mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Turner shops in VA area

Hi!
    Im traveling from Norway to Quantico 24-30 Oct, to run the USMC marathon 27 Oct, and Im thinking of buying a Sultan in the US. Does anyone know where to make a good deal on a complete Sultan in the area Washington DC/Quantico? (Or any good deals on the net as I can get the bike shipped to a colleague in Quantico). Im staying in Quantico, but its no problem to drive a couple of hours. Maybe in here has a used Sultan to sell to a Norwegian viking? :-) Im 6`3 (187cm)/107kg and should use a `large`I guess...

I owned a Sixpack for two years. Very nice bike, but a little on the heavy side for what Im riding these days.

Thanx!

TJR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Shenandoah Bicycle Company. 540-437-9000.
    They are a couple of hours from D.C. but well worth the trip. Great shop and great trails nearby as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok. Thanks! I got an answer from Shenandoah, saying 5000USD for a full XT Sultan. I also came across Custom Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Hand-made wheels | Red Barn Bicycles in another thread. Selling Turner. Not far from Quantico :-)

How come Turners site is not selling complete bikes for the time being?

mtbr member
    Cowboy,
    Red Barn is in Montana...about a 4 day drive from Quantico. I live in the DC area and bought my 2012 5 Spot from Shenandoah Bicycle Company and is about the only Turner retailer within driving distance. As TJR said they are a great shop with outstanding customer service. If you have never seen the western part of VA I would highly recommend the drive and visit to Harrisonburg, VA.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Oh, good luck on your run too!!
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shenandoah BC is a great dealer and as pointed out the riding is some of the best. Call Tim! We do sell complete bikes on the Turner Bikes site, but when there is a authorized dealer like SBC so close to where you will be, please support Shenandoah.

Cowboy, you should ride a XL.

DT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    SBC is a great shop, highly recommended!

mtbr member
    +2 or 3 for SBC. Great shop. If you want to learn about the biking in the area and talk to the right people, that is the shop to go to. Great people and great shop. Highly recommended.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Cowboy,
    Something to keep in mind is that SBC can have low Turner inventory on hand. They typically have to order from CA, which can take about a week to get to SBC. You may already know this from talking to SBC, but thought I would mention since you are traveling a considerable distance. Hate to have you show up and thereís no bike your size available.
    Talk to Tim @ SBC, if you havenít already, and he will take care of you!

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Cowboy,
    Red Barn is in Montana...about a 4 day drive from Quantico. I live in the DC area and bought my 2012 5 Spot from Shenandoah Bicycle Company and is about the only Turner retailer within driving distance. As TJR said they are a great shop with outstanding customer service. If you have never seen the western part of VA I would highly recommend the drive and visit to Harrisonburg, VA.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Oh, good luck on your run too!!
    Hi!
    4 days will be a little to much, even for a Turner..... :-) I guess I was a little quick in checking my google search. There is a red barn bikeshop in VA, but I dont think they sell Turners:
    Red Barn Bicycles | Bike Repair Shop | Williamsburg, Virginia

I have mailed Shenandoah BC and they can help me out with a Sultan. I see it is a 2 hr drive from USMC Quantico, and thats ok.

Ill see what Ill do. Concerning the marathon, thank you, I need it.... :-)

Trygve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trygvecowboy View Post
    Hi!
    4 days will be a little to much, even for a Turner..... :-) I guess I was a little quick in checking my google search. There is a red barn bikeshop in VA, but I dont think they sell Turners:
    Red Barn Bicycles | Bike Repair Shop | Williamsburg, Virginia

I have mailed Shenandoah BC and they can help me out with a Sultan. I see it is a 2 hr drive from USMC Quantico, and thats ok.

Ill see what Ill do. Concerning the marathon, thank you, I need it.... :-)

Trygve
    Cowboy,
    If you get the Turner let me know. There is a decent trail near Quantico called Fountain Head...would be a great place to meet up and take the Sultan out for a test spin. That is, if your legs are willing.

All the best...I love my 5-Spot, I'm sure you will enjoy the Sultan.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cowboy,
    If you get the Turner let me know. There is a decent trail near Quantico called Fountain Head...would be a great place to meet up and take the Sultan out for a test spin. That is, if your legs are willing.

Cheers,
    Ok, Ill let you know if I go for a Sultan while in VA. A ride at Fountainhead sounds nice. And by the way, do you know any good Specialized dealers in VA? Im also looking at a Stumpy FSR 29, if I can find a good offer. But I prefer the Sultan though...

Trygve

mtbr member
    And by the way, do you know any good Specialized dealers in VA? Im also looking at a Stumpy FSR 29, if I can find a good offer. But I prefer the Sultan though...
    Bought my first mountain bike (a rigid steel Stumpy!) from Olde Town Bicycles in 1995; haven't been in for probably fifteen years, but they've got three locations now so they must be doing something right.

That said, if the Sultan is your preference (I know it would be mine- wouldn't want to be dealing with a Brain shock in Norway, among other reasons), why complicate things? Sounds like Turner/SBC (the little one in VA) can get you exactly what you're looking for.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    You will be in my old stomping grounds, I used to live near Quantico, taught a class there and went to college in Williamsburg.

Germantown Cycles in Md is only a 1 hour drive from Quantico and I thought at one time they sold Turners. Though, you might want to check if they still do.

The drive to Shenandoah from Quantico is incredible. Take 66 west out to Front Royal and then jump on Skyline Drive. Exit at Thornton Gap on 211 West. You will not be disappointed. It will be fall, the leaves will be changing color, etc.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cowboy,

Cheers,
    Hi there!
    I ended up buying a 2013 Cannondale Trigger 1 29er at 50% discount here in Norway, so the Sultan will be for later. That means I wont be biking during my stay in Quantico :-) Happy trails :-)

Trygve

mtbr member
    Hi there!
    I ended up buying a 2013 Cannondale Trigger 1 29er at 50% discount here in Norway, so the Sultan will be for later. That means I wont be biking during my stay in Quantico :-) Happy trails :-)

Trygve
    Congrats on finding a deal...hope you enjoy the Cannondale. When you are done with it highly recommend trying a Turner...you won't be disappointed.
    Good luck on the run!
    Cheers,