Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Understanding the kind of rider you are....and building your bike

I am a cross country rider. I find obstacles, ladders, and the like boring. I want to get out and ride long rides with climbs and careful descents. I enjoy the fitness and scenery aspects of mountain biking more than speed and subsequent rush associated with it. Maybe it is age? But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks. Too big a hammer for my nail. Nonetheless, I like upgrades but sometimes an upgrade is a downgrade when you don't understand what you like and what you need for your riding style.

Signed,

No interest in the drops at Whistler or Maob or my local trails.

banned
    Jaybo comes to Jesus? whodathunkit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's all good! But if I could only have one kind of mountain biking, it would be exactly what you described (but still fast on the downs).

Luckily, we can have it all, so I just go ahead and take a helping of everything!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I am a cross country rider. I find obstacles, ladders, and the like boring. I want to get out and ride long rides with climbs and careful descents. I enjoy the fitness and scenery aspects of mountain biking more than speed and subsequent rush associated with it. Maybe it is age? But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks. Too big a hammer for my nail. Nonetheless, I like upgrades but sometimes an upgrade is a downgrade when you don't understand what you like and what you need for your riding style.

Signed,

No interest in the drops at Whistler or Maob or my local trails.
    No problem as long as your cycling wardrobe is in sync with your riding style.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    But, my Spot built up with a Revelation and light parts works for me. I don't need a Marzocchi AM fork or other big hit forks.
    Didn't you just trade your Revelation in for a Pike?

Are you saying you didn't like it?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Bite Me.
    The older I get, the faster I go. Sometimes your bike can open up new types of riding you didn't know you had in you. Call it evolution or devolution, but I've moved away from the pure XC hardtail super lightweight type of rider to one who has discovered the joys of a ragged on the edge descents over some obstacles I never would have dreamed of trying just a few short years ago. There's no right or wrong here, but I found an "upgrade" to a more capable bike made riding all the more fun. Kind of like abandoning the Alpine skis and reverting to free-heel tele gear. It's all good.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I like to go real fast down hills, and jump off of, onto, over, under and any other prepositional arrangement you can think of involving some kind of rock, jump, drop, log, or ladder. I also don't like heavy bikes.... Where does that leave me?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    No problem as long as your cycling wardrobe is in sync with your riding style.
    I agree Andy. This is how I role. Scoping the new line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    I like to go real fast down hills, and jump off of, onto, over, under and any other prepositional arrangement you can think of involving some kind of rock, jump, drop, log, or ladder. I also don't like heavy bikes.... Where does that leave me?
    Probably in the ER, but more devastatingly on Gonzo's scorn list.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I agree Andy. This is how I role. Scoping the new line.
    That's hot!
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Ouch! But more importantly, can someone recommend what pair of pants would be best for a Highline?

Bodhisattva
    I'm an All-Mountain rider.
    I just didn't know it until the new forum was created. Thank goodness for MTBR
    Life....the original terminal illness

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I hear ya, Squeak. thank god MTBR.com can give me purpose and an identity!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    sir miles, I have no such "list".

but you give me a good idea, thanks!

gravity curmudgeon
    Match the gear to the need.
    I agree completely.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The older I get, the faster I go. Sometimes your bike can open up new types of riding you didn't know you had in you. Call it evolution or devolution, but I've moved away from the pure XC hardtail super lightweight type of rider to one who has discovered the joys of a ragged on the edge descents over some obstacles I never would have dreamed of trying just a few short years ago. There's no right or wrong here, but I found an "upgrade" to a more capable bike made riding all the more fun. Kind of like abandoning the Alpine skis and reverting to free-heel tele gear. It's all good.
    Cutty, you had me in agreement until you mentioned that absurd proposition of flailing down a hill known as "soul skiing" or "hippie stupidity" or "Boulder Poseur Style".

Teleweenies like to say "free the heel, free the mind."

to them I reply,

"fix the heel, fix the problem."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Ouch! But more importantly, can someone recommend what pair of pants would be best for a Highline?
    they're in the picture above. you know, the Euro-Beach Banana Hammock. see El Chingon's posted picture.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Too big a hammer for my nail.
    hhhhmmmmm . . . Might I suggest that discussion of one's "nail" and the correspondingly appropriate sized "hammer" be left off of the mtbr boards.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    they're in the picture above. you know, the Euro-Beach Banana Hammock. see El Chingon's posted picture.

cool... those should look good as i ride my highline built up with a rockshox sid, triple rings, crossmax sl, 1.75" tires, and 6000mm seat post/gravity dropper!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im using my Flux for freeriding. Just to piss all you off who helped my pick it out. And Im doing so in spandex, with my Gerolsteiner roadie jersey (Postie stuff is sooooo out of style) and none of that armor ********.

DT..watch out...one Flux frame broken in half coming your way. I better get a new one and right-quick...or Im going "Dusty Bottoms" on you.

OK...Im kidding...I swear. Really. Just ask Zilla.....I was too much of a puss to handle a simple log ride last weekend.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Cutty, you had me in agreement until you mentioned that absurd proposition of flailing down a hill known as "soul skiing" or "hippie stupidity" or "Boulder Poseur Style".
    Once a poseur snob, always a poseur snob - it's cross training in poseursnobdomism
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Once a poseur snob, always a poseur snob - it's cross training in poseursnobdomism
    the real snob can descend without any attachment between boot and ski... while standing on the skis and making turns.

or so the freeheelers tell me.

mtbr member

Wow...

I'm just the opposite. The older I get, the less I want 3-4 hour rides, unless I'm getting my ass dragged up the mountain by a gondola or similar motorized transport. I respect your desire to grind out the miles, but the more I bike, the more I want to do on a bike, more drops, more jumps, more rocks, more trees, more speed....someone stop me......more travel, more weight, more beer, more adrenaline,....help....more...money....

I just can't help myself, but I got bit by the free-ride/DH bug a few years back, and have seen my XC riding slowly fall off the map. Oh, I'll still ride around a standard loop I have, but I'm looking around for rocks to huck off, or areas that I could make more difficult.

Its all good though, to each his own...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Ditto me Jaybo. I use up my Spot's travel with technical stuff on the trail more so than with drops.
    That said I'm going on a company trip to Whistler in July. I don't really have much choice but to ride now do I? What's my other option, take up golf?

LMAO - Those speedo shots just aren't going to die, are they?
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

gravity curmudgeon
    I looked out the window the other day and noticed that there are nearby big mountains in every direction from here (360). At that moment I finally understood what all-mountain meant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast