Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta

Turners on the loose in Moab!!!!

Just got back from a killer quick trip to Moab! Big ups to Ben from Moab's brewery for showing us a good time monday on Amasa Back! Yes, we caught the tail of jeep week and that kind of sucked; but the locals hooked us up, conditions were good, no crashes, and everybody rode great!

here's Ben and I hitting a drop on Amasa back: (please save for viewing)
    http://www.bikesandmusic.com/AmasaDrop.MOV

Pictures of my RFX, and Barry's new 5-spot on Porc rim; and also Erik's Ellsworth which broke the first day on slickrock:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great pics & flick! That view shot off of Porcupine has got to be one of the most photographed places in Moab. Did you guys find the time to make it over to Fruita?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Nah, we skipped fruita, and don't regret it. Driving down was quite enough time in the car... and we did some stuff in Moab I hadn't ridden before (LPS and amasa back) Basically we did slickrock the first day, porcupine rim the next, which was so good we went back the day after that and did LPS and porcupine rim again, then amasa back,and home we went- all in 4.5 days. We caught the end of jeep week which was CRAZY, apparently there were 4 fatalities while we were there (one cyclist). The campgrounds were nuts...Crash, it would have been great to hook up but with 9 guys I knew the logisistics would have been crazy.

We were just glad the Ells broke on slickrock instead of porc rim, where it would have been a real drag for him to get out. It was seriously a JRA break. The bike has not been abused, but I think the owner will be happier on something sturdier anyways. I trust that Ells will take care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Great pics & flick! That view shot off of Porcupine has got to be one of the most photographed places in Moab. Did you guys find the time to make it over to Fruita?

Are you talking to me?

They had better take good care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Nah, we skipped fruita, and don't regret it. Driving down was quite enough time in the car... and we did some stuff in Moab I hadn't ridden before (LPS and amasa back) Basically we did slickrock the first day, porcupine rim the next, which was so good we went back the day after that and did LPS and porcupine rim again, then amasa back,and home we went- all in 4.5 days. We caught the end of jeep week which was CRAZY, apparently there were 4 fatalities while we were there (one cyclist). The campgrounds were nuts...Crash, it would have been great to hook up but with 9 guys I knew the logisistics would have been crazy.

We were just glad the Ells broke on slickrock instead of porc rim, where it would have been a real drag for him to get out. It was seriously a JRA break. The bike has not been abused, but I think the owner will be happier on something sturdier anyways. I trust that Ells will take care of him.
    You can see by the photo that the bike is well maintained. The break happened right at the same weld spot on the seat tube as other photos that I have seen. Please share the warranty dealings with us, if you happen to be following it. I am glad that you had a good time.
    gfy

Just got back from a killer quick trip to Moab! Big ups to Ben from Moab's brewery for showing us a good time monday on Amasa Back! Yes, we caught the tail of jeep week and that kind of sucked; but the locals hooked us up, conditions were good, no crashes, and everybody rode great!

Pictures of my RFX, and Barry's new 5-spot on Porc rim; and also Erik's Ellsworth which broke the first day on slickrock:

LOL, another dead Ellsworth. It really sucks to spend that kind of money on such an expensive frame, and have them fail as frequently as they do. Hopefully it will covered under warranty and he can sell it and get a Turner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I guess Tony was lying when he said the breaking was due to improperly inflated air shocks. Looks like the new frames suffer from the same problem as the old ones, I am so glad I didn't buy an ellsworth.

mtbr member
    [font=Verdana]Crash, it would have been great to hook up but with 9 guys I knew the logisistics would have been crazy.
    No worries. It would've been fun, but I didn't have the time either. I have enough troubles dealing with me, myself and I. Just ask Tscheezy how complicated it got when I brought the St. George contingency, myself and three others, to Moab. I'm amazed that you got the riding in that you did in such a short period.

banned
    I bet those fenders came in handy!

(I saw a guy on Porc walking out with a Truth in the same condition when I was in Moab last year)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I guess Tony was lying when he said the breaking was due to improperly inflated air shocks. Looks like the new frames suffer from the same problem as the old ones, I am so glad I didn't buy an ellsworth.
    I don't think we should rush to that conclusion, that type of thing quickly evolves into everyone thinking every Ellsworth breaks, which isn't the case. Yeah, we know they aren't built as tough as Turner's, but give Tony a break here (no pun intended).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Ummm...I don't recall anyone saying that EVERY EW breaks, but would you want to take the chance that yours is one that does crack like that?

He said that the breakages were due to the air shocks. This one has a coil and still broke. That's all that is at hand here. How bout you decide to buy a bike that costs $2k and then think to yourself if the company would back you if it breaks, because quite a few have been known to break all the same way and then Tony blames the owner for blah blah blah. I could see Tony homing in on the Ti spring and the bashring.

Give Tony a break? He came on these boards and insulted everyone with his bizzare and specious claims.
    Dude, don't try to pick a fight. I said "...quickly evolves into..." You're picking at individual cases and calling foul, but missing the point of what I'm saying, I'm asking us to be a little more open about it. I'm not saying Ellsworth is right, I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying try to look at it from his perspective a little.

Tony is right when he says that happy customers don't say much but one ticked off customer will scream to high hell. That's the point. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say "...that xxx bike sucks, I hear those crack all the time", only to find that this is the result of some second hand rumor or isolated case. Yes, I know you're going to say that's not the case here...it's called an analogy.

People are reactonary and pety, I only ask that they try to look at it from the other side for a change. How would you feel if you worked your butt off only to have a bunch of guys who have obviously voided their warrantee scream that they are getting screwed? Of course you'd get sensitive about it, and you'd be justified in going off every once in a while. Yes, Tony could be better about it. But are we any better if we use that as justification to jump on him? Is it suddenly ok to say that you shouldn't risk buying an Ellsworth because they risk breaking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hey, looking at the spot where that broke, I'd be curious to see how much welding goes around the bottom of the brace. If the welds wind around, it's possible that the welder needs to spend extra time in a very small area, which might lend itself to overheating the main tube, might explain the failures in that area, when combined with the stresses there.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That is a 2001, the break is in the same spot as many others-including mine. I highly doubt Ells. will warranty it at no cost with the new warranty. He will probably have to pay the upgrade fee. It's not one of their newer models though.

Are you talking to me?

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr
    Hey, looking at the spot where that broke, I'd be curious to see how much welding goes around the bottom of the brace. If the welds wind around, it's possible that the welder needs to spend extra time in a very small area, which might lend itself to overheating the main tube, might explain the failures in that area, when combined with the stresses there.
    Give that man a CIGAR! That is what I have been thinking. THat is a lot of weld material on a VERY thin tube.
    gfy

... I guess you won't be
    yes, that's all good, but did you ever get a chance to go into Woody's in Moab? That bar can definitely get out of hand....

Ps...I almost accidentally rode off that point you took that picture - I didn't know I was at the top....

rr
    I don't do PC

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr
    Dude, don't try to pick a fight. I said "...quickly evolves into..." You're picking at individual cases and calling foul, but missing the point of what I'm saying, I'm asking us to be a little more open about it. I'm not saying Ellsworth is right, I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying try to look at it from his perspective a little.

Tony is right when he says that happy customers don't say much but one ticked off customer will scream to high hell. That's the point. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say "...that xxx bike sucks, I hear those crack all the time", only to find that this is the result of some second hand rumor or isolated case. Yes, I know you're going to say that's not the case here...it's called an analogy.

People are reactonary and pety, I only ask that they try to look at it from the other side for a change. How would you feel if you worked your butt off only to have a bunch of guys who have obviously voided their warrantee scream that they are getting screwed? Of course you'd get sensitive about it, and you'd be justified in going off every once in a while. Yes, Tony could be better about it. But are we any better if we use that as justification to jump on him? Is it suddenly ok to say that you shouldn't risk buying an Ellsworth because they risk breaking?
    Thanks for keeping it honest, the wolves were starting to attack.

mtbr member

Nice generalization there.

[QUOTE] People are reactonary and pety, I only ask that they try to look at it from the other side for a change.

Sort of the way "people" generalize ellsworth.
    Last edited by AndyN; 04-15-2004 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Grammer

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=AndyN]
    People are reactonary and pety, I only ask that they try to look at it from the other side for a change.

Sort of the way "people" generalize ellsworth.
    Yeah, it's a pretty big generalization...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I think we were trying to look from the other side until Tony opened his mouth and insulted the intelligence of us all and absolutely LIED in his posts, refusing to answer the direct claims of posters here. He even went so far to say that people were hostile to him, but meanwhile the format of the forum allows anyone to speak unhindered.

here's one bizzare post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=42

From the original Ellsworth Warranty thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=3219

I clearly remember welcoming him here and asking him respectfully to dispell the rumors and he didn't.

Regardless, I hope the guy gets taken care of and Tony steps up and does the right thing. Perhaps he's viewing these threads and will do something for him. The fact of the matter is that Tony can clear his rep only through years of future good service and lots of hard work.
    As rroeder alluded to....Release the houooonds!!!!

Gee Steve3, you called him a liar and said people don't like him...and he got mad? ...that's just crazy talk...

Trail Rider

The 2001 model...

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    That is a 2001, the break is in the same spot as many others-including mine. I highly doubt Ells. will warranty it at no cost with the new warranty. He will probably have to pay the upgrade fee. It's not one of their newer models though.
    The design flawed year. I'd be interested to see how Tony handles this.

mtbr member

For the love of all that's Holy (that being all things Turner)

I know I've hi-jacked the occasional thread, but come on guys give it a rest! Go beat up on Tony in the Ellsworth forum. You and I are both defiling sacred ground by even mentioning his name here .
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-15-2004 at 12:29 PM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    The design flawed year. I'd be interested to see how Tony handles this.

Yep, he should of recalled all the 2001 Truths-he will be paying for that mistake for awhile. He did however fix the problem the next year and I have not heard of any post 2001's breaking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks like a 2001.

The 2001's had real issues w/ the seattube breaking right @ the bottom on the weld. It was redesigned in 2002 (I think?) and I don't recall seeing any of those break.

Dave

FM
    luxatio erecta
    The fenders were good for at least -2mpg on the way down! I wanted to remove mine, but got distracted packing sunscreen and sleeveless jerseys.

About the EW; Look, we're talking about a 5.5lb frame here. The owner is not into jumping or hucking, but we ride some pretty technical trails that I've broken many frames on, before I started jumping or hucking myself. He and I both are about 170lbs. IMHO, ~6lb frames are doomed to break eventually if ridden hard on technical trails, pretty much regardless of manufacturer. He had by far the lightest bike in our group, so nobody was really too surprised when it broke. Lets give Tony a chance to do right and set him up with a moment or Id, much more appropriate for our terrain.

Also, nobody was surprised when he rode much faster both up and down, and cleaned more terrain, on a rental Giant VT2.

A great shot of my buddy ebXtreme:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I bet those fenders came in handy!

(I saw a guy on Porc walking out with a Truth in the same condition when I was in Moab last year)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not just famous; infamous
    Nice pix FM! I always love seeing shots of Moab.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Yep, he should of recalled all the 2001 Truths-he will be paying for that mistake for awhile. He did however fix the problem the next year and I have not heard of any post 2001's breaking.
    I was trying to stay out of this, in hopes the discussion would just go away but since it won't I'll vent.

Hey everyone look! Another EW Warranty discussion...I wonder if we can rehash this discussion in EVERY FORUM?

Okay now that I got that out of my system. Here's my worthless contribution because I just can't help looking at traffic accidents either.

-It's an 01' and that was pretty obvious from the beginning. (the shock mount is the giveaway)
    -The '01 Issue is nothing new, It's fairly common knowlege by now.
    -It's got a Romic so now we know it's not a shock issue...but c'mon considering the shock mount was changed the next year in response to the problem, we pretty much knew that too.
    -It's a warranty issue based on how EW applies his warranty, which is if he has an '01 triangle in stock he gets it free, if not,(of course he dosen't it's 2 years old) the user pays for the "upgrade". Let's not debate that policy AGAIN. It's been done to death.

Maybe all the EW CS discussions will have TE consider replacing this as a full warranty to perhaps demonstrate an improvement in CS.

As far as recalling all the '01 Truths, well IMO, as long as he replaces them w/o sweating anyone there is no need to recall the product. They'll make their way back to the facory as needed. It sucks, but I've seen very few mfgrs proactively replace problem frame parts. The industry standard is to replace upon failure.

BTW remember when some folks posted a good AL FS bike should not be expected to last more than 2-3 years anyway? well this is why I disagree...and would like to express my sympathy for the fella who's trip to MTB-Mecca was cut short due to that BS industry ideal. (and everyone else who buys a 2-3yr old used frame regardless of the brand and ends up w/a problem)
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast