mtbr member
    May 2007

Hope Turner XCE fork travel? bike build

Hello, I just bought a turner frame from ebay. Here is the link, Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330298463620

I want to build it up but I cant really find any information from its Geometry, or what kind of fork it was made for 80mm? 100mm?.Anyone know these numbers? Any one have one of these? I think its the 2.75in travel version. On the Bottom of the frame its stamped XCE.

I want to build it with the following parts ( not brand new parts but within the past 5 years

Turner XCE frame with 2007 Fox RP3 shock
    V Brakes and levers : Avid digit 7
    Truvative team 3d stem
    FSA alloy handlebar
    mavic Crossride rims
    RF evolve cranks
    sram x9 rear derailleur
    lx front derail
    sram 9.0 swist shifters with ODI lock on grips
    2004 Fox f100 rlc fork
    cannondale seatpost
    Pannaracer firexc tires
    WTB Pure v saddle
    xt cassette 12-34
    all this for $1200

Is this a good deal? its for my GF, I don't ride a 13.5

Bite Me.
    http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/t...er-bikes/back/

Burner XC - 1998.
    The new name for a old frame. Still with 2.75 inches of rear wheel travel, the classic geo is retained for a single crown fork with 65-75mm of travel. We see a factory installed coil shock on a Burner for the 1st time as it comes spec’ed with the new Fox Vanilla TC adding compression and rebound controls. Another 1st is the option of bolt on disc or clamp on rim brake mounts on all ‘98 models. Both adapter styles are now (2008) very hard to find.

Burner XCE - 1998 - 2002.
    The official factory 3.6″ refinement of the classic Burner and a compliment to the newly renamed Burner XC. With relaxed geometry, a single crown fork with 80-90mm of travel was recommended. It was also spec’ed with the Fox Vanilla TC. At 6.7 lbs, it was made much stronger than previous Burners and the Turner all mountain frame is born. In ‘99 it got a 4″ “XR” rocker. This chassis stayed basically the same till its demise.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

4" recommended

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/t...er-bikes/back/

Burner XC - 1998.
    The new name for a old frame. Still with 2.75 inches of rear wheel travel, the classic geo is retained for a single crown fork with 65-75mm of travel. We see a factory installed coil shock on a Burner for the 1st time as it comes spec’ed with the new Fox Vanilla TC adding compression and rebound controls. Another 1st is the option of bolt on disc or clamp on rim brake mounts on all ‘98 models. Both adapter styles are now (2008) very hard to find.

Burner XCE - 1998 - 2002.
    The official factory 3.6″ refinement of the classic Burner and a compliment to the newly renamed Burner XC. With relaxed geometry, a single crown fork with 80-90mm of travel was recommended. It was also spec’ed with the Fox Vanilla TC. At 6.7 lbs, it was made much stronger than previous Burners and the Turner all mountain frame is born. In ‘99 it got a 4″ “XR” rocker. This chassis stayed basically the same till its demise.
    I had the 4" version, and absolutely loved that frame. I had a 100mm fork on it, it was perfectly balanced, could take a beating, and the head angles were "just right" for the time, probably 70 degrees with a 100mm fork. Not sure on the '98 model though.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thief! call the police!

Burner XC - '98.
    new name for a old frame. still with 2.75 inches of rear wheel travel, the classic geo is retained for a single crown fork with 65-75mm of travel. we see a factory installed coil shock on a Buner for the 1st time as it comes speced with the new Fox Vanilla TC adding compression and rebound controls. another 1st is the option of bolt on disc or clamp on rim brake mounts on all '98 models. both adaptor styles are now very hard to find.

Burner XCE - '98 - '02.
    the official factory 3.6" refinement of the classic Burner and a compliment to the newly renamed Burner XC. with relaxed geo, a single crown fork with 80-90mm of travel was reccomended. it was also speced with the Fox Vanilla TC. at 6.7 lbs, it was made much stronger than previous Burners and the Turner all mountain frame is born. in '99 it got a 4" "XR" rocker. this chassis stayed basically the same till its demise.

truth is he asked to use my timeline in his blog. seems he didnt like my lack of caps. theres tons more info on most anything up to '07 in there. i need to update it but might wait till the '09's and '10's are solidified.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    what about the geometry? head angle? seat angle? I want to put a 100mm fork, what do you guys think? or should I just stick with an 80mm fork. just want to get an idea what that size fork will do to the angles. Thanks for the info and replies guys.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    lookin at the small pic in the ad, it looks more like a '96 or later burner than a xce. cant see any indication of the hole in the left dropout for the disc mount and those sure arent 3.6" x or 4" xr rockers. in its current configuration, id go with a 80mm fork.

as far as geo goes, try lookin in web.archive.org for the old turner model charts.
    No, I'm NOT back!

not so super...
    IMO they ride nicely with a 115 mm fork like an older u-turn Reba.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ran an 02 XCE (4 inch rear travel) with a Pike U-turn set at 115mm and loved it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey CCorn - you sure about this? he 4" variety was possible eith an aftermarket upgrade. Turner did not produce such a frame. This may be an old saw but your geometry changes a lot between 80 and 115 mm which are being bantered here. I still ride my '04 Burner. And 110mm makes too-slack a headangle for East Coast rides. This bike needs a 100 (spot) mm fork - period.