Thread: Turner SFX

mtbr member

Turner SFX

Too much time on my hands in the winter. I picked up a polished rear triangle for my solid color Orange Sultan so I could swap the rears later if I wanted a little variety. While I was looking at the triangle setting on the bench, I glanced over at my polished 2001 RFX hanging from the ceiling -- Hmmmmm.

If I swapped the 26" RFX rear triangle for the Sultan rear, how would that work? I'd need a tall 29" fork --- like the F135 on my Sultan. And then I'd need some 29" wheels like the extra wheelsets over in the corner (it can't be this easy). The only additional part is a new chain! So instead of picking up a Lenz Lunchbox for that monster truck ride, I get my "SFX" with 67 degree head angle, a 15" BB and 6+ inches of travel in a 29er. With the SnoCat rims it weighs in at 34.5 lbs and with the WTB LaserDisk and Hope Pro II it weighs 33 lbs. Hell, my Sultan weighs 30.5 lbs.

I'm guessing some will critique the high BB but there is room for adjustment by changing rockers and using smaller tires. The RR tires are maybe 1/4 inch taller from ground to axle than a 2.1 tire and the 5.5 rockers may allow the rear triangle to relax a little but why bother? I like it just the way it is!

This configuration would work good for riding Maine's wet rock crawling trails. Surely not flickable or even fast. But for aggressive big rock ridiing with a muddy underlayer this bike seems like it would be fun. I won't get a chance to ride this configuration on dirt/mud for months but spinning around the yard shows this to be a stupid simple conversion that feels right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

not so super...
    Cool stuff mbx.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Sultan 4x5 snowbike:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Dishwasher Safe
    ^Man that looks like it'd be a beast to pedal around.
    Last edited by deadbolt; 01-10-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    ^Man that looks like it'd be a beast to pedal around.
    But I'd bet it be awesome to ride on sand or snow...

mtbr member

room

How much room did you have in the rear and up front after getting the tires on? Very cool idea, I wonder if DT has many of these parts lying around, you might have sparked something....

It might also solve my winter bike dilema.

mtbr member

Plenty

Esq, I measured nearly 1/2" of diameter clearance at the seat stay arch. These RR tires are about as big as you can get in 29" rubber.

TScheesy used 26" Large Marge wheels and Gazzi/Endomorph tires on his but (I think) his rear triangle is a specific year RFX that had a super wide seat stay arch and he fitted a 26" 3.0 Gazzi on the rear. I tried mounting my 3.0 Gazzalodi 26" tire on a 26" Snocat wheel (the one I loaned you) to the Sultan rear triangle and it would not fit. The sidewall bulge of the Gazzi mounted on a 26" SnoCat is too close to the axle; therefore it contacted the chainstay rather than fitting into the tire arch of the Sultan triangle. I also tried my 80mm 26" Remolino wheel with both the 3.0 Gazzi and the 4.0 Endomorph and neither even came close to fitting.

For those not willing to buy a snow specific bike like a Wildfire, Pugsly or Fatback, a fat tired 29er is a better choice than a smaller tired bike. The stabiity and flotation (of sorts) is better with a longer and wider footprint. Buy a cheap hardtail frame, like an AIR9 with plenty of tire clearance, get the widest 29" rim you cam find and mount wide 29" tires run at low pressure. You won't be able to float over 4 inches of loose snow but you will be able to ride snowmobile trails and some packed walking trails in the "right conditions".

BTW, I didn't build this as a snow specific bike but rather as a burley 29er.
    Last edited by mtnbikerx; 01-11-2009 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Cool frankenbiking! I always wondered about this possibility, but figured the BB would be sky high. 15" is definitely on the high side, but not totally outrageous for a 6" travel 29"er. It would probably be worth trying some 5 Spot rockers to get it down and balance the travel though IMO. How much tire/seatstay yoke clearance is there at bottom out?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member

Here we go :-)

I have my original Sultan rockers as well as PUSH rockers on my Sultan. I guess I should do a little research. Post up later this week.

mtbr member
    Would be a great Moab bike with all the travel and large wheels.
    Too wet to ride!

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Sultan 4x5 snowbike:

Any idea if this would work on any 29er or do you think that this is a old Sultan only trick. I've about had it with this snow, I've been riding on 2-5 inches for 2 weeks and it's going to snow again tonight. Starting to really cramping my style..
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member

Don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Any idea if this would work on any 29er or do you think that this is a old Sultan only trick. I've about had it with this snow, I've been riding on 2-5 inches for 2 weeks and it's going to snow again tonight. Starting to really cramping my style..
    I don't think this will work, as mtbikerx left his big wheel and tire set up and I could not fit that on my 08 Sultan. Just wouldn't fit. I ended up getting frustrated and looking elsewhere, found an On One Inbred bike with a custom waltworks fork, Large marge front wheel, and regular rear wheel for like $500.00. I'll spruce it up a bit, and go ride the trails.

mtbr member
    I don't think there is any Sultan/29er content in TS's snowbike. RFX rear with 26" Large Marges and a stopped down Mav DUC on the front. I'm sure TS will correct my assumptions if in error.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    I don't think there is any Sultan/29er content in TS's snowbike.
    Other than the frame you mean - great looking FrankenSultan! I didn't know SnowCat even made a 29er rim. I've just been riding the RFX with fat rubber at low pressure and it is working OK on the marginally packed out trails, anything over 3-4" and you just wallow and slide. Last year I tried to run the singlespeed as my winter bike and it was totally impossible to ride w/o gearing to get through the loose stuff.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    The effective wheel diameter of an Endomorph is 29". It would take a pretty dedicated 29er wacko to argue that it is not functionally equivalent to a 29er.

There aren't many frames that would pass tires like that. If folks really want snow bikes, the cheapest and least headachy way is to get a Pugsley. If dw and DT really wanted to showcase their engineering prowess, all the new Turner rear triangles should be interchangeable and accomodate 3.0 tires on 65mm rims.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The effective wheel diameter of an Endomorph is 29". It would take a pretty dedicated 29er wacko to argue that it is not functionally equivalent to a 29er.

There aren't many frames that would pass tires like that. If folks really want snow bikes, the cheapest and least headachy way is to get a Pugsley. If dw and DT really wanted to showcase their engineering prowess, all the new Turner rear triangles should be interchangeable and accomodate 3.0 tires on 65mm rims.
    Well, I do have a new tig welder on the way.. I guess I could craft a new rear end for a dw-Sultan or Mach 429. Add some lightweight 83mm cranks and design it with a 150 rear end to keep the chainline OK. That may actually work. hmmmm

dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I don't think this will work, as mtbikerx left his big wheel and tire set up and I could not fit that on my 08 Sultan. Just wouldn't fit. I ended up getting frustrated and looking elsewhere, found an On One Inbred bike with a custom waltworks fork, Large marge front wheel, and regular rear wheel for like $500.00. I'll spruce it up a bit, and go ride the trails.
    It's never easy, is it?!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

No, that's not phonetic
    .. I guess I could craft a new rear end for a dw-Sultan...
    Sign me up for the second unit you make. As long as you are putting sweat equity in the project, make it a 100mm bb and give it room for a 4.0 tire on a 100mm rim. As they say, think big.

Bite Me.
    Better make the stay yokes extra big to give clearance for tire chains as well
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Second that...

Well, I do have a new tig welder on the way.. I guess I could craft a new rear end for a dw-Sultan or Mach 429. Add some lightweight 83mm cranks and design it with a 150 rear end to keep the chainline OK. That may actually work. hmmmm

count me in as well, seriously, how great would it be to simply swap a rear end, wheels, a fork, and a bottom bracket to get your summer/fall Turner converted to a winter snow bike?

Anybody want an Inbred?

mtbr member

Just like the Turner jerseys

dw, sign me up for that rear triangle conversion too. Four and a quarter inches between stays will do it. Then I can take these tires off my Wildfire and mount 'em on the SFX.

Does this angle make my Butt look big?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Not 6"

Long day today but I went out in the garage and clamped the SFX in the bike stand, blocked the front wheel (so the clamped bike couldn't rotate) removed the spring from the shock and found a long dowel to measure the rear movement with. I stood and clamped the dowel vertically along side the rear axle and then cycled the suspension up and down a half dozen times marking the dowel at each endpoint. Without compressing the bump stop I measured 5.25 inches of rear axle movement. Certainly plenty for the purpose but it gets me to wondering what travel my RFX had when all the time I thought it was 6 inches. Again, whatever the travel is / was is very acceptable to me but I figured you all might like to know what suspension travel this particular set up delivered. When compressing the rear suspension hard up against the rubber bump stop, the rear tire was about an inch from the seat post.

Next step is to try fitting the Sultan rocker and also the PUSH rocker to see the effect of these on the BB height.