mol
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

UK riders: should i move from Peak District to Brighton

Ok have a job offer in London but currently living in Hathersage (10 miles from Sheffield), Peak District with good riding straight from the door. Current job and job on offer are pretty even in appeal so local riding opportuities may help my confused decsion making. If I move to London I'll probably live in Brighton, so what's the riding like on the South Downs - will my 5 spot be redundant for the trails? Need to decide on the job offer by Wednesday and my anxiety levels are on the rise. Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    no.
    simple.
    no question to ask.....
    i live in sheffield and the only places i'd consider moving to is remote wales, new zealand or scotland.
    i just don't think you can get better riding/life/schools/medical/uni's etc than with us. also don't forget we have some of the most diverse riding around with a healthy mix of rocky, singletrack, technical, fast as, wharncliffe (steve peats training ground for those the other side of the pond), sherwood pines for fireroads (if you need them) oh and manchester airport for anything bigger !

mol
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nickhart
    no.
    simple.
    no question to ask.....
    i live in sheffield and the only places i'd consider moving to is remote wales, new zealand or scotland.
    i just don't think you can get better riding/life/schools/medical/uni's etc than with us. also don't forget we have some of the most diverse riding around with a healthy mix of rocky, singletrack, technical, fast as, wharncliffe (steve peats training ground for those the other side of the pond), sherwood pines for fireroads (if you need them) oh and manchester airport for anything bigger !
    Right then. Interesting you mentioned uni's. i'm thinking of moving form sheff uni to Birkbeck, London. Shame about eating places in Sheff, also can't see the sea. But thats being a bit fussy and, yeah, agree with many of your points

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what you on about eating places?
    thai, lebanese, curry to die for, english, french, italian, noodle bars, teryaki bars, fish places
    also don't forget the proper beer from hillsborough hotel, hendersons relish and local delicacies such as scraps from t chippie and BEST from the best sarnie shop i've ever come across, lily's on penistone road.
    sorry i can't do owt about the sea, we've got rother valley! and there's ladybower..... not the same i know but then filey is just over 90 minutes away (ish) and you're still in yorkshire!
    i love the place (you might be able to tell) and it would take massive amounts to get me to move, plus i have a young family and i like the friendly feel of sheff........

mtbr member
    Why not live in Dorking? Easy commute to London and a lovely place to live, although house prices are very expensive (isnt everywhere!?) Plus you'll have great areas to ride such as Leith hill, Holmbury & Pitch hill on your doorstep - areas where a 5 spot is ideal.

Lots of Turner owners can be found posing on these hills......

Good luck whatever you decide

DS
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

mtbr member
    "Lots of Turner owners can be found posing on these hills......"

Too true.

Much as I love the singletrack of the Surrey Hills (and some of it IS stunning), I think I'd stick with Sheff & the Peaks. That much closer to the Lakes and Scotland too.

Personally I find there's very little on the Surrrey Hills that warrants a full sus bike. There's a few free-ridey bits, but a lot of them are doable on a hardtail if you're smooth.

South Downs riding is very much about being out in the open with big views, rather than good technical riding. Think Mint Sauce cartoons. They're also f'kin horrendous in the winter. (nasty, chalky, clayey clog yer bike solid in 100yds type mud).

Oh, and I sure as hell WOULDN'T swap a place in Hathersage for the south east.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The job offer would have to be a lot better to make me leave Sheff. I was there for 5 years through Uni and consider it one of the few places I would consider living if I ever had to come back to the UK. For an MTBer in England it is about as good as it gets.

mol
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If I move South it'll be Brighton. My wife has a house in the centre (rented out) but I've never lived there so don't really no the area. Anyway, in line with the most of you, I'd be hard pushed to leave Hathersage (the house has stunning views over Hope Valley, 20 min drive/1 hour ride into work passing Stanage Edge).
    Nickhart - so you won't be leaving Sheffield any time soon, you've motivated me to revisit Lily's; haven't been there for sometime

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good Stay where you are

I don't mean any offence to the residents of the South East, but I really think you have to be out of your mind to even be considering this. Life in the SE is very different, even to large cities like Manchester. Sheffield is very much a smaller city and getting around and most importantly out of it is quite easy. The cost of living is so much more down there as well and it's just generally more stressful.
    I struggle to find places in the Peaks and Lakes where a 5inch bike is justified, and I know that the downs are lovely and great to ride but they're no where near as technically challenging as those places.
    I've a mountain biking mate who moved to London as he was going to earn 3times as much. His biking instantly went to just once a week, then every other weekend, then every month and now he just really gets out on the road bike.

However, there are tonnes of people that love it there and I'm only giving my opinion. Everyone is different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd stay where you are mate.

Members who have read this thread: 0