Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Are Turners fun?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  kosmo 
#1 ·
Everything I've read about Turners is that they are spectacular machines from a spectacular company. I really want a Burner but I'm concerned it won't be, for lack of a better word, fun.

For reference, I have an STP which I love and just bought a Banshee Paradox which I love even more; at least on trails. I think I really do need full suspension (Moab et. al.) but I want a bike I can ride, not a bike I sit on and pedal. Make sense?

So, is a Burner fun? Thanks y'all.

Steve

p.s. Being able to bunny hop is important to me.

#3 ·
I was thinking about the OP's question and Jaybo had the answer. My 50 year old road commuter is a blast to ride, every bike I've owned has been fun, so it's a tough question to honestly answer.
My 5 Spot is uber plush. It's like riding a cadillac, but it still snaps through turns and pedals like a champ. It's a definite improvement over my old Intense VPP 5.5, or my old single pivot Gemini. Is it fun? Hell yeah, but so is every bike I ride.
If you want fun AND reliability, ease of maintenance, and pride of ownership then I'd say go for it.
I've never ridden the Burner, and I'm not sure it'd suit my trails with it's low BB, but I'm sure it's fun.

I test rode a Mojo HD btw, and it too was fun, but the 5 Spot won it over.

#5 ·
Let me try to focus my question a bit. Also, I believe you all on build quality, durability and serviceability (these are huge reasons why I'm interested in Turner; I'm tired of 'disposable durable goods'). I also accept that the suspension is buttery smooth, and dialed, and damn near perfect for taking out the bumps in a trail.

How are the newest Turners (Burner especially) for bunny hops, trail obstacles, drops and hammering up climbs in the middle ring? I was forced into 1 X 10 on the Paradox and I find I'm liking it (AZ and NM riding so far).

How do they do in slow tech (especially obstacly climbs), when you're nearly stalled out, then need to make a pedal kick/lunge? I know they give good traction; but can you easily maneuver the bike (i.e. see 'A Hill in Spain' by Chris Agrigg).

I didn't want to say it because I'm hoping to avoid the 'get a hardtail' response (attention to those thinking about saying this, read post #1; I already have two) but I want a bike that rides almost like a hardtail until I need the suspension. I'm aware of Specialized and I don't want one. I want Turner quality (and durability and serviceability), or the equivalent.

Anyone yet use the remote Fox CTD system on a DW Link Turner? How about increasing spring preload or low-speed compression damping?

Steve

#6 ·
What Chris Agrigg does is more about him than the bike but with that said, yes Turners are fun. When people ask me about my 5-Spot, my one word response is fun. It will make you want to hit every little jump and take the nastiest line. At the same time, it will make it up any climb without taking the smile off your face. Don't know what a Burner is like but the 5 Spot is the very definition of a Mountain Bike.

#7 ·
I know what you're saying, you want the hardtail power response on tech trail climbs. I too power the middle ring a lot and is the only chainring I wear out. The new DW is even better at putting the power down when mashing or sprinting. Most other designs, even my HL Spot would absorb some power and compress the rear end some but I still loved attacking Amasa Back in Moab on it, a bunch of pedal up ledges and some heaving trials type ones too at no speed. I think the Burner is just more in the right direction of All Mountain sweetness, slack ha, long top tube for super short stems but a good size cockpit still, & of course the new wheel size benefit. I use a Monarch plus rear shock with 3 compression damping settings you can flick any time, I totally recommend it as you can go from almost completely locked out (great for smooth terrain and high power output on steeps that may only have 3 rocks and will blowoff and take the edge off when you hit them). Then mid for anything pedalling and min for full dh plushness, and with the reservoir and real damping of this shock it works and keeps my 230 lbs rubber side down. Turners can last forever if maintained regularly, they are engineered well and are so laterly stiff you will find you were over steering on most other FS rigs to make the turns. And it can't get any more fun when you can rail a singletrack downhill 130deg spiral turn without correcting at all, feeling like a roller coaster w G's!

#8 ·
The DW Link as it's applied to the 5 Spot isn't the poppiest of designs. It's better at keeping the rear wheel down and tracking the terrain at speed. Great for going fast. This lack of pop has been my one gripe about the design, but really all the pros more than make up for it. It's plush, tracks really well, responsive to pedal input, climbs like a champ, corners great, blah, blah, blah. I've had a custom tune on the shock to try to add more of the pop via firmer rebound and extra mid stroke support - this helped. It's my understanding that the Burner is not quite as plush as the Spot leading to a more playful feel - perhaps the bigger wheels make up for the firmer design. Anyway, I'd try to demo one to see if you like it. I love my Spot.

View attachment 784722

View attachment 784720

View attachment 784721

View attachment 784723

#9 ·
I have ridden a bunch of bike designs and although I like the plushness eat anything trait the Nomad has, it is not as responsive. The 5 Spot is like a scalpel(instrument), it is precise and has sufficient travel for most things. With only 140mm of travel it feels nimble and capable still! Throw a big fork 160mm on it and at 67deg or so and a low bb its super fun to carve and attack the trail, making you want ot come back for more.
LNC NUVUE-it looks like you're running a HV shock can? I'm a big guy and running the LV one and it feels great thoughout the travel to me, Pushed Monarch+.

#10 ·
Generally speaking, the DW link tends to lack the pop. I remember when I went from a IH Sunday to a Turner DHR and all of a sudden I was overshooting every jump. With that said, for example the Mojo HD has got a lot more pop than the IH 6 Point did. I haven't ridden the Burner so I can't comment. Spot from what I recall wasn't all that hot in the pop; if the Burner follows, it may be disappointing there. It's worth a test ride.

_MK

#11 ·
So are you asking if a full suspension bike is fun? In this case a Turner full suspension bike. They don't ride like hardtails which might mean they won't be fun for you, no matter what we say.

I sold a Turner to a guy coming off a hardtail. Most of his questions were about how to lock out the rear suspension.

#12 ·
Thanks for the good information everyone, I really do appreciate it. Part of the reason I ask about the CTD system is that I have that (the remote version) on my Paradox and use it like crazy; and I absolutely love it. So, if I have a plush, active, full suspension bike that I could tighten up/nearly lock out on demand, I would very likely be in Valhalla (the mountain bike version, not the fight all day version, that's SO 1000 A.D.)

Steve

#20 ·
I'd agree with you guys and as a big gear masher the DW really supports my style of power delivery, instead of folding like a noodle. Haha. Yet still being active. My Foes Weasel from 96 was good for power transfer until it got bumpy at the same time I pedaled. A little too much power influenced suspension design. (It was a high forward pivot).

#23 ·
My DW Sultan is fun defined on rugged trails.

"Pop" is really a result of the slightly excessive compression most suspension designs require to pedal well. DW does a good job of isolating pedaling and bump forces, so requires very little compression.

I put a new CTD rear shock on my Sultan last summer. When riding smoother, flowy trails, I find the T position definitely makes the bike feel livelier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.