride with parts that I can get easy replacements on during roadtrips, etc. I'm not saying that as a "chest thumping" machismo sort of thing - rather I know what does / doesn't work for me and I roll with it.

On the other hand, I don't call anyone out that's rolling with I9 wheels, carbon parts or the latest shocks/forks on their 6 packs or Spots (gotta leave something for Gonz to comment on). If someone has the dough and the interest in lightening up their bike or building it up ultra bling, go for it. It's not my thing, but to each their own.

If keeping your spot as a lighter rig works for you, go for it. If you're not launching every drop on Syncline or hitting the big drops at Post Canyon, why tack on unnecessary weight, etc.....you know better than anyone if you're pushing your current setup. If you're not, then why build it burlier? Keep it as is and have a great summer of riding!

cheers,
    ebx

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Deal fell through

Didn't you just trade your Revelation in for a Pike?

Are you saying you didn't like it?
    It is a long story but I'm glad it fell through....guy sent cashier's check back.

Jaybo

PS Who overfed Gonzo. He is like a wildman today...eyes are probably red and dialated...

What the heck are I-9 wheels?
    Last edited by Jaybo; 05-24-2006 at 06:35 PM.

on a routine expedition
    Oh man, I hope Nike brings this technology to their MTB shoes:

LINKY

Roy
    mtbr member
    And if your penis was smaller, Foshizz would need tweasers to get it out the next time you 2 get together for some wank-provocation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thus revealing the deep insecurity of the XC riding crowd, who feel left out of the "Freeride Movement."

I would urge all those insecure dipschitts to spend a few years ignoring their HRM and leg shave demons, and crashing hard on nasty terrain. they will cease their posing pretty quickly.
    Posing? Excuse me? There are no greater bunch of "posers" that the fools on their fifty feet of travel bikes sitting around the base lodges of ski resorts and other "freeride" places around the country, adjusting their saddles solely so they can sit on the bike's saddle with only one leg on the pavement.....wearing denim pants and their hats sideways while sipping a Red Bull and trying to imitate Voreis' accent. Or.....how about those who actually get out and ride for fifteen minutes out of a five hour trip to Mountain Creek, go down, and spend the next three weeks showing off their "aggro wounds" to anyone in a five mile radius?

At least us "XC"ers WANT TO AND CAN GET our heart rate above resting and dont avoid sweat for fear it will ward off the chicks at the snack bar.

I bought an XC bike. Love it and ride it on some pretty tough terrain...sometimes I want more travel...most of the times I dont. Oh...and Im trying more "aggro" stuff these days. Some log rides and small jumps. And get this....for the last three days Ive done this ON MY OWN...with nobody around to "spectate." So does that make me a "poser" or a "wanna-be?"...or an I just "jealous"? Funny...I call it "HAVING FUN."
    Last edited by Rouleur321; 05-24-2006 at 10:02 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    ok gonz - don't be gentle - what do you think of this review?

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gearshots21_04_06.php
    oi, Lee, it's good so far. let me know when you report back with more mileage info. I read it when you first posted it.

NSMB generally has solid, sturdy reviews. Yours is no exception.

banned
    Hey ST,

Don't forget to mention those dirtjump guys that prefer to masquerade themselves as freeriders, then flame the guys that really go big and don't advertise. Seems they're just interested in advertising how big they go to make up for the lack of ability to communicate, me thinks.

C'mon!!! What's wrong with polishing off a ride at Blue by eating four spicy chicken slices from that pizzeria in town?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    And if your penis was smaller, Foshizz would need tweasers to get it out the next time you 2 get together for some wank-provocation.
    zircon encrusted ones, no doubt.

(gimme your lighter. lemme sterilize 'em)

couldn't say where she's comin' from but I just met a lady named Dinah-Moe Humm.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Posing? Excuse me? There are no greater bunch of "posers" that the fools on their fifty feet of travel bikes sitting around the base lodges of ski resorts and other "freeride" places around the country, adjusting their saddles solely so they can sit on the bike's saddle with only one leg on the pavement.....wearing denim pants and their hats sideways while sipping a Red Bull and trying to imitate Voreis' accent. Or.....how about those who actually get out and ride for fifteen minutes out of a five hour trip to Mountain Creek, go down, and spend the next three weeks showing off their "aggro wounds" to anyone in a five mile radius?

At least us "XC"ers WANT TO AND CAN GET our heart rate above resting and dont avoid sweat for fear it will ward off the chicks at the snack bar.

I bought an XC bike. Love it ride it...sometimes want more...most of the times dont. Oh...and Im trying more "aggro" stuff these days. Does that make me a "poser" or a "wanna-be?"...or an I just "jealous"? Funny...I call it "HAVING FUN"
    I see I touched a nerve or maybe 1,000,000 of them.

so sorry to upset your false reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast