mtbr member

UK trails in winter(new tube camera footage)

Picked up a helmet camera last week to film our little group of twice weeky rider's these are a few of the first clips.

http://media.putfile.com/Kirroughtree-24th-Feb

http://media.putfile.com/Garburn-Kentmeresnowy

Sorry the only Turner content is that I am on one at the time!

mtbr member
    Nice vids.

Do you have many photos of UK riding? I'm going to return to Britain in the summer and I'd like to refresh my memories of UK trails. I'm wondering if I my 5 Spot will just be a burden on the trails.

Cheers,

Duncan

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    very cool prof. yer vids are one of the main things i find myself lookin forward to lately. keep em commin!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bike to the Bone...
    Hey, you have some pretty nice trails over there! Thanks for the movies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Nice vids.

Do you have many photos of UK riding? I'm going to return to Britain in the summer and I'd like to refresh my memories of UK trails. I'm wondering if I my 5 Spot will just be a burden on the trails.

Cheers,

Duncan
    5 Spots are great for the UK esp if you come up north, Lakes etc
    Depends on where you riding in the UK cosscountry or trail riding I guess as to weather you feel it's a burden. If you have an older bike with Romic stick an RP3 on there and some lighter tyres/wheels that will make it a bit more zippy.

Kirroughtree (the chute)

Mc Moab (the Scottish version of Moab) colder and smaller

Glenterra Beck (lake District)

mtbr member
    Videos are cool dude, Kirroughtree is the best course I've ridden, had so much fun on the spot.

I've got a few pictures of the Lake District and the 3 of the 7 Stanes course's in Scotland, there on my blog and some more on my flickr

north face trail in Lake District more photos on flickr
    Ae and Kirroughtree 7 Stanes Scotland
    Loughrigg Fell in the Lake District
    Dalbeattie 7 Stanes Scotland

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Cool vid's, well done.

If you're coming to the UK to ride, then I suggest that you wait for it to dry out a little first...

[SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Toons, I like your pic of the top of the chute

mtbr member
    Unfortunately that photo isnít mine, but I did ride the chute which was fun. Iím itching to get back to Kirroughtree, i tought the red\black route was class. Also I wanna try out the new red freeride at Glentress, have you ridden it yet?

Brass Nipples!
    Nice flow on that first trail.

Have you written up a review of your video setup anywhere? I'm starting to think it might be time to start shooting some video, but I don't want to strap a whole camcorder and a counterweight on my head. That seems too unwieldy to me. A good quality lipstick camera sending a signal to a remote recorder seems the most elegant solution, but I haven't taken the time to figure out what equipment to use.

I also think this would be a great way to catch people who poach local trails on their 4 wheelers. How sweet would it be to come up to these guys all friendly like and look their machines over while recording their registration numbers on video? If you were obvious while trying to film their wheelers it could get ugly, but stealth video could be great evidence.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Bob,
    You have only seen 1/10th of it, Kirroughtree (Scotland ) is my favorite trail's it seemís to have more downs than upís. The battery died for the tube cam (because they are new and had not been through a few charge cycles) the best bit's are later.
    It is one of the best place's where you can really get "in the zone" if you know what I mean, and forget about every thing, we where not going riding on the usual pace tbh (they must be camera shy) and that affect's the flow.

Ok the camera is a 480 line resolution tube camera from http://www.actioncameras.co.uk, the output from the camera it is connected to an old Sony DCR -PC100E,the LANC remote control is quite important as it allows you to ride for 3 hour's and not run down the camera battery, the camera is designed to run for the length of the tape ,but when you are riding you are stopping and starting the recording ( all the time the camera is in standby mode )as that only run's for 80 minutes or so that will run down the battery, with the LANC control the camera can be paused -started -stopped and turned off, allowing you to get a good ride in and capture the best bit's.
    The remote is by http://www.skytools.m.se/cameyesport.htm
    you may have to do a few searches but the kit is out there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pictures Prof. The chute is cool. I checked out Toons' links to the other photos too. Very nice.

I was based in Oxfordshire for about 18 months and rode a lot of local bridleways and singletrack with the occasional trip to the Quantocks, South Wales, Bristol and Coed-y-Brenin. Back then I was on my Kona Kiluaea or an RM Blizzard. I rode them rigid and they were great.

If I was up in Scotland every weekend or doing big jumps I'd stick with the Spot, but I'm considering getting a Flux, Titus Racer x or an IF hardtail.

Ironically, it's not the 5 Spot that I am reluctant to change but rather my still rigid Kiluaea. Having reclaimed it after it was stolen for three years I'm determined never to part with it again. Maybe a paint job and conversion to singlespeed though.

MBN
    mtbr member

Wonderfull stuff.......

......made me feel good just watching it!

M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Farqui
    Cool vid's, well done.

If you're coming to the UK to ride, then I suggest that you wait for it to dry out a little first...

When is that? Summer of 2009?

Just kidding, I used to live in England and would wait for that magic day when the trails would be completely dry. Then I learned.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    Ok the camera is a 480 line resolution tube camera from http://www.actioncameras.co.uk, the output from the camera it is connected to an old Sony DCR -PC100E,the LANC remote control is quite important as it allows you to ride for 3 hour's and not run down the camera battery
    Bob i just started researhing the subject too. a good looking setup is at
    http://www.hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=279
    they use an "exview" sony ccd that has better white balance and low light conditions and they sell LANC remotes too.
    Last edited by PSI; 03-09-2006 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    Unfortunately that photo isnít mine, but I did ride the chute which was fun. Iím itching to get back to Kirroughtree, i tought the red\black route was class. Also I wanna try out the new red freeride at Glentress, have you ridden it yet?
    Toons, the red black are very good, Pic's of Glentress are here http://barry-nuttall.fotopic.net/c808660.html
    I have a small section of video as well (taken with my Canon digital still camera) so they are not very big.
    http://media.putfile.com/Hobo-and-Dave

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    ...and would wait for that magic day when the trails would be completely dry. Then I learned.
    Patience grass hopper
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The main thing to bear in mind in terms of a suitable camcorder to plug the helmetcam into is that it must have AV in. A lot of cams only have AV out these days for some reason so it's worth checking.

I've been using mine without a remote and as prof says you either just get the length of the tape with usually only a few minutes decent footage, or you risk dislodging a connection every time you reach into your pack to turn the cam on and off. Either way, it's a major pain in the backside.

Sweet footage by the way Prof. I'm going to be in the 7 stanes area in August, but only for a few days. What 3 rides would you recommend, preferably one of which being not too technical and fairly short so I can drag the missus along?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    SuicideDave - I would recommend Kirroughtree, Mabie & Dalbeattie. Mabie & Dalbeattie are both resonably short, and can be done in the same day.

Great pictures Prof, I'm glad I'm going up to do all of the 7 Stanes again in Late May/Early June...

mtbr member

Mmmm, Kirroughtree

Great trails up there - probably my favourite UK built trails in fact. There's lots of stuff that's even better still further up in the Highlands; Dunkeld and Pitlochry in particular. I need to go back and explore more.

No Scottish photos on here yet, but plenty of UK stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81057800@N00/

'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideDave
    What 3 rides would you recommend, preferably one of which being not too technical and fairly short so I can drag the missus along?
    Kirroughtree and AE for you and Newcastleton for you and the SO,
    If she is fit /up for it the Mabie and Dalbeattie combo has bit's for both of you, she can take pic's of you on the slab and the terrible twin's at dalbeattie.

The Slab at Dalbeattie

Check out the web site, there are Video's and pic's plus reports on the condition's

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/infd-69afrj

You must do Kirroughtree.

Prof,
    Nice vids and pics. I am starting to put together a list of places to ride this summer and after seeing your video of Kirroughtree, its near the top of my list.

Thanks for sharing,
    C-

My cup runneth over
    Very nice videos and pix Prof - good stuff.