Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

UK prices up again!

Just had a look on the Silverfish site,Turner frames have gone up £100 again,£1895 for a spot! I also priced some RS forks and they have shot up as well,i think my 08 spot will have to do another year at least!

banned
    The pound crashed, luckily for me and my orders going to CRC using my Euros!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    Just had a look on the Silverfish site,Turner frames have gone up £100 again,£1895 for a spot! I also priced some RS forks and they have shot up as well,i think my 08 spot will have to do another year at least!
    Seeing as how the GBP has tanked against, well, just about everything, I can't see how this is much of a surprise! Yep, this is a good time to work in Switzerland and be paid in CHF (Even if my old savings in pounds have just dropped about 40% in value...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The pound crashed, luckily for me and my orders going to CRC using my Euros!
    Yep,lucky you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    Seeing as how the GBP has tanked against, well, just about everything, I can't see how this is much of a surprise! Yep, this is a good time to work in Switzerland and be paid in CHF (Even if my old savings in pounds have just dropped about 40% in value...)
    Not a surprice just a bummer!
    I enjoyed a week in Switzerland last year,nice place to live!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, in away I was lucky to get my DWL Spot for £1695 from Wheelbase; just before they(Silverfish) hiked it up to £1795. How can they justify another £100 in just 4 weeks?

mtbr member
    Skyerose hows the new spot?My freind that was looking at your old frame cracked his frame on our last ride!

Wicketed

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

that's just getting silly.

come on mr brown and mr darling, sort it all out, some of us have got turner habits to feed.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    skyerose123-good question. I don't see this as fully down to FX situation against the dollar. I wonder if the prices will come back down when the pound strengthens and other factors are taken into account.....

I am still going to go for a new Spot should the ride go well (hoping to pick up a demo this weekend) but £1900 is a big ask (and equates to about $2850 at current ER's) and is pretty much at the limit of what I am prepared to pay right now. If I do, I will be screwing my LBS down for a serious discount on the fork. BTW, I heard today that the Lyrik 2 Step Air will be going up to £950 as well. A lot of money for a **** fork.

mtbr member
    wow - I am pleased about the pound crashing for when I go home and see my parents but did not realise how expensive Turners and RS forks are...is there no way to buy from the US and sneak them through customs? What I do not get is how expensive most bike stuff is in the UK yet chain reaction sells shimano cranks and a few other bits and pieces way cheaper than anywhere in the US. e.g. XT cranks are $156

mtbr member
    I've already got an account with Silverfish so was pleased to hear they were taking on Turner. Recieved the new price list yeterday and nearly choked! There's decent scope for discounts which is just as well as I think they'll struggle at those prices. Not SF's fault though as the whole industry has hiked prices significantly.

mtbr member
    You could get an Ibis Mojo SL for that price

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dipper - how so regarding the discounts? I need to talk to my LBS about that!

Wicketed
    wilks - if you buy them from the US, you're still having to pay loads because the £ is so crap against the dollar - and unless you've got a handy off-shore bank account you'd still be using UK money - withe the exchange rate as it is, even if you can cheekily circumvent customs and not pay import duty it is still going to work out at about the same money.

can't blame SF - they must be have been wary of putting prices up because i guess they wanted to really push turner as their new brand this year. that said, i can only presume that dipper is suggeting there is a decent profit margin for the lbs retailer....
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    swan lee: pound for dollar, I think you'll find if you translate the RRP for a Turner in the US to pounds at current ER's it equates to circa. £1650, compared to the new RRP in the UK of £1895.

I don't see SF shifting too many of these at this price to be honest. My LBS already has seen similar issues with SC - people enquiring about new the Nomad and Blurs but going for the way cheaper Heckler instead. I'm not that price sensitive, but £1900 is alot for a frame. You add the kind of fork you want, and you won't see much change from £3000 - my old Nomad build only cost me ~£3500 all in a few years back.

Wicketed
    fair enough nick-o-lai, i guess shipping would knock a fair chunk out of any savings though.

it's weird how £1900 suddenly seems to be too expensive for a frame (for me at least) - seems to have just nudged over that 'acceptable threshold', when really it would just a take a couple of months more saving. maybe next year - i have a feeling when the rfx comes out that that kind of price range is somehow going to seem like good value to me ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Spot in 2007 was £1495. When I bought the new DWL Spot for £1695 I thought the extra would equate a years inflation, research, design and new linkage; which although expensive seemed ok. However the extra £200 in a matter of four weeks may have the potential and current Turner owners reconsidering.
    When building up a bike thats an XTR crank set or a lot of excellent finishing kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    SL - you're right, I think it is psychological. Personally, another £100 is not a big deal in itself. That said, I think for a lot of folk people will be asking whether a hike of £200 in the last month or so in reasonable - which is what it has been (the Spot was reviewed in WMB in Dec and the price was £200 less). We all know about exchange rates etc, but it seems that the consumer is the one being expected to take the pain, while manufactuers and retailers are wanting to maintain margin. I don't know how the numbers stack up for them of course, and it may be that the pricing is the only way they feel they can run the business. Irrespective, I think a lot of high-end stuff is reaching the point where people will simply delay or downgrade to something cheaper (I think the Santa Cruz anecdote is a case in point).

That said, If I like the ride, I am set on a Spot.

Wicketed
    nick-o-lai - yeah, i agree re manufacturer / importer / retailer wanting to protect their margins..i suppose if people vote with their feet the price will come down. but, as a punter, i guess it comes back to perceived value, and having owned 3 turners, i'm happy to pay a premium (within reason though!). out of interest, where are you getting your spot demo from? (nirvana in westcott?- i heard a rumour they were going to build one up). i'm hoping silverfish will have a few demo bikes they can send out to retailers, because here in the southwest we're a bit short of stockists....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    price hikes in the uk are getting ridiculous,i've just sold my 08 yeti 575 in preparation for a new ride and my huge list is getting very short as i'm sorry but no matter how great a frame is at nearly 2k its getting silly.i think sales will be very poor at this rate as the country is in a serious downturn,there will be some very good deals about come end of season

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Swan lee - I live in Crowthorne, Berks. Mountain Trax are my local dealer and they have 2 mediums in right now (one to sell at the current price of £1795) and one is being built up as a demo this week hopefully. The old demo version is up for sale if I recall.

My own situation is that this will be a replacment for my old Nomad as my trail/AM type ride. I "only" need to stump up for the frame and a new fork, so my costs for a new ride won't be as high as they could be if building totally from scratch. Having said that I am thinking of running it with a TALAS 36, and those are going up soon too - well, so will all Fox forks, so even if I went for a 32 TALAS I'll still be in for a caning if I don't secure one soon.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    All you Brits should fly into Cali, pick up at spot direct from Turner (that should cover your airfare, right?) and go for a nice road trip through the states.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the price goes up again, I just might dig out my airmiles and do it!

Wicketed
    MK - that's a good idea. i was in cali in october, weeping because the new spots weren't available yet! i did get to drool over one in uranium cycles, moab though.

Nick-o - that's interesting - i grew up in Fleet, Hants, so know that area well. might have to take a trip up to see old friends, and do a test ride, if a spot takes my fancy later in the year...

banned
    You guys were enjoying good pricing when the pound was doing well for some time. The good times weren't going to last forever!

Now what's good is that I don't have to stay within the Eurozone now when I go and explore the EU. I can actually afford to make a weekend trip back home-home to London.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast