Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugi 2007 Xtr

Bite Me.

Ugi 2007 Xtr

Ka-Bling - the arms race continues - Dual Control may be dead - Shimano copies the SRAM push push triggers - cash or credit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Everytime I tell myself that I will get used to it and seeing it on high-end bikes I'll associate its image with something positive but the thing is damned plain fugly!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Bite Me.
    It's got nothing over the XO stuff, or even the X9 IMO, either functionally or aesthetically.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Rumor has it it might even come in real late...
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Too Much Fun

No good 2007 Xtr = Krazy Fugly

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Ka-Bling - the arms race continues - Dual Control may be dead - Shimano copies the SRAM push push triggers - cash or credit?
    That stuff looks just dumb ugly. Hey Shimano, thanks for the big dorky "X" on it so we know its XTR. Way to put form over function. Looks SO cheezy (no offense TS).

I've had XTR on my hardtail for years and its served me through years of ragged abuse but I'm sold on SRAM now. After recently badly pretzelling my XO carbon rear der. and then having it flawlessly rebuilt overnight I'm not going back.

A totally rebuildable rear derailleur, thank you SRAM.

[end mini rant]
    - -benja- -

Lay off the Levers
    For me the primary thing SRAM has over Shimano is their RD's dont bang on the dropouts. I have both and I like the light touch shifting of the non-RR XTRs better. For me, both hold a set just fine, and you can order replacement parts from Shimano. I called Sram for a little tinky internal broken bit in my X9 shifter (which I understand is a frequently broken item) and they insisted I find a dealer to send the whole unit back. Not what I want to do.

The RD rebuildability of the SRAM stuff is cool, I hope they are better about selling parts for that than they are for their shifters.

Both seem to have ez-bend paddles.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why does Shimano get based for that?

Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Way to put form over function.
    Marzocchi has been doing that for _years_; all that stupid M crap everywhere.

The new Shimano stuff is growing on me, but I just like the way the SRAM shifts so much that I doubt I'll stray.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Both seem to have ez-bend paddles.

Just found that out last week on X9. Good thing they're just as easy to bend back...

As I was stripping my frame down to send it off to a good home earlier this week, I stripped out the plastic screw that covers the cable end on the shifter, and I can't get it out. Theres just a mess of pummeled plastic where I want my cable to exit - any suggetstions y'all?

"Its All Good"
    Tell me a sex on toast car that is Japanese (maybe GTR Skyline, MAYBE)that has beautiful lines, no wonder that XTR RD looks like a dogs breakfast...............

Mind you in saying that, where did SRAM get their great lines from, must be some German, Italian blood in there..........

In the end for me tho, function of XO is far better IMOP................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Bite Me.
    Whatever you do - DON'T push that sucker into the housing - otherwise you're only option is to dissassemble the whole thing - a truly royal PITA. See if you can get a razor blade under one edge to peel off 1/3 to 1/2 of the plastic mess - then take your hemostats or a fine set of needle nose pliers and try and twist it out. This is one serious design defect with these shifters. Now I barely twist them in after I install cable. Good luck

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    Just found that out last week on X9. Good thing they're just as easy to bend back...

As I was stripping my frame down to send it off to a good home earlier this week, I stripped out the plastic screw that covers the cable end on the shifter, and I can't get it out. Theres just a mess of pummeled plastic where I want my cable to exit - any suggetstions y'all?
    Just don't bend that paddle again. You're liable to break it off completely the second time.

The screw is soft nylon. I've had this happen and it's much easier to remove the shifter from the clamp using those three (or four) bolts on top. All you have to do is just make sure you don't lose the spool spring on the way out, but it's easy to get in. Also aligning the tape with the gear indicator is easy, just remember what gear you're in.

That X in the RD looks outright creepy. Can't pinpoint it, but creepy it is.

Myself, I might end up giving X0 gripshifts a chance after being a trigger devotee for years. Lighter, more durable in impacts, and cheap than the trigger counterparts. And the ability to dump many gears in one shot! I wonder if anyone has gone from triggers to grips and what they thought about it.

Bite Me.
    My same old worry about going to grips - how can you brake and shift simultaneously? - I've heard it explained but I can't think how you can do it. I just love having the index finger working the brake lever and the thumb running the drivetrain all at the same time.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    X.0 triggers. Oooooooooooooooooh baby.
    Nuff said.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

banned
    My same old worry about going to grips - how can you brake and shift simultaneously? - I've heard it explained but I can't think how you can do it. I just love having the index finger working the brake lever and the thumb running the drivetrain all at the same time.
    I think there are many ways to get around this, in theory. Biking isn't something where there is only one way to do anything. I figure this is an accomodation thing in that brake first, then shift, or downshift, then brake, no big deal. Things happen so fast and the comparative frame of time between the two setups is overall the same or so insignificantly different that it wouldn't matter, especially when shifts on grips are supposedly a lot faster being compared against something that may be more of a mental assurance issue.

I'm thinking of the changes in terms of the true performance advantages outweighing any habitual/comfort changes. Could be wrong, but at $70, it's worth a shot.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

SRAM is a pain in the tail

They will not send you crap unless you go through a LBS. Thanks, SRAM! I broke something on my X.9 and those buggers would not deal with me at all.

The X.0 is not enough better than teh X.9 to justify the expensive. I have had both. The X.0 is far more difficult to change cables on.

The new XTR looks great. I bet it is crazy expensive.

Jaybo

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    They will not send you crap unless you go through a LBS. Thanks, SRAM! I broke something on my X.9 and those buggers would not deal with me at all.

The X.0 is not enough better than teh X.9 to justify the expensive. I have had both. The X.0 is far more difficult to change cables on.

The new XTR looks great. I bet it is crazy expensive.

Jaybo
    I can say four times over that that the first statement is not accurate. Mike Stejskal at SRAM is a great guy to deal with and no nonsense. He helped me out a few months ago, step by step over a week's worth of emails, along with sending me parts.

ONCE AND FOR ALL THE WHOLE BRAKE-SHIFT THING!!!

Ok guys, I use twist shifters because I like em, if you prefer triggers thats fine. They each have their advantages. But this argument keeps coming up and its stupid. First of, how ofter do you need to shift and brake at exactly the same time? (I guess it could be you terrain, where you ride, I dont know) Second, as with everything on a bike its a question of practice and what you are used to. So if you want to try twisties but need to shift/brake simultaneously here's a tip. Wrap you hand around the handlebars with your index finger and thumb resting on the shifter. Now take you middle finger and place it on the brake lever. Voila! You can know twist forward or back 1-2 gears and brake at the same time. There are even some times (occasionally, Im still working on it) when you can twist up a gear ot using just your thumb. Give it a shot.

Braking / shifting simultaneously with Grip-shifters solved...move on to the next puzzling conundrum...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One vote here for XTR over XO- didn't like the triggers and sold em, for me the XTR had a much better action. Looks like the new stuff doesn't have a gear indicator, which some people might not miss but i would. It's a good job my three year old shifters are as good as the day they were fitted then...
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine

Samet thing happened to me. I loosened the screws to take the cover off, and that gave me room to snag the plug with a small, fine tipped needle nose pliers.
    Astigmatic Visionary

NDO
    Kiwis can fly - briefly!

Trigger and Grip

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I wonder if anyone has gone from triggers to grips and what they thought about it.
    After 12 years on triggers I tried XO grips a year ago when the 7 speeds terminally exploded. Shifting and breaking is no problem as described by CDtofer, however, I have struggled with double shifts. For me itís something about the combinations of twist and the different length of movement required on the two shifters. I just keep stuffing it up from time-to-time. Also, you have to tense you hand for each shift. Your wrists may get a bit achy until you get used to it.

I have been riding XO triggers on the Spot for a couple of months now and they are sweet. That said, Iíll be migrating the twisters to my Flux project for gravel road trips where spot-on shifting is not such an issue. Both systems work fine and it's been fun working out which system is right for my style. Have a crack with both systems if you can afford it. And anyone who goes to a once in 12 year upgrade is a
    Kia ora (Good health)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, seeing as shimano invented the "push push" action about a decade ago, I'd say SRAM was doing the copying.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I can say four times over that that the first statement is not accurate. Mike Stejskal at SRAM is a great guy to deal with and no nonsense. He helped me out a few months ago, step by step over a week's worth of emails, along with sending me parts.
    I can say that the first statement is completely accurate. Many using SRAM's tech support have been forced to go thru an LBS to get service, myself included. I would say Mike S. is the exception, not the rule.

Lay off the Levers
    I agree with Roy. I called SRAM and they were quite firm about going through the LBS. I like to do my own work whenever I can and it was only a small part that I needed.
    OTOH Shimano is easy to get on the phone, they look up the part and send it out right away w/o a beef. They also do full warranty work with simply filling out a form and shipping the kit back to them. No fuss no muss and I've sent plenty of LBS bought equipment back to them for prompt no-hassle service.

With SRAM If someone buys their pods on-line they are left with:
    a) Sending it back to an on-line dealer for them to pass on to SRAM.
    b) Going to an LBS for service on equip not bought from them and pay for wrenching when they have their own shop in the basement.

I do try to split my big orders, and buy from the LBS and online... but sometimes for single items it's a lot easer to shop from my desk and have it on my doorstep than drive a half hour each way.(after a long commute home) I can use that time to wrench or ride. Being a family man, time is my most precious commodity

Dealer-only-Cust-svc is what drove me nuts with Mavic wheels. I'm not too spiffy on it from a framebuilder standpoint either, and I'm glad Turner is very helpful in dealing directly their customers.

Annnyway.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well, seeing as shimano invented the "push push" action about a decade ago, I'd say SRAM was doing the copying.
    Did they? Or was is Suntour with X-Press, I honestly don't remember. I remember X-Press from as far back as 1990 but can't quite place the year it was released.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I agree with Roy. I called SRAM and they were quite firm about going through the LBS. I like to do my own work whenever I can and it was only a small part that I needed.
    OTOH Shimano is easy to get on the phone, they look up the part and send it out right away w/o a beef. They also do full warranty work with simply filling out a form and shipping the kit back to them. No fuss no muss and I've sent plenty of LBS bought equipment back to them for prompt no-hassle service.

With SRAM If someone buys their pods on-line they are left with:
    a) Sending it back to an on-line dealer for them to pass on to SRAM.
    b) Going to an LBS for service on equip not bought from them and pay for wrenching when they have their own shop in the basement.

I do try to split my big orders, and buy from the LBS and online... but sometimes for single items it's a lot easer to shop from my desk and have it on my doorstep than drive a half hour each way.(after a long commute home) I can use that time to wrench or ride. Being a family man, time is my most precious commodity

Dealer-only-Cust-svc is what drove me nuts with Mavic wheels. I'm not too spiffy on it from a framebuilder standpoint either, and I'm glad Turner is very helpful in dealing directly their customers.

Annnyway.

My experience everytime was talking to SRAm about the technical aspects of my problem, etc and they send the item to my LBS and the deal is done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast