mtbr member

Turner Rider to visit USA - where to ride?

Hi to the Turner nation!
    I will be travelling to from New Zealand to San Francisco for work in August. Hopefully my wife will be able to come with me and we will tack 7-10 days riding on to the trip (if her mother will mind the kids!). While I'd love to return to Moab (the only place I've ridden in the States I suspect that would be a poor choice at that time of year.

We would need to be able to rent bikes as it is not woth bringing them for that length of time, though Margot might just have to pick up a Flux while we're there. My Spot will stay at home.

Ideas as to where to go from US riders would be welcome. West Coast preferably and easy access via commuter airlines. My best thought so far is north of the border to Whistler.

if you can help - thanks... if not - next thread

mtbr member
    I'd recommend fishing for some suggestions over in the California -Nocal forum or at least refining your thread topic to a more specific area than the entire US of A.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong coming to the Pacific Northwest-you can ride Washington and you're close to BC; ride Whistler and hit one of the Float Plane trips, there's a few guys on the list that go up there all the time. Let me know if you're headed this way and we'll hook you up with some rides. you can look up bbtc.org-they have a lot of rides on the calendar. If you're looking for DH rides, you can rent bikes at Fluidride in Seattle.
    turtle

Living the Dream

Stay in NORCAL

Quote Originally Posted by Apteryx
    Hi to the Turner nation!
    I will be travelling to from New Zealand to San Francisco for work in August. Hopefully my wife will be able to come with me and we will tack 7-10 days riding on to the trip (if her mother will mind the kids!). While I'd love to return to Moab (the only place I've ridden in the States I suspect that would be a poor choice at that time of year.
    Lake Tahoe is only 4 hours away and is gorgeous and has great riding (Mr Toads wild ride, Tahoe rime trim trail, flume). Also, downieville is only three hours from San Fran. It is about an hour from San Francisco. Downieville also has several great rides and bike rental places --- look up Yuba Expeditions. Use the MTBR search function for pictures of Mr. Toads & Downieville.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the hints guys - from this far away it is hard to know where to start.

crucial info I left out was we are 40 something long time riders looking for great views, technical single track trail riding. We climb well, not big on drops ladders etc.

cheers

Living the Dream

Tahoe & downieville will fit your bill nicey

Quote Originally Posted by Apteryx
    Thanks for the hints guys - from this far away it is hard to know where to start.

crucial info I left out was we are 40 something long time riders looking for great views, technical single track trail riding. We climb well, not big on drops ladders etc.

cheers
    There is great swimming in tahoe & in the Yuba River in Downieville for post ride enteretainment.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

... I guess you won't be
    after riding around tahoe and Northstar [ski area], the hiking/biking/kayaking opportunities are vast....the scenery is fantastic, especially the jaw-dropping vistas you get from the Flume Trail high up the cliffs overlooking Lake Tahoe - the flume trail isn't that technical but the climbs will challenge your legs, but the view and the cliff hugging trail are unique and spectacular - check it out on the web....and there are lots of great places to eat all around the lake.....august should be perfect weather there.

here's a shot from a trip last summer - this section was the only real hike-a bike....and yes, the water is THAT blue....
    Last edited by jokermtb; 05-21-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies