mtbr member
    Oct 2008

uncertain of next purchase

Hey all,

I have an 09 DW Spot, that I love, and a dedicated downhill race bike. Is there a reason to get an in between bike? Am I missing anything by not having an RFX or similar bike? I have the chance to purchase a mint one for an incredible price but am having a hard justifying the cost. I have a choice of a 140 mm Fox Float fork or a travel adjust Rock Shock air Lyric on my Spot. I think have most of my bases covered. What do you guys think? I live in city that has fairly hard packed trails and I have access to real mountains in only about three hours as well, both "all mountain" to shuttle only trails, thus the DH sled. I got approval from the boss (wife) to buy this other bike, but I don't know if it is guilt or just practicality and lack of space creating doubt.

Team Sanchez
    I say why bother. The DW Spot plus DH bike makes for the perfect arsenal. If anything, sell your DH sled and get a DW DHR when they become available. You will then feel complete.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually, my DH machine is the other Dave Weagle designed suspension, an Evil Revolt and don't plan on selling that soon!

Team Sanchez
    Very nice. I curently have a 5-pack and Highline. Since moving to Northern Utah, I have to admit that I've had thoughts of selling the Highline to purchase a DW DHR. Weekdays riding the Spot on the Ridge Trail, and weekends at Deer Valley on the DHR. Can you imagine how much hate I could evoke by putting a Hammerschmidt on a DHR?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hmmm....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I say no. I've got a dw spot and a Rotec rl9. I bought a Highline when they were blowing them out and never really used it. I love the idea of a third bike but I know i just would not use it.

Although, if you have money to blow......that's always fun too.

mtbr member
    Go for a rigid bike without suspension. That will teach you the basics of riding Seriously, I bought a Rocky Mountain Blizzard a while back and it brought back some memories of how we used to ride in the past. No suspension at all. Then you are the one keeping you on the bike, not the bike looking after you. It will improve your handling skills. If not, it will bring a smile to your face and pain to your back, haha.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Obvious answer is... get a road bike. Use it to get stronger on days that you cannot get on the trails. Your mountain bike riding will be more fun because you have gain/maintained fitness with road bike days...

Ducking head now.

Bob