Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turner or Titus

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Turner or Titus

I've narrowed my choice of a new steed down to either a Turner or a Titus. The Titus boys say any frame they have will dominate a Turner.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    of course they do and id do the same if i were them. as a consumer, id take a turner, and i have, 4 times. i hope ya find the right bike for you. what frames ya lookin at?
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Titus post-Chris Cocalis has now raised the prices of their Taiwanese made frames to the point where those guys on that board can't argue the savings anymore. Basically, they are in domestically built pricing, but with Taiwanese manufacture.

No, that's not phonetic
    Give us specific models and we can help you. The Switchblade and SuperMoto are cool. I did not care for the El Guapo on my demo. Never ridden a MotoLite or an RX.

The Titus boys are seriously confused. But then again we knew that- their on Titus's.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

involuntary dismounter
    that was my final choice too...titus racerx vs flux...in the end i made my choice on extra cush of the flux, and the unbeatable customer service at turner.

being in arizona, there are a lot of titus bikes around...and people love them. stories of cs and ride quality pre-chris-bail were very positive. as for recent changes in the company...i just don't know...

i do have to say, i am completely satisfied with my flux...it is everything i wanted in a bike and more. i love it!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Lay off the Levers
    Titus has a very loyal following just like Turner.
    Their bikes are nice looking and great riding, also like Turner.
    I won't get into the where they're made thing. Consider that a personal decision.
    I won't get into the HL vs SSP debate. If the TNT review thread does not convince you it's a non-issue, no rational arguement will.

The general feedback on the differences between the two brands in similar-class models is: The Titus tend to feel more racy, nimble accelerative. The Turners have a more stable, bring-it-on feel. One will make you feel more gas-it-n-go! the other will make you search for more challenging technical terrain. The magnitude of these differences is influenced by your terrain, and predisposition towards one or the other.

Take some time to clearly define what you think you want out of your next bike now and down the line. Then we can help you compare the personalities between the similar models.

If you're seriously considering a Turner you should also budget for a red couch.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I won't get into the where they're made thing. Consider that a personal decision.
    I won't get into the HL vs SSP debate. If the TNT review thread does not convince you it's a non-issue, no rational arguement will.

The general feedback on the differences between the two brands in similar-class models is: The Titus tend to feel more racy, nimble accelerative. The Turners have a more stable, bring-it-on feel. One will make you feel more gas-it-n-go! the other will make you search for more challenging technical terrain. The magnitude of these differences is influenced by your terrain, and predisposition towards one or the other.

Take some time to clearly define what you think you want out of your next bike now and down the line. Then we can help you compare the personalities between the similar models.

If you're seriously considering a Turner you should also budget for a red couch.

Tharr she be!

As for T's comment... isn't he helpful???

Just roll it......

Wow, some objectivity......that was a good expanation, Zilla. Nice restraint too!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I too originally had it narrowed down to a Titus RX and Turner Flux. After riding both, the Flux blew me away. Both fit great geometry wise but the feel is what separates the two apart. Titus bikes are too stiff feeling for me (IMO), I need squish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Titus post-Chris Cocalis has now raised the prices of their Taiwanese made frames to the point where those guys on that board can't argue the savings anymore. Basically, they are in domestically built pricing, but with Taiwanese manufacture.
    I am not trying to be antagonistic and I am ignorant about manufacturing processes but I do wonder why you consider this a strong argument - If I think about cars I would much rather have a car made in Asia Pacific rather than America. Why do you believe American made bike frames are so much better? I bought my Turner cos of how it rides and the CS not because of where it was built.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Since I just made the switch from a 2005 Moto-lite to the 2006 RFX...I'll chime in.

The moto-lite is a little more XC'ish than the RFX, but still pretty strong. On my Moto-lite, I switched the chainstays to the FR ones for better tire clearance...but still have to use the normal seatstays. Using a 2.35" nevegal on the rear, I would still have a little buzz on the seatstay of the Moto-lite when taking hard corners. This has definitely been remedied with the RFX since it'll supposedly take 2.7" tires. While my RFX is slightly heavier than the Moto-lite....it is still 31.34lbs with pedals, so that's not too bad. The strength of the frame and tire clearance are definitely plusses and worth the trade-off on the slight weight difference.

I have never ridden a 5-spot to compare to the Moto-lite....so sorry I can't give those comparisons. I personally don't like the looks of the El Guapo and would definitely prefer a 2006 RFX compared to it. I also am not too hot on the 2007 RFX either as it appears to be a 6-spot trail bike instead of a light duty FR bike. But those are just my opinions.

Do It Yourself
    At this level there are only going to be subtle difference in the ride as both make great bikes. Carefully check the fit and go with what you really want. If you post up which bikes you're looking at, the pundits can dissect and ANALize further.
    Long Live Long Rides

Shot Down in Flames...

That's all I'm saying.

D.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I am not trying to be antagonistic and I am ignorant about manufacturing processes but I do wonder why you consider this a strong argument - If I think about cars I would much rather have a car made in Asia Pacific rather than America. Why do you believe American made bike frames are so much better? I bought my Turner cos of how it rides and the CS not because of where it was built.
    Not a fan of american automotive myself, but the build of the American bikes in this category can't be denied.

Someone here put it:

"Manufacturers are going overseas to make their bikes and the quality of their laborforce is not their #1 reason for going"

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock

That's all I'm saying.

D.
    I agree, trollin and watching.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Both are great

Pick which one fits you best and buy it. If neither fits you get a semi-custom Ventana.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by una velocitÓ
    The Titus boys say any frame they have will dominate a Turner.
    Got any stones? Fess up little wee boy... who made that comment?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by una velocitÓ
    I've narrowed my choice of a new steed down to either a Turner or a Titus. The Titus boys say any frame they have will dominate a Turner.
    I'm not Gonzo because...ooops, wrong thread. Wait a minute, you're not A48PStrike; are you?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    As for T's comment... isn't he helpful???
    Pose a vague question, get a vague answer.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Got any stones? Fess up little wee boy... who made that comment?

Nobody!

But it's stil fun to take the bait, and spit it out.

My cup runneth over
    I have owned both, loved both and would buy both again. Does that help?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

This perfectly sums it up. Both are great, but the Titus is less plush and snappier in its rear suspension geometry and has a bit quicker handling with it's steeper head-tube. You have to decide which ride you like better. Personally, I am not really baised between the brands, I have one Turner and two Titus bikes, but to me, with Chris Coacolis having left Titus, I would no longer buy one of their bikes. In my book Chris is Titus, the same as Dave Turner is Turner bikes. When the soul leaves, the rest will follow.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

banned
    But don't count Titus out. Pat Hus is there to pick up the reigns.

... I guess you won't be
    Homer, or not-Homer....that's what it boils down to.....either way, make sure when you order your Tightus, you get gayass red....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

So is your face
    Ride em' both and pick the one that fits you best. I know you're probably obsessing over the decision to pick exactly the right bike, but honestly you really can't go wrong with either. Especially with the Titus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast