Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Turner Warranty

mtbr member

Turner Warranty

So I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into buying a Turner but he seems stuck on the 3 year warranty deal. I've told him all about the awesome CS Turner has etc etc. I even called Turner and they said they would cover any Turner no mater how old. (if it was a common break)
    My friends thinking is, if Turners are so great why dont they have a lifetime warranty like the Trek Top Fuel he is about to purchase. What do I tell him to get him change his mind?

Thanks

Now with flavor!!
    Tell him that trek top fuels are gay.

Because they are.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

... I guess you won't be
    tell your friend to read this thread if he's still on the fence.....it's a bonehead of a tale, with a happy ending....
    Glow in the Dark Spot!

and, I can absolutely guarantee you that Trek would not have covered their frame in this instance....guaranteed.

this is why turner rocks, to 11!
    Last edited by jokermtb; 11-15-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Nothing here
    Show him a picture of this. Don't forget to mention the frames are made from recycled beer cans (they just refinish them)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knollician
    I would have your friend speak to a dealer and define "lifetime". I think he will find out that it is marketing jargon. "Lifetime" usually is meant to assume the life of the frame. Most manufacturers specify this date to be somewhere between 3-5 years. What does he expect to happen in 5 years when his bike breaks? Do you really think Trek is gonna have some 2007 parts laying around? In a market where manufacturers are constantly changing designs to outpace the competition, it is very unlikely that the Fuel design will even be around. The best he could hope for is a crash replacement frame which will cost him a bunch of change.

Buy the bike because it meets his needs, fit properly, and has the features he needs. Not because of the warranty.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

No, that's not phonetic
    Let him get the Trek. Buying twice makes the Turner that much sweeter.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    So is the life time warranty Trek offers really just a gimick?? I use to ride a Y bike back in the day and they replaced that pos 5 times....but then I had an old Fisher that they wouldnt replace and only offered me $240.00 store credit at a Trek store.

I've never seen customer service from anyone like Turner so I'll be a loyal follower for a long time.... I just need some ammo to turn change my friends mind.

mtbr member
    Buy the bike because it meets his needs, fit properly, and has the features he needs. Not because of the warranty.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I've been telling him !

Thanks

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo_1
    So is the life time warranty Trek offers really just a gimick?? I use to ride a Y bike back in the day and they replaced that pos 5 times....but then I had an old Fisher that they wouldnt replace and only offered me $240.00 store credit at a Trek store.

I've never seen customer service from anyone like Turner so I'll be a loyal follower for a long time.... I just need some ammo to turn change my friends mind.
    If your friend wants to buy a Trek because of a play on words, then he clearly is not ready for a Turner. Besides, you'll feel better knowing your bike is better than his
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    treks warranty guys are pretty damn good for a production company, thats the truth. but in reality, ti is right. they will pro rate him on failures after a certain period of time. i think 5 years is about right, give or take.

now...... turner will replace a frame no questions asked for roughly the same amount of time, THEN offer him a crash replacement of $600 credit on top of a trade in credit of the same. top it off with a obviously superior ride quality, build quality and support structure, he has himself a clear winner. where else will he get a replacement part with a phone call and 2 days shipping?

yes, ive been a trek dealer on and off for 11 years. theyre excellent, just not superior.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

tell your friend to read this

Tell your friend to read this thread even outside USA

Outstanding Service

banned
    The Turner crew is very easy to deal with and beyond fair.

If they hook you up, send them something sweet as a thank you.

Lay off the Levers

Go the David!

Trek makes great bikes, they have a great warranty. And yet, as good as their CS is, they simply don't hold a candle to Turner's CS.

Do some searching and you'll find a multitude of threads where people were blown away on how fast and accomidating Turnerbikes, and Greg who busts his arse handling CS, is. I've seen several threads about how they've bailed ppl out who were on a bike trip or got the frames to them in time to leave for that trip. Also check out how they helped their overseas customers. (talk about the extra mile!)

When I had a problem with a frame, I sent them info before hitting the sack and the next morning, their first question was not "What happened"... "It was What color do your want?" and they shipped a replacement that afternoon. Not everything is going to be that simple but you can bet they'll do their very best regardless.

Turner's also honors warranties on used frames. Not many companies do that. They really go the extra mile on stuff. Sombody asked on the forum what happens if the bike breaks out of warranty? Their response was "We'll take care of you". Being a NY'er (with what SCinPC would call a East Coast attitude ) My first reaction was to think that don't mean diddly. If you look at how they went above and beyond for person after person, (many posts about that here) you can see this kind of treatment is the NORM not the exception for them.

I asked DT about it once and he said, exemplary CS is important to him because this kind of treatment goes a long way to set Turnerbikes apart from the rest of the industry. I couldn't agree more.

And all that is icing on the cake b/c the bikes are flat out excellent!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    If you want to simplify the process even further, you call Turner, wait for a reply, then optionally post about your experience here later. This is one company that really does answer emails and wants to talk to you.

DT was on vacation answering my silly emails, as well as the business ones last summer. Amazing. He was working through his family holiday so Greg and Jarret didn't have a shitstorm in the office coming back. "Putting out the fires" as he called it.

Just make the process go smoothly by connecting with the office before going mtbr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Having a lifetime warranty will eventually lead to abuse. Turner CS is THE best and something one should never worries about.

Captain Underpants
    Knowing how great Turner customer service is, I'd buy another one even if it came with NO warranty . . . . .

Your friend needs to get off his fixation with warranty, which is only one of several considerations. Teh question is not "which company has the better warranty" but "which is the better bike?"

When he asks that question the answer is obvious.

or put even more simply, what bike offers the better overall ownership experience?

ya nailed that one rd. its incedibly obvious. but to some its still a desicion, sometimes a tough one.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo_1
    So I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into buying a Turner but he seems stuck on the 3 year warranty deal. I've told him all about the awesome CS Turner has etc etc. I even called Turner and they said they would cover any Turner no mater how old. (if it was a common break)
    My friends thinking is, if Turners are so great why dont they have a lifetime warranty like the Trek Top Fuel he is about to purchase. What do I tell him to get him change his mind?

Thanks
    I did NOT have a good experience with Trek and their lifetime warranty. Longstory short, I was without my road bike for 12 weeks while they mishandled the warranty and gave me the runaround. I was not told the truth, not made to feel as though my business mattered and came away unhappy with their product. Unhappy enough to commit to never buy a Trek or Trek owned product again. Ever.

Turner CS is legendary.

devils advocate time. was it a trek issue or a lbs issue? one can look to be the other dependin on how its handled and this does go both ways. trust me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    From what I've seen with Trek's warranty service, I think they take care of you. However, the sense of urgency on getting you back on their bikes is not quite the same as Turner. I think DT and the crew truly empathize with us as riders when our bikes are out of commission.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    devils advocate time. was it a trek issue or a lbs issue? one can look to be the other dependin on how its handled and this does go both ways. trust me.
    LBS (#1 Trek dealer in the country according to them) did the pass through to Trek. Trek denied the initial warranty. LBS put their hands up. I pursued it further with Trek, was made an unacceptable offer. Pursued it further, was made an acceptable offer, and went back to the LBS with documentation to get it going. 12 weeks later I get my frame back. Many issues in between, but ultimately, it seems that I was the only one tracking and managing the process. I dealt with warranties when I worked in a shop ages ago, and we, as the LBS, knew the status of the warranty, and kept the client updated. That's what I expected. That and to have the LBS act as an advocate for me with the issue. I guess spending $3k for a road bike didn't qualify me as a valuable customer.

I choose to take my business to a shop that appreciates their clientele and wants to see them satisfied. FWIW the bike shop said that they thought it should be a warranty, but with Trek's initial response bowed out.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ya nailed that one rd. its incedibly obvious. but to some its still a desicion, sometimes a tough one.
    You are so right. Before I bought my Flux I remember looking at Titus, Intense, SC, Trek, Specy, Niner, and a few others. Drove myself nuts. While a few had minor advantages over Turner, none beat Turner in overall quality and rideability. (And let's not forget cultability)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Zilla said: I've seen several threads about how they've bailed ppl out who were on a bike trip or got the frames to them in time to leave for that trip.

That Was Me (and many others, no doubt)

Once in the middle of a trip to Moab. Riding time lost = half day at most.

Once just before departure to the Land of Team Sanchez. Frame arrival in one day, built that night, left the next morning.

Most of the big companies are really decent on warranties, but there is always lost riding time, sometimes a lot of it!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

wow. bad days like that do no one any good. glad ya had the know to push it in the correct direction since the lbs lost its balls. had the same happen to me and im inclined to make a few more calls to satisfy my custy and theirs. this is exacly why its worth my time. but then again im a obstinent old prick.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ok, I am the friend that Velo's trying to talk into buying a Turner. I have several points here:

1. Has anyone out there rode the '07 TopFuel ? Rumor has it at 23lbs and silky smooth ride. I have not, but that is 2 lbs under the Flux which is a big deal for racing.

2. The LBS that I'm planning on purchasing from is the bomb, they give me serious discounts, free labor, and fantastic customer support, they do not however deal Turner. There would have to be a big difference between the '07 top fuel and Turner flux to swing me away from my LBS.

3. I have broken 3 Frames and Trek/GaryFisher has had a 1 - 3 week turnaround. No problems at all with them, other then downtime which isn't a big deal b/c I had a back up bike hanging in the garage.

4. I WILL break the frame, it's not IF it's WHEN. If it's 4 yrs down the road I want somthing in writing saying that I'll have it replaced. It seems odd to me that Turner, Titus and Intense all SAY: "ah, don't worry about it we'll take care of you outside of warrantee" and by reading numerous threads here It would appear that they are in fact backing their product this way, if this is the case why not just put it in writting ?? A little side story here: Titus dealer told me not to worry I won't be able to break a Titus RacerX... HA ! I'm no materials engineer, but my understanding is : If it's Light, Aluminum and being ridden hard, it WILL break eventually.

I will concede that I have brought the Flux back onto my: " possible next bike" list. Mainly because the first I heard of the 600$ credit thing was last night. I Know Velo got hosed with Trek's $240 credit, If I'm hearing right even if it's 10 years old when the Turner cracks it's worth $600 ?? If so then we're back to the real comparison points: Ride, Price, Weight... Could somone explain in depth how that credit works ? Did I mention Top Fuel's were supposedly weiging in at 23lbs fully built ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast