mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Turner XCE Help Needed Please...

A guy on another forum suggested I post this here for help.

I always wanted one of these but I'm not sure how much repair work this one would actually need - can anyone have a look and help me out please....

Nic

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=162882049

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    well its not fresh or well taken care of, thats for sure. lets assume the dents are no big deal as they dont seem to be huge. the 1 on the downtube is kinda in a bad place, but again its not lookin too big so it may be ok. the stay doesnt look bent but ya cant tell unless ya look straight down the tube so thats a maybe.

yer into a full pivot rebuild kit at $75 american plus international shipping so id say yer into it for a full bill if not more on top of the frame cost... not sure what $250 nz equates to on this end. then theres labor if ya dont do yer own work, say.... $30 - $50.

the f der is junk and totally the wrong spec so theres $35. no idea what a heat set is but that headset looks none too cool and ill suspect its in the same need of replacement as anything else that moves on that frame. thats not the original shock either.

turner offers a $500 trade in on any old frame no matter its condition but i wouldnt offer that much for this poor old beast. maybe a cpl hunny at the most considerin how rough it is and how much needs to be spent just to make it buildable. in the end, id suspect every last part till i checked it out. this ones a crapshoot.

heres a link that breaks down every turner model ever made includin the xce. hope some of this helps.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    I don't think it's terrible, but it's one of the older XCE's with no disc brake mounts. As far as the suspension geo, it's got the more rearward main pivot. No idea if that's a big deal or not. I would say not having disc mounts in the rear is a bigger deal than most anything else. You can source new or used rear ends that pop up here from time to time, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    the f der is junk and totally the wrong spec so theres $35. no idea what a heat set is but that headset looks none too cool and ill suspect its in the same need of replacement as anything else that moves on that frame. thats not the original shock either.
    The front derailleur is actually the right on for the job as there is a cast screw hole in the BB pivot machining which lines up perfectly with the E type. They are also used in the bikes pics I've posted (downloaded from here a long while back). Edit: I may be thinking of a few E types of seen on early RFXs there...

Ok it looks well used but its probably got a good few years in it left and would make a good 98 period build if you wanted to go down that route.

While its not the correct shock they also pop up with reasonable regularity if you keep one a look out.

Maybe ask the seller for so better photos and then make a decision. It could be worth a punt or even as a spare if a better frame comes along.

Edit #2: Is the mark on the down tube a dent or a rub mark from a zip tied Crud Catcher etc??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 06-28-2008 at 07:05 AM.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Off topic a bit, but I surprised TA didn't tell us this was for sale in his part of the world...

mtbr member
    So did you end up saving this olde XCE??

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    Off topic a bit, but I surprised TA didn't tell us this was for sale in his part of the world...
    Haha Im no tarde me or e-bay whore so its not that surprising I missed it, I have my Turners so not looking to buy any new ones while I can't ride.

Unless ya wanted that one for some particular reason it wouldn't be on my list, I'd only want one for nostalgia reasons and then it would need to be in pristine nick, and retro to fit the vintage!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Haha Im no tarde me or e-bay whore so its not that surprising I missed it, I have my Turners so not looking to buy any new ones while I can't ride.
    off topic: the Retrobike auction watch means a worldwide search of all ebay sites takes a matter of seconds. Highly recommended as a first point of call if anyones looking for bike parts on ebay