mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Turner Rail, shock options?

Hello,

I'm wondering what shock would be best on a Turner Rail? The bike will be used as a short-travel freeride bike, not for 4x racing. What is the leverage ratio on this bike? Would it be more conducive to an air shock (Fox Float) or a coil shock (Romic)?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Being a short travel FR bike, you'll want some progressiveness in your shock. Either an air shock or a coil shock with progressive tune ability. Do the DHX's (air or coil) come in 6.5x1.5? Avoid the linear Romic. A float or RP3 will be progressive by nature, but won't offer the tuning options of the DHX's. My choice would be DHX-coil for a FR bike - less chance to leave you straded if something goes wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Being a short travel FR bike, you'll want some progressiveness in your shock. Either an air shock or a coil shock with progressive tune ability. Do the DHX's (air or coil) come in 6.5x1.5? Avoid the linear Romic. A float or RP3 will be progressive by nature, but won't offer the tuning options of the DHX's. My choice would be DHX-coil for a FR bike - less chance to leave you straded if something goes wrong.
    As far as I know, DHX coil does in fact exist in 6.5x1.5. It is specced on Clifcats. How one would obtain one, I don't have a clue as Fox will most likely blow you off if you call them up directly and ask.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Clifcat website is wrong. I talked to Billy about it and he said the rear shock on his 4X bike is 7.875" i-i. I don't believe the DHX comes that small. When I lookeed into a burly 6.5" shock for my Intense, I was told to get a custom tuned Romic. I wound up using a longer eye to eye DHX and squeezing it in, but I don't know if it will work on a Rail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi,

Since my Romic kept on blowing seals, leaking nitrogen/oil...

I now run a cheap-ass RS SID 165mm shock.

Don't know your weight or riding style, you plan on really Freeriding it?
    Like ascending too???

For sure a airshock might work over a coil like a Romic.
    (without the nitrogen the Romic is useless anyway, no rebound control!)

Now-a-days airshocks do hold there air regarding being left stranded / durability when in tha Bush Bush / Epic FR Ride.
    Pedalpusher for life!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the bike is a 3:1 ratio.
    I had fairly good luck with a pushed float R on mine (just requires a fairly high pressure due to the ratio) up until friday when it got stolen

I dont think that you will find many options in the 6.5 x 1.5 size that the frame requires.