Lew
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Typical What Bike Post-Turner?

My wife wants me to ride more with her this year and insists I get a new FS, any one I want. I need your help, indulge me please. I have specific questions.

Me- over 40, in good shape, good climber. Continually riding the brakes on the downhills. Need more confidence to let Ďem go on descents. Donít want to sacrifice too much climbing ability, I like climbs. Iím 6 ft., 180 lbs, 33 inseam, by the way.

Next, arthritic neck. Canít take more racer-boy position like on my hardtail. (Seat higher than bars=hyperextended neck) Iíd like to be more upright, and Iím sure this can be achieved with stem and bar combinations, but I donít want to turn a trailbike into a comfort bike and ruin the handling characteristics. Know what I mean? Is that a real concern?

We ride in the smooth American cornbelt, but vacation in West Virginia and Tennessee. Rough stuff compared to home. I have no slow speed technical skills, but will work on those this year, at a local trail with reasonable challenges. Can a certain bike help me with that?

Iím looking at all-mountain type bikes, 5-Spot, X-5, El-Salt, Id/Moment, Switchblade, or anything else you can think of, so think away. May not need all that bike at home, but useful on vacation, and besides, if your wife was bugging you to buy the one bike of a lifetime, wouldnít you do it? I donít want to screw it up. Specs?

So help me to maintain climbing ability, gain slow speed technical skills, and gain confidence on descents, while getting a more rider-friendly position for my neck. There are no dealers for any of these bikes for hundreds of miles (to try Ďem), but LBSs (two of them actually) where I have friends, will work with me to build about anything, theyíd like my business.

Sorry, long post, but I thought I had fairly specific ?ís and some/most of you seem quite knowledgeable. Thanks.

Lew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    My wife wants me to ride more with her this year and insists I get a new FS, any one I want. I need your help...

It sounds like I need your help more than you need mine. A wife that wants you to ride with her and insists you get a new bike?!? Damn! What are you using? Hypnosis? Prescription drugs? Subliminal messaging?

if your wife was bugging you to buy the one bike of a lifetime, wouldnít you do it?
    ...aahhh...you're kidding right?

So help me to maintain climbing ability, gain slow speed technical skills, and gain confidence on descents, while getting a more rider-friendly position for my neck...
    Lew...
    Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a large Turner 5 Spot, or it for you. Either way, climbing, descending, technical work, theyíre all strong suites of the 5 Spot. I continually find that my climbing ability has made drastic leaps and bounds since I dropped my HT for my 5 Spot. Descending, you'll love it, just make sure you put on a pair of dependable disc brakes, I strongly recommend Avid Juicy Sevens. As far a geometry and "rider position" you'll need to work with your LBS to dial in the proper stem length and rise.

In response to the other bikes you've listed, I've only ridden the Switchblade, my brother's, and while it's a good mannered, well built FS bike the 5 Spot is much better all the way around. With Ventana's I'd recommend the X-5 over the El Salt for a trail bike. Ellsworth? Well there's no more controversial brand on the entire MTBR forum than Ellsworth. I don't tend to pay too much attention to it but then again I don't own and haven't considered purchasing one. But if you are giving Ellsworth serious consideration I'd recommend doing your homework. The other bike I'd recommend you take a look at is the Yeti 575. Tscheezy, a fellow 5 Spot owner, demoed one several weeks ago and loved it. Here's his review if you're interested, I demoed a 575 for a day. Very nice!. My LBS is a Yeti dealer and several of the local riders love them.

No, that's not phonetic
    Me- over 40, in good shape, good climber. Continually riding the brakes on the downhills. Need more confidence to let Ďem go on descents. Donít want to sacrifice too much climbing ability, I like climbs. Iím 6 ft., 180 lbs, 33 inseam, by the way.
    Read the reviews and people's comments here. "Confidence inspiring" is one of the most often quoted superaltives.

Next, arthritic neck. Canít take more racer-boy position like on my hardtail. (Seat higher than bars=hyperextended neck) Iíd like to be more upright, and Iím sure this can be achieved with stem and bar combinations, but I donít want to turn a trailbike into a comfort bike and ruin the handling characteristics. Know what I mean? Is that a real concern?
    You can ruin the handling of any bike with bad positioning, and you can ruin your enjoyment of any bike by putting yourself in an uncomfortable position. There is a balance. The Turner is no more or less sensitive to this sort of thing than any bike. The best thing is find a bike which is comfortable to you and see if you can replicate this position on the 5-Spot. The main thing to look at is top tube length. You are correct that most of the upright position will come from bar and stem choices, and getting a bike which is not too long overall. This does not really seem to be a point on which to lean towards or away from any particular model.

We ride in the smooth American cornbelt, but vacation in West Virginia and Tennessee. Rough stuff compared to home. I have no slow speed technical skills, but will work on those this year, at a local trail with reasonable challenges. Can a certain bike help me with that?
    The Spot is very versatile. Then again so is the Ventana. The Yeti 575 is also a nice bike as Crash mentioned. Out of all the bikes I have ridden, I still feel the most comfortable in the greatest variety of conditions on the Turners. This may be familiarity, and my liking the Yeti is because it reminded me of my Turners.

Iím looking at all-mountain type bikes, 5-Spot, X-5, El-Salt, Id/Moment, Switchblade, or anything else you can think of, so think away. May not need all that bike at home, but useful on vacation, and besides, if your wife was bugging you to buy the one bike of a lifetime, wouldnít you do it? I donít want to screw it up. Specs?
    I would run screaming away from Ellsworths, but that is just my personal semi-informed opinion. If you want durability I would get a Turner or Ventana. I'd be impressed if you could break any of the bikes on your list (aside from the Ell's) without having them fall off the roof rack at freeway speeds.

I would get, in order, the Spot, 575, X-5, SBlade... and I wouldn't touch an Ellsworth with a 10' pole. I only list the 575 above the X-5 due my very positive experience on one.

Read the reviews including the ones from last year.

See ya,
    tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

roots, rocks, rhythm

And you have problems.......

Like Crash said and what I was thinking when I read your article.
    I just wish I had your problem.......I would just love a girl/wife to tell me to get my a$$ out there and ride with her more often............lol
    And you got problems......................ya right

As to your other problem Tscheezy pretty much said it.........

seeya

K

Lew
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I'm was leaning toward the Spot, and you helped confirm it, now that I've read all the posts here. I think Surfer's pics pushed me over the top. I'll probably go with a large silver. I'll post follow-up someday, and eventually pics. Oh yeah, drugs and hypnosis.

Meanwhile, I'll try to put a pic of my first mountainbike here (I'm on #2 now), circa 1991, and still in top shape. Should be in a museum. Scott Team Racing model, Suntour XC Pro with grease guard, mostly Ritchey parts, steel frame. Mavic ceramic rims. NO suspension.

Hopefully this will load up.

Lew
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I love the 5 spot, but please consider the Yeti 575-it may be just the bike you are looking for. And builds a little lighter than the spot. Do not buy anything until you've tried the Yeti

mtbr member

Try Try and Try

Thanks for the replies. I'm was leaning toward the Spot, and you helped confirm it, now that I've read all the posts here. I think Surfer's pics pushed me over the top. I'll probably go with a large silver. I'll post follow-up someday, and eventually pics. Oh yeah, drugs and hypnosis.

Meanwhile, I'll try to put a pic of my first mountainbike here (I'm on #2 now), circa 1991, and still in top shape. Should be in a museum. Scott Team Racing model, Suntour XC Pro with grease guard, mostly Ritchey parts, steel frame. Mavic ceramic rims. NO suspension.

Hopefully this will load up.

Lew
    and compare with other forum. The spot is a great bike but this is not the place to get unbiased opinions about the 5-spot You can get similar (better in some areas worse in others) performance for less money. Try out the VPPs if you can. If you are looking for a smooth ride at slow/moderate speeds, and can use less travel up front, the Blur is the king: nothing I tried goes through stutter bumps as well (and weights 1.5 pounds less).

Motion activated
    I have no slow speed technical skills, but will work on those this year, at a local trail with reasonable challenges. Can a certain bike help me with that?
    Try riding with flat pedals and skate shoes. When you get to any technical areas, lower your seat as much as you can. That way you'll learn what the bike can and can't do in technical situations without messing yourself up. When you get confident, you can go to clip-less pedals.